Opinions on the Race King 29er 2.2 standard folding tyre?- Mtbr.com
    808+909 = Party Good Time

Opinions on the Race King 29er 2.2 standard folding tyre?

Have the chance to get a set quite cheap. Currently running Exiwolf 2.3s. Ride mainly XC hardpack, gravel, leafy terrain with very occassional mud and with lots of climbing on a rigid SS.

Also use a rack with a child seat from time to time in case that weight would make a difference.

Find the Exiwolfs are good but sometimes feel they may have a little too much tread on smoother sections or maybe its a weight thing.

Opinions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have ridden both tires this summer. They both roll equally nice on pavement and hardpack and therefore make good all around tires. As a front tire, they both seem to wash out easy around corners. Either would make a nice back tire but if you want a front tire with holding power around corners look at something else.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    These tires are pretty true to weight. Feel awesome on the trail. Seem to roll like slicks on the road. Roll great off road also.

With all that said. I don't like them very much in sandy corners. I am still playing with air pressure. but 25psi with me weighing 230 seems like to much. Am going to try lower tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    no volume, tire is short and NO VOLUME!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    You are misreading or misunderstanding something. The Continental Race King 2.2 is officially HUGE (link)
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    May 2006
    point for further discussion. This is my new permanent rear race tire. Only othe tire would probably be a XDX 1.8 or XR 1.8.

Front I need to find something with more side bite. Not the tires fault just my lack of handling skills/confidence,

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    It is a very tall tire, plenty of volume. I agree that it is not the go-to tire for the front, especially in sand or loose stuff. I am running them F/R on the Lev, tubeless on Flows and they are fast and fast. Did I mention fast? But, they are a very decent trail tire...IF...things are pretty packed down.

Running it rear only on the SS with a Captain Control 2.2 front with tubes on narrower rims. It seems like the tire never shows any wear. I like them.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    I'm guessing you saw, used, or bought a Cannondale last year that came with the first (and quickly abandoned) version of the Race King 2.2 that was really a 1.9. They redesigned it into a true 2.2 before selling it to the public

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I'm guessing you saw, used, or bought a Cannondale last year that came with the first (and quickly abandoned) version of the Race King 2.2 that was really a 1.9. They redesigned it into a true 2.2 before selling it to the public
    Actually I bought it online along with a Mtn King... the RK was larger than the MK but not by much so maybe I did get a hold of a first gen RK. I even called the e-tailer and complained that the tire did not match what I was reading on MTBR. I expected much more volume, anyway I needed the tire for a race the next day and decided to give it a go. One race and one flat later.... I gave the tire to a friend, as I had no intent on remounting due to small size and low volume. That one flat cost me 4 places in the finish.... from 1st to 5th

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    This is what I have on my 2009 Cannondale 29 2 (on rear) which came with my bike. And yea its easily a 1.9 but I did email Conti about this and it sounds like they will replace it if I give them some photos of the tire on the rim.

Would it be possible to send me a digital image or two showing th tires on
    the bike just for identification purposes? A tread shot and side shot will
    suffice.
    That's the quote from the email.

pink

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been using them for a few weeks...stick like glue to hardpack or dust on crust trail. Pretty good on dry roots/rocks. Very loose in sand/gravel, worthless on wet roots/rocks. Love the volume.

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    I am considering one for the rear over the 2.2 Mountain King.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Mine are exactly the same width as a Geax Saguro 2.2.
    One of the easiest tires I've ever set up tubeless.
    The only place they are not my choice is in loose, gooey, wet conditions. Haven't had the opportunity to try them in sand.
    I run them front and rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    26" RK 2.2 on the rear for 4 weeks or something, only had 1 muddy ride where it was surprisingly fine, I failed to climb 1 slimey muddy bank but to be honest I've failed with mud tyres in the same place.

Great on the Thursday night mixed XC and road SAD ride, makes the road parts less noticeable.

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    I've just fitted a set of Rk's after slashin my racing ralph's on the weekend. Much prefer the Racing Ralph to be honest, the RK has markedly less rear grip when climbing out of the saddle and the front refuses to grip in high speed coners when tipped over. I'll be putting the RR's back on at the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fezi
    I've just fitted a set of Rk's after slashin my racing ralph's on the weekend. Much prefer the Racing Ralph to be honest, the RK has markedly less rear grip when climbing out of the saddle and the front refuses to grip in high speed coners when tipped over. I'll be putting the RR's back on at the weekend.
    For tubeless conversion, give the RR Snakeskin versions a try next time. I've had great luck with one to the point that I've worn 90% of the tread off it. It will be my race tire again next year, barring some new Superstar for the 2010 model year.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Members who have read this thread: 0