One Less RIP9 in the world.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

One Less RIP9 in the world.

I have searched but can't find this anywhere, so here is a most amazing little tip on how to change a chain.

Who is this bloke? Surely it is some kind of joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7VDIKNWGlk&feature=player_embedded#!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This was terrifying to watch! The only explanations I could come up with:

1) The guy has a bizarre sense of humor AND has more money than he knows what to do with.
    2) The rear triangle of the frame was broken anyhow in some way (along with the rear derailleur), and he decided to make this video as a joke
    3) He is the stupidest guy on earth.

I did think he was fairly clever in shaving down the piece of wood to repair the frame after. Now he has a removable gate for future chain replacements! That's good design engineering.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet
    I have searched but can't find this anywhere, so here is a most amazing little tip on how to change a chain.

Who is this bloke? Surely it is some kind of joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7VDIKNWGlk&feature=player_embedded#!
    Very funny spoof on all of those Youtube bike maintenance videos. Pretty expensive for the props though.....

I agree with teelow, I'd like to think the frame and rear derailleur were toast to begin with which was the impetus to him using them as props for his gag. If not....should we pity the fool?

He could have just used a Mongoose Deception and only been out $199. ;-]

tl1
    Bicyclist

He looks like a...

Quote Originally Posted by teelow
    This was terrifying to watch! The only explanations I could come up with:

1) The guy has a bizarre sense of humor AND has more money than he knows what to do with.
    2) The rear triangle of the frame was broken anyhow in some way (along with the rear derailleur), and he decided to make this video as a joke
    3) He is the stupidest guy on earth.

I did think he was fairly clever in shaving down the piece of wood to repair the frame after. Now he has a removable gate for future chain replacements! That's good design engineering.
    ...real authentic idiot to me.

mtbr member
    I know I am a foreigner here and should probably wait for someone from over there to say this, but.........

..............I couldn't help noticing a little twang in his voice and when he pulled out that bit of wood and started wittling, well, my poor little brain just filled with thoughts of close relatives bumping uglies if you know what I mean. I could see him in a shed surrounded by alligator filled swamp.

I had to give my head a good shake to get rid of them. It was like a nightmare. Even worse than the video.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet
    I know I am a foreigner here and should probably wait for someone from over there to say this, but.........

..............I couldn't help noticing a little twang in his voice and when he pulled out that bit of wood and started wittling, well, my poor little brain just filled with thoughts of close relatives bumping uglies if you know what I mean. I could see him in a shed surrounded by alligator filled swamp.

I had to give my head a good shake to get rid of them. It was like a nightmare. Even worse than the video.
    Yep, a twangy voice indicates inbreeding just like an Aussie/Brit accent indicates homosexuality

Tip - if you feel like you need to type in a disclaimer before posting, then STFU instead.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Yep, a twangy voice indicates inbreeding just like an Aussie/Brit accent indicates homosexuality

Tip - if you feel like you need to type in a disclaimer before posting, then STFU instead.
    Don't take such offense, Bob. You're the exception to the rule.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    like this cooment

"I'll get my husband a new chain for Christmas and do the work for him! He's always down in his shop working on bikes. That trick with the saw will save him so much time! Wonder if that saw cuts titanium... "

gotta make sure this isnt my wife.

mtbr member
    Sure hope that was a broken rear triangle.

loud hubs save lives
    at least now he can go to a belt drive.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Shoulda been a Speshy, they have a lifetime warranty for stupidity.

mtbr member
    I am thoroughly confused. I wonder if he offers bicycle maintenance training.
    Last edited by Adim_X; 12-17-2010 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    I expected to see one of the old super flex rip9s when I saw the title, but not one of the new hydro formed ones Is this guy just stupidly rich and doesn't know better, or is he someone who broke his rear tri and wanted to make fun? Definitely alot easier than just using a chain breaker and Power Link
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    thanks for the lulz !

30-ton War Machine

Currently the #1 funniest post of 2010

BWG
    mtbr member
    That's funny as hell. Reminds me of the time when we were kids that my younger brother cut the wire bead on a new bike tire to get it on the rim. True story. I laughed my a$$ off. In his defense he was a decade younger than my other two brothers and I and no one ever showed him how to fix anything.

errr...
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat

+1 Wt F! hahahaha... that was great.

mtbr member

If I had the option I think I would still prefer to be gay (& a Brit, or an Auzzie for that matter)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'll vote to suspend my "dumbstruck-ness" and assume this a upper-middleclass fella that has a comfortably handsome wad of 'foldin money' in his jewel encrusted gold money clip and did this for a laugh as destroying his spendy playthings is little more than humorous fun for him.

many a working class mtb enthusiest could have been "paid forward" with that frame if all he wanted to do was deep-six it.

'merican waste and squander...this violates the conditions of the Kyoto Protocols doesnt it?? Oh, wait, we didnt sign on...okay..waste away.

mtbr member
    Like others had said, I hope the rear triangle was already broken. Otherwise, what a %$#@! waste.

Using a lizard skin as a patch was funny.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that was great

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The whittled block of wood was when I could no longer think he was serious. It's gotta have been a damaged frame.

Then again he was being pretty dangerous with the sawzall (one handed, no gloves or eyewear, wtf?) so who knows?

Either a fool or probably one of the best trolls ever.
    - Simon

BWG
    mtbr member
    I think the funniest line is when he was talking about the lizard skin chainstay covers and said: " if you ever see one of these on a bike they're probably ones that people have had to change their chain on."

So now I finally know what's under all those chainstay covers.

transmitter~receiver

nice, bob!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I knew there was more required than just the video to breathe life in to this thread. Imagine if he had an Australian/Brit wife and they had kids. Little two headed homosexuals with alligator tails and NFI about bicycle maintenance what so ever. Great wittlers, though.

Superflying on Haven
    I think he is the guy Niner hired (and fired) to do the engineering of the first generation Jet 9...

And that actually remind me last year when my lbs cut the broken/recalled Jet in piece to send the BB with serial numbers to Niner...
    Last edited by Menzo; 12-17-2010 at 04:47 PM.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    You guys are not looking close enough. At 4:00 minutes in he moves the bike out of the way and goes to the tool box, but if you look closely the RD and the chain are still attached as he goes to the tool box to hammer the RD. This is obviously a spoof and the RD he hammered was probably already junk and my guess is the same for the rear triangle. Or more likely, he had a problem with the rear triangle and in order to warranty it with Niner they told him to send a video of it being destroyed and he did this a a great piece to spoof all the how to video's on Youtube.

mtbr member
    I think that guy owns the LBS here in my town... they both seem to know about the same amount about mountain bikes

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    This is obviously a spoof ...
    Really?

The really keen eyes will also notice that the replacement chain is a 1/8" for a single speed.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    As he points out, I'll now look more closely at bikes with a lizard skin chainstay cover from now on.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Of course the rear was already broke. He said he had been riding it all summer. POS Niner!

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants
    Of course the rear was already broke. He said he had been riding it all summer. POS Niner!
    Now, now, my original version RIP9 is going strong since August 2007.
    (pretty good "rip" on Niners though.)

mtbr member
    Managed a straight face right up until you can probably get a new one for a couple of bucks...

Dear God I hope that rear triangle had a crack in it somewhere.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I want my 90 seconds back.
    I read that on the internet.

Out spokin'
    Why all the grieving for the RIP? Dude fixed it with that wooden piece and the stay wrap. Sheesh.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    I disagree, somebody posted the following in another 29er thread the following, my #1.

"Come at me bro!"

Accompanied by a picture of the wussiest looking guy ever.

I think there should be a "Funniest Post of 2010" thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    Either a fool or probably one of the best trolls ever.
    That's some of the most expensive bait I've ever seen on the hook.

the test dummy
    hahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhah ahahahahahhahahahahahaha what a idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy
    That's some of the most expensive bait I've ever seen on the hook.
    Well, the frame could have been broken as well as the X.0 derailleur. You don't actually see him smashing it, so it could have been one of those snapped carbon cages that happen sometimes and he just used it as a prop.

I'm leaning towards the above explanation, but it's funny either way.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am not sure which is funnier.

The hoax video or that people here seem to have fallen for it.

transmitter~receiver
    vid removed
    cue the conspiracy theories in 3-2-1 and:

mtbr member
    What a bunch of morons on this forum.

First off, 29ers suck. Brian's frame cracked. So did about 3-5 others at Hubbard. This proves my point that they suck. Case closed.

The derailleur was Lou's and the carbon cage shattered from a stick. Brian had fixed that for Lou after the video.

I love how people come on here bashing him and saying how 'rich' he is and how he must not be too smart. You're the idiots falling for it!

The accent is fake. Brian was contacted by niner-the-whiner and was told to take it down. He didn't expect it to do anything on here, but I told him I'd post it on here. Of course, people keep copying the video and posting it in about what, 50 different threads now? Niner-the-whiner said that the video had gone 'viral' when it hit 2,000 and they wanted it down. Brian wanted it to hit 10,000 after they contacted them. Did it? IDK. I was at Ray's all weekend and didn't bother checking on it that much.

Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn

First off, 29ers suck. Brian's frame cracked. So did about 3-5 others at Hubbard. This proves my point that they suck. Case closed.

The derailleur was Lou's and the carbon cage shattered from a stick. Brian had fixed that for Lou after the video.

I love how people come on here bashing him and saying how 'rich' he is and how he must not be too smart. You're the idiots falling for it!

The accent is fake. Brian was contacted by niner-the-whiner and was told to take it down. He didn't expect it to do anything on here, but I told him I'd post it on here. Of course, people keep copying the video and posting it in about what, 50 different threads now? Niner-the-whiner said that the video had gone 'viral' when it hit 2,000 and they wanted it down. Brian wanted it to hit 10,000 after they contacted them. Did it? IDK. I was at Ray's all weekend and didn't bother checking on it that much.

Fahn
    What's your point?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Why would Niner request to have this video taken down? Is it worse than hammering a fork to show just how strong it is? Both destroy a Niner product. Both are meaningless.

I hope that L.F. is just inciting the crowd, for if Niner really cares that is disappointing.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I think we are being trolled.

Superflying on Haven

mtbr member
    Alright..

3-5 other frames by Niner cracked at Hubbard- True

Niner contacted Brian twice and requested that he takes the vid down.- True

The derailleur was Lou's and it broke on a ride.- True

Niner also claimed the vid was 'viral' after 2000 views.- True again

What a bunch of morons in this forum- Half True.

I still can't believe that everyone starts calling him out and has no common sense. To think that someone would cut their bike like that and take it seriously?

Brian's accent is fake.- True!

Brian knows bikes- True!
    Hubbard Bike Club

tl1
    Bicyclist

No chip on your shoulder

...eh? Lighten up Francis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrllCZw8jiM

Out spokin'
    Alright..

The derailleur was Lou's and it broke on a ride.- True

What a bunch of morons in this forum- Half True.

I still can't believe that everyone starts calling him out and has no common sense. To think that someone would cut their bike like that and take it seriously?

Brian's accent is fake.- True!

Brian knows bikes- True!
    What's your point?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Fahn
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    Well, the frame could have been broken as well as the X.0 derailleur. You don't actually see him smashing it, so it could have been one of those snapped carbon cages that happen sometimes and he just used it as a prop.

I'm leaning towards the above explanation, but it's funny either way.
    uh...
    - Simon

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    So was it 3 frames or 5 frames cracked???? PIctures please.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    So was it 3 frames or 5 frames cracked???? PIctures please.
    I'm convinced he's a troll, too.

Maybe we ought to stop bumpin' this for him. Funny vid is gone... nothin' to see here anymore...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I'm convinced he's a troll, too.

Maybe we ought to stop bumpin' this for him. Funny vid is gone... nothin' to see here anymore...

--sParty
    uh... yeah.
    loudmouth in the 29er forum baggin' 29ers off the bat and acting like people should care about his buddies and their cycling club? dead ringer!
    score 1 for sParty!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    uh... yeah.
    loudmouth in the 29er forum baggin' 29ers off the bat and acting like people should care about his buddies and their cycling club? dead ringer!
    score 1 for sParty!
    Sometimes it doesn't take me long to figger stuff out.

Thanks for the pat on the rump.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Why would I have pics of their bikes?

Brian's is cracked in the "wheel well" where the chainstays are welded to the pivot. The solid piece of aluminum is cracked. Bryan S. seemed to be very familiar with this issue. They checked several frames on Thursnight and found Lou's frames was cracked in the same location. Lou and Brian are two. Bryan S. sounds like he's either had his replaced or has at least seen it before. Add "John and Mike G." to the list. Due to there being 4 Johns and how-many-ever Mikes at Hubbard, I'm not too sure who they are.

"What a bunch of morons in this forum- Half True."

"What's your point? --sParty"
    Point proven. The frames cracked and you keep asking what's the point. Keep using your circular reasoning to figure it out.

I'll see if Brian has pics. I'd recommend taking out your rear wheel every so often and looking in there for hairline cracks. It's not my bike- It's not my problem. So look after your own frame. It's just a heads up...
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member

Brian's is cracked in the "wheel well" where the chainstays are welded to the pivot. The solid piece of aluminum is cracked. Bryan S. seemed to be very familiar with this issue. They checked several frames on Thursnight and found Lou's frames was cracked in the same location. Lou and Brian are two. Bryan S. sounds like he's either had his replaced or has at least seen it before. Add "John and Mike G." to the list. Due to there being 4 Johns and how-many-ever Mikes at Hubbard, I'm not too sure who they are.

Point proven. The frames cracked and you keep asking what's the point. Keep using your circular reasoning to figure it out.

I'll see if Brian has pics. I'd recommend taking out your rear wheel every so often and looking in there for hairline cracks. It's not my bike- It's not my problem. So look after your own frame. It's just a heads up...

What's your point?

--sParty

Beat ya to it?
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Larry you are really coming off as a jag. You talk like we all know what the hell is going on at Hubbard, and then dis on us when we ask questions. Maybe if you would of explained the story instead of being a jag, we wouldn't question your motives and comments so much.

transmitter~receiver

nobody cares about you or your buddies.
    if you're bashing 29ers in the 29er forum. you're a troll, period.
    if you're too stupid to understand sarcasm it's a personal problem, but go on thinking it's "everyone else"

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X
    Larry you are really coming off as a jag. You talk like we all know what the hell is going on at Hubbard, and then dis on us when we ask questions. Maybe if you would of explained the story instead of being a jag, we wouldn't question your motives and comments so much.
    A total toolshed. I don't even know what he's upset about?

It's "not [his] bike, not [his] problem"...or something.

-CRAZY-
    So... where's the video if it aint no big deal?

Victim of Saddle Rage
    What business is it of Niner to object to his youtube video? Free speech? Freedom to pursue humor? IMHO this discredits Niner. If it were a Lynsky, at least the company would have played along with some silly helix joke, like untwist frame to remove chain.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

less clever than you
    May 2010
    Pulling the video is more likely to be for liability reasons. Jebus forbid is some moron saws through his chainstay and actually tries to ride it later with a wood splint.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrent33
    Pulling the video is more likely to be for liability reasons. Jebus forbid is some moron saws through his chainstay and actually tries to ride it later with a wood splint.

Good point. I couldn't image the niner boys being so uptight. Way too morons out there
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

-CRAZY-
    Have y'all not seen the stupidity that makes up 90% of the videos on u2b?

mtbr member
    I did explain the story... Multiple times. But I'll do it again for the morons... (Thank God for copy and paste!)

"Brian's frame cracked. So did about 3-5 others at Hubbard.
    The accent is fake. Brian was contacted by niner-the-whiner and was told to take it down. He didn't expect it to do anything on here, but I told him I'd post it on here. Of course, people keep copying the video and posting it in about what, 50 different threads now? Niner-the-whiner said that the video had gone 'viral' when it hit 2,000 and they wanted it down. Brian wanted it to hit 10,000 after they contacted them. Did it? IDK. I was at Ray's all weekend and didn't bother checking on it that much."

That's the story... Again

I guess if you just reply without reading then you'd come off sounding like another moron who I speak of.

I'm not upset over anything. If you think I am, then you should re-read the post. I'm just calling people out for thinking that the video was real! I guess that's what you find objectionable about my post? The vid was a JOKE and all the crybabies come out of the woodwork calling Brian an idiot and saying that it must be nice to be rich... Because they actually BELIEVED the video!

Second, it's a heads up to anyone riding a rip nine (appropriately named). Don't be afraid to check your own frame in the same location. They do break there. I mentioned 3 to 5 people who've had the issue. I don't have their photos. Again, It's not my bike- it's not my problem. Just a heads up though. IDK the details of the past two weeks as far as who's been taken care of and who hasn't with warranties.

Bff, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrent33
    But I could make the same video using a Huffy...will Niner call me to ask me take it down? The video wasn't even about the Niner, but about removing a chain.

Anyway, I thought the video was hilarious, and could easily tell that it was a joke.

I like my RIP. But he should leave the vid up; it was funny.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

less clever than you
    May 2010
    You're probably right about the Huffy thing, but never underestimate the litigating power of a moron.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    But I could make the same video using a Huffy...will Niner call me to ask me take it down? The video wasn't even about the Niner, but about removing a chain.

Anyway, I thought the video was hilarious, and could easily tell that it was a joke.

I like my RIP. But he should leave the vid up; it was funny.
    Aw dangit I missed out on the funny. Put the vid back up.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Yes Larry, we've read and seen your story enough, but could you explain why Brian took the video down just because "niner-the-whiner" had an objection? The "does it blend guy" places an IPOD in a blender and it isn't even funny. Does Apple have the right to demand that he takes the video off youtube? This is not Niner Hate or Niner bashing, but a real concern for free speech. As far as I am concerned, Brian posted the video for the sake of humor and not monetary gain, so what authority or right does Niner have to demand the video be removed? Ask Brian to repost the video and post pictures of these frame cracks. If there are issues with the RIP and Niner not respecting personal privacy and free speech, I think "we" the consumer deserve to know otherwise your posts are useless and reek of self promoting or promoting your Hubbard bike club.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Sounds about right to me

Alright..

I love this photo. It and these comments seem to explain the essence of Niner Bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Less RIP9 in the world.-niner-bush.jpg  

-CRAZY-
    that photo is the only redeeming thing about the brand.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat Guano
    that photo is the only redeeming thing about the brand.

You may be right. The Jet 9 was a near disaster and the reengineering resulted in a very heavy bike. The carbon 9 is sweet, but the BB is too low to be considered functional. I've seen a bunch of cracked Air 9 frames as well. Not that other companies haven't gone through growing pains or had troubles, but it seems as if Niner has quite a few unhappy customers at the moment. Maybe 2011 will be their break through year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail
    otherwise your posts are useless and reek of self promoting or promoting your Hubbard bike club.
    How am I promoting Hubbard? I didn't invite you to come up. It's a semi-private club and you don't even know where we're from unless you search my profile or posts outside of this one.

As far as "why". I'm sure they can come up with a million reasons. They told Brian that they wanted it down. I didn't get the phone call, Brian did. These post were within 3 days. He just posted on his FB account-

"I just had a call from Niner asking me to remove my you tube video. Apparantly it's gone viral. Thanks Larry Fahn. Get it while it's there!"

"My YouTube video has been viewed 7200 times. Come on... 10,000 by noon!!!!"

"just had another call from Niner... now they're getting pissed"
    Hubbard Bike Club

Members who have read this thread: 0