On One 29er sizing concerns- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

On One 29er sizing concerns

New to 29er's and have ordered an 18in On One 29'er but have some concerns about fit. Wondering if maybe I should wait for the 19.5in.

I'm 6'1 with about a 32-33in inseam.

My current ride has a 24.4in top tube 29in standover and I run a 110, 15 deg rise stem...like to be more upright. I believe the 18in 29er has a 23.6in top tube with a 31.5in standover.

Am I on track to get the same type of ride position or will I end up having to run a longer stem because of the shorter top tube?

Is the standover that much of a concern?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am about the same size as you, and I went with a 20" Kona unit 29. To be honest, it is on the big side, and would be happier on a 19.5. Check the Geometry on Kona's site, and compare it to the On One.

Jun 2005

It should be just right

I'm 6'1" with a 33-34 inseam and went with the 18" and wouldn't want anything bigger. I usually order frames like Kona in a 19".

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have an 18 inch Inbred with a 110 6 degree rise stem.
    I'm 5 foot 11.5 inches with a 32 inseam.

It fits great but I may go with a layback post just to get a bit further back. It sounds like you have a longer torso, so either the layback post or a touch longer stem would dial you in.

I thought standover may be a concern for me, but it's not. Your inseam being a bit longer should be better yet. I believe the standover height of the Inbred is measured in the middle of the top tube, so it's actually lower where you straddle the TT and are mostly likely to rack the jewels. .I wouldn't want a larger frame size though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetipilot
    I'm 6'1" with a 33-34 inseam and went with the 18" and wouldn't want anything bigger. I usually order frames like Kona in a 19".
    I'm about the same measurements and went with the 21" It's not built yet....but I can tell it'll fit me pretty well. I had a 19" Kona and couldn't stand how little it felt on me....
    Last edited by will951; 02-20-2006 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not to get you too nervous or anything, but I think you might have been better off waiting for the 19.5" Inbred. I'm almost exactly the same dimensions as you. I was riding a 19" Voodoo Dambala and had to run a 120mm stem. I also had toe overlap problems (you might be okay with the rigid On-One fork since it has 47mm of offset). The long stem put me too far over the front tire on technical descents and I had two really bad endos inspite of the supposed benefit of larger wheels. I recently switched to a Large S.I.R. Niner and it fits me perfectly. Stem length of 100mm, no toe overlap, better handling.

I like endos

if I remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Not to get you too nervous or anything, but I think you might have been better off waiting for the 19.5" Inbred. I'm almost exactly the same dimensions as you. I was riding a 19" Voodoo Dambala and had to run a 120mm stem. I also had toe overlap problems (you might be okay with the rigid On-One fork since it has 47mm of offset). The long stem put me too far over the front tire on technical descents and I had two really bad endos inspite of the supposed benefit of larger wheels. I recently switched to a Large S.I.R. Niner and it fits me perfectly. Stem length of 100mm, no toe overlap, better handling.
    the local 29er shop here said the dambala had a very short tt for it's st size though. I'm 6'1" and I'm ordering the 17in. Monocog with a 23.6 tt. I currently ride a 20" Kona with the same length tt. I also rather like 120mm stems. And I wear a size 11 shoe, so toe overlap is unlikely to be a problem based on the reports of demo bikes on here. Look at the monocog.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2005
    19" Voodoo Dambala has a 23.5" effective top tube. The On-One Inbred 29 has an effective top tube of 23.6". My shoe size is 46 (11 1/2). Just to make things totally clear, I was getting toe overlap with an Exiwolf front tire and White Brothers BW 0.8 fork. According to Voodoo specs, the head angle on the 19" is 1/2 degree steeper than an Inbred. All these factors (large shoes, big tire, 39mm fork offset, steep head angle, short top tube) contributed to my toe overlap problem. If you like long stems (I now know that I do not) and you use the Inbred fork, and your feet aren't huge, then the 18" frame will probably work fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moondoggy
    I believe the standover height of the Inbred is measured in the middle of the top tube, so it's actually lower where you straddle the TT and are mostly likely to rack the jewels. .I wouldn't want a larger frame size though.
    OK - todays project - re-measure standover. Where should I be measuring it from?

And I'll post some "front centre" dimensions too for toe-rub-worriers.

Recovering couch patato
    VooDoo's IMO are totally pushing it with toe clearance. Short top tubes and steep head tube angles. A 29"er doesn't require such angles, it does require longer top tubes to go along wth them.
    Medium and small VooDoo's are fine. The designer Joe Murray rides a medium I think.
    I'm a VooDoo fan, but can't ride one I'm afraid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Brandt, I would keep standover measured in the middle of the top tube as you currently have it. It's easy to visualize.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by joltz
    New to 29er's and have ordered an 18in On One 29'er but have some concerns about fit. Wondering if maybe I should wait for the 19.5in.

I'm 6'1 with about a 32-33in inseam.

My current ride has a 24.4in top tube 29in standover and I run a 110, 15 deg rise stem...like to be more upright. I believe the 18in 29er has a 23.6in top tube with a 31.5in standover.

Am I on track to get the same type of ride position or will I end up having to run a longer stem because of the shorter top tube?

Is the standover that much of a concern?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
    You are fine......not worth worrying about. If you said a 16" then perhaps and issue but otherwise, there are way more worthy things to worry about.

I am a tad over 6'1" and have a 34.5" inseam and the 18" works great. Sure I could have waited till the 19.5 came out and on paper it may be more appropriate for me but I dont give a crap about paper, i like to ride and it fits awesome. Funny thing is, my Inbred "fits perfect" and my One 9 "fits perfect" and the eff top tube is almost 1" difference. Guess I must be imagining things cause on paper that cant be so....funny thing happened to me on the trail; I realized that slight adjustment have to be made on ANY bike.

One my Inbred I run a 120mm zero deg rise stem and I love it, period.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 02-21-2006 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

One 9 size

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    You are fine......not worth worrying about. If you said a 16" then perhaps and issue but otherwise, there are way more worthy things to worry about.

I am a tad over 6'1" and have a 34.5" inseam and the 18" works great. Sure I could have waited till the 19.5 came out and on paper it may be more appropriate for me but I dont give a crap about paper, i like to ride and it fits awesome. Funny thing is, my Inbred "fits perfect" and my One 9 "fits perfect" and the eff top tube is almost 1" difference. Guess I must be imagining things cause on paper that cant be so....funny thing happened to me on the trail; I realized that slight adjustment have to be made on ANY bike.

One my Inbred I run a 120mm zero deg rise stem and I love it, period.

I'm a little bigger, 6'2 1/2" , What size One 9 do you have?

Peace & Love
    Large, with a 110mm zero deg rise stem with EA70 riser bars and could not be happier.

Members who have read this thread: 0