old dog - and the new trick? (ss content)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

old dog - and the new trick? (ss content)

OK I am an old-as-dirt roadie who, due to an unfortunate series of events, was able to get a 29er ss for winter riding. My goal was to stay in decent biking shape do that it wouldn't take so incredibly long to get into good shape in the spring.
    That goal is being achieved

Now I'm having a "What about Bob?" moment (if you saw the movie) and I'm wondering, what other stuff can I learn from the mountain bike that will transfer to the road bike in the spring?

I have some answers to this - but I'd like to tap into the wisdom of the community here.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I've found the road experience to be enhanced by bunnyhopping over anything and everything in my path!

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    not sure, but I find myself constantly leaning my road bike over and loading the tyres on corners now....can't help to think that isn't the right thing to do +1 on hops. I think for me it has helped me stay in the saddle more on the road bike on climbs (if that is a good thing). Unfortunatley, I find that my terrain for mtb here kind of trains my road riding the wong way. I mostly end up using slower cadence and also get best at grinding hills instead of the speed/power thing roadies do. I agree though, that as an off season exercise or occasional thing it will be useful. My feeling is that if you can match your terrain or style to the road riding you will do you'll get most benefit. You may occasionally ask yourself where the obstacles have gone to when you get back to the road...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    cadence - I think I have noticed (though I don't know since the roads are not clear for riding) that I'm more comfortable at a broader range of rpms. Normally I'd ride on the road in a certain narrow sweet spot of 85-100 rpm ? something like that. Riding an SS i've learned to be more versatile...

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpants
    cadence - I think I have noticed (though I don't know since the roads are not clear for riding) that I'm more comfortable at a broader range of rpms. Normally I'd ride on the road in a certain narrow sweet spot of 85-100 rpm ? something like that. Riding an SS i've learned to be more versatile...
    Yes that makes sense....I haven't done SS, but I see what you mean. Being able to choose gears makes it a little different. A friend who is an ex-elite level rider also tells me too much mtb lowers his leg speed for road cycling too, but he doesn't SS either. Riding SS may be better as an off season road training tool - maintaining momentum and standing power would suit nicely to the road.

hispanic mechanic
    Best thing about off road single speeding in the winter? It'll really help train those smile muscles.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Rohloff
    Like me, you may learn that road biking is boring and SSing the dirt should be done year round!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    the factor - its so nice to not worry about cars, other crazy riders, etc and I get to practice falling

Apr 2007
    Maybe you'll now try SS/Fixed road? Love my Fixed Surly for road and Jabber for the trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0