Ohio trails and XC vs trail geometry hardtails.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Ohio trails and XC vs trail geometry hardtails.

Any Ohio riders on the fence lately about getting the newer trail geometry designed hardtail? My niner emd has been rock steady for the past 4 years and has never really given me a reason to change other than wanting to get something in carbon fiber with a bit more slack in the headtube like an Ibis DV9. Am I splitting hairs for a few less degrees in headtube angle or should I just keep riding until this frame gets really outdated?

mtbr member
    The EMD has been "outdated" for a few years now. I've still got one in the garage. The head angle on the EMD is considered unrideable by today's standards. The bikes honestly does not ride bad. It's more stable than the HTA suggests.

Going with a bike with a slacker head tube can make descending a sketchy section less sketchy. It does inspire more confidence. If you're looking for a frame that doesn't need some super steep trail to make actual use of the geo...I think you'll be happy with the DV9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Im just looking for a frame that more versatile than standard XC geometry. Like I said my emd has served me well...most rides are on twitchy single track nothing with serious drops but the off chance I get out of state say PA, WV or KY Id like the bike to be able to handle that down sloped terrain better than my EMD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    DV9 has shorter reach numbers than a Chameleon.

Having a nice day!
    I've really enjoyed my Pivot Les. With a 120mm fork, the HTA is a semi-slack 68.3 on my size small frame with an added bonus of a little higher BB. Not a really steep STA or long reach, but I find it to be perfect for the trails I typically ride around the Atlanta area. Don't know if that is different enough from the Niner to justify the purchase as I'm not familiar with the geo on those. That said, if I were buying another carbon hardtail today and SS wasn't a consideration, I'd look hard at the Transition hardtail frames (Vanquish and Throttle). A little slacker than the Pivot and deals are out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
    Im just looking for a frame that more versatile than standard XC geometry. Like I said my emd has served me well...most rides are on twitchy single track nothing with serious drops but the off chance I get out of state say PA, WV or KY Id like the bike to be able to handle that down sloped terrain better than my EMD.
    Have you seen this thread on the DV9?

https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/2019-ib...l-1089677.html

You can look into the "Trail" hardtails. They will generally be longer and slacker than the EMD you're riding.

You might be better off going to your local bike shop than asking the people there. Tell them exactly what you're looking for and they should be able to point you in the right direction. At least you'll be able to throw a leg over the bikes you're looking at.

Asking here...you're going to get all kinds of cross conflicting information based on their personal preferences.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I know, however there are no shops locally that carry the DV9. sooo.....just trek and specialized shops around here. no thanks. Actually found a promising frame Kinesis X mountain thats a bit longer with more slack (69.3) than my emd which has 72. Longer wheelbase by 30 mm pretty much same stack, tt length 5 mm longer CS length as well. Not only that but its 7000 series aluminum and 1570 gms for the med frame to boot! Thanks for the link Ill check it out.

mtbr member
    Lol...well...Specialized and Trek both have some pretty nice trail hardtails in the Fuse and Stache. The geo on the new Fuse looks really legit. Its modern enough without jumping the shark on length.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fu...=263307-171068

Stache

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...orCode=reddark

Professional Crastinator
    Ohio rider here (and occasional PA, NY, GA, TN...).

I had an MCR9 for 4 years, and while it was a great-riding frame, I was asking it to do stuff it wasn't meant to do. I replaced it with a Canfield Nimble 9 and it made that sketchy feeling go away (think AM hardtail).

I rented a Fuze 6 Fatty for an afternoon and thought it rode fine, and I also test rode a Jamis DragonSlayer a few years ago, but the newer bikes seem almost too stable for me. The N9, for me, is right where I want to be.

The EMD probably feels a bit steep for the steeps, but I imagine rides great everywhere else. I wouldn't replace it with just anything.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Where in Ohio are you riding? Around here in Central Ohio, my old school Karate Monkey feels great on the flat and twisty stuff (Alum Creek), but get a little overwhelmed coming down More Cowbell at Chestnut Ridge. There my Jones LWB really takes the cake.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Where in Ohio are you riding? Around here in Central Ohio, my old school Karate Monkey feels great on the flat and twisty stuff (Alum Creek), but get a little overwhelmed coming down More Cowbell at Chestnut Ridge. There my Jones LWB really takes the cake.
    Im in Worthington, rode a-lot back in the 2005-2015 years mostly here in OH though places like alum creek, lake hope, dillon st park, etc. how bout you?.. My daughter was born in 2015 so my free time and priorities changed and they really changed in 2017 when my son was born so I had to step away from the mtb scene. Now that he is older I can start getting away more since he's becoming more self sufficient.

Ive been hunting for a new frame over the past month couldn't stand it any longer so I snagged an Ibis DV9 Tuesday night off backcountry.. Ill be switching from my niner emd soon and trying the new frame out ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Ohio rider here (and occasional PA, NY, GA, TN...).

I had an MCR9 for 4 years, and while it was a great-riding frame, I was asking it to do stuff it wasn't meant to do. I replaced it with a Canfield Nimble 9 and it made that sketchy feeling go away (think AM hardtail).

I rented a Fuze 6 Fatty for an afternoon and thought it rode fine, and I also test rode a Jamis DragonSlayer a few years ago, but the newer bikes seem almost too stable for me. The N9, for me, is right where I want to be.

The EMD probably feels a bit steep for the steeps, but I imagine rides great everywhere else. I wouldn't replace it with just anything.

-F
    Its actually been really good to me since I bought it in 2014, its always been great and climbing and gobbling up trail obstacles, its just not the most versatile frame in terms of jumping or trying to ride outside of the more race based riding position. My riding tastes have changed over the past 6 yrs and im wanting to try something with a bit more relaxed geometry. Plus ive always ridden a fixed seatpost and Im wanting a dropper now bc I know its the one thing thats limited my riding fun more than anything.