Oh ten F29 offset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Oh ten F29 offset?

I just received one of these, upgrading from the first year F29 (07?), and this one seems to steer quicker and just feels... faster somehow. Offset for my other one was 44mm but I can't seem to find that spec for the new one anywhere. I haven't contacted Fox, I'd imagine they'd cough it up, but you guys are all so much smarter so I figured I'd start here. Help?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy
    I just received one of these, upgrading from the first year F29 (07?), and this one seems to steer quicker and just feels... faster somehow. Offset for my other one was 44mm but I can't seem to find that spec for the new one anywhere. I haven't contacted Fox, I'd imagine they'd cough it up, but you guys are all so much smarter so I figured I'd start here. Help?
    Well, there are two possibilities.

#1: A take off fork from a Gary Fisher: These are floating around e-bay, Craigslists, and from individuals all over. If your fork is one of these it has 51mm offset

#2: If it is a standard Fox that was sold aftermarket, or a take off from something other than a Fisher, it most likely is the 46mm offset.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the reply GT.

The fork came straight from Fox, so not a take-off. Brand new, uncut steerer, original packaging, etc.

Do you know if they went from 44 to 46mm offset for '09 or '10? I'm sure the older one was 44mm. If I had known it was a 46 I wouldn't have ordered it... and, why is it so hard to find this info out?? Is this not absolute basic info about a fork these days?

Oh, and it seems to sit lower overall too. Could they have reduced A to C measurement?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    It changed to 46mm for '09.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    It changed to 46mm for '09.
    Just got off the phone with Fox.

It's still 44mm.

I couldn't see them changing it without telling their best customer... ; )

Rockshox uses 46mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Just got off the phone with Fox.

It's still 44mm.

I couldn't see them changing it without telling their best customer... ; )

Rockshox uses 46mm.
    Sweet, thanks. I knew the Reba went to 44 but didn't remember hearing that about the Fox.

I made a couple of changes and now it feels 'right' to me again. I had overtightened my headset such that it was sort of indexing, forcing me to sort of fall into a corner then oversteer to get past the indent. Also, switched out the Mountain King 2.4 I had on there and went back to my trusty Jones XR up front and the washing out from the back of the front wheel (understeer?) totally went away. 'Twas too hardpack for the Conti. It's all good. Sweet fork.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    My mistake. Thanks for setting me straight, Steve!

Members who have read this thread: 0