Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Interesting points. I'm looking at a closeout HT 2013 frameset for only $650 but those 18.1" CS scare me, especially coming from a Honzo with only 16.3" chainstays. Guess I'm back to searching more. I was just hung up on its price.
    Unfortunately outside of the Devinci Atlas, you're just not going to find a short chainstay full suspension 29er for cheap. There are a few options, the Enduro 29, Kona Process 111, Drossiger Xea, Lenz Milkmoney, and I think a few others, but most if not all are new bikes with big prices tags.

I decided to ride the 650b wave until shorter chainstays on longer travel 29ers become more common and less expensive.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

The Fastest of Bananas
    The Enduro 29 is a great option, but youll pay through the nose. And its complete only, as it seems a lot of manufactures are doing that lately.

mtbr member
    If you want high speed stability through the rough, the moderately long 17.5" chainstays on the Thumper are good. Example - Yeti SB6c 27.5" chainstays are 17.4". Personally, I would trade 10mm of travel on my Thumper for 10mm shorter chainstays to have a tighter turning radius when climbing switchbacks. Kona Process 111 is the answer, but not at twice the price of the Thumper frame. I'll be a stronger technical climber after practicing lifting the front end/ hopping the rear to negotiate those tight switchies.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am digging the "new" Geo on bikes like the Process series and the new Banshee frames....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing and Yep, you are the 1st Unveil9 in The UK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have beaten him by 1 day, picked mine up from Stuart on Thursday the 30th.

No pictures yet, will sort some this weekend.

mtbr member

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread

HA! Awesome, great work! Now get to posting some pics Dangit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Also, an opinions?

Hope E4 vs Saint?

DT Swiss 180s (deal of a lifetime, like 80% off) vs Hope Pro 2 vs something else?

Carbon rims vs X01?

Fox Float X vs Cane Creek DB?

I can pick two of these upgrade I think. Is it worth upgrading the bike or should I go with a new 2015 Spec Enduro Elite?

Current setup is full XT with alu rims, Fox 34 and CTD.
    Buy the DT's for 80% off and sell them to me for 50% off. It is a WIN WIN! :-)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Buy the DT's for 80% off and sell them to me for 50% off. It is a WIN WIN! :-)
    HA!! Sounds like a great plan to me....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    HA! Awesome, great work! Now get to posting some pics Dangit

Finally got round to finishing the build last night so only a poor phone pic so far.

Spec is

Frame - Unveil 9 XL with Rocksox Monarch rear shock
    Fork - Rockshox Pike RCT 150mm
    Brakes - SRAM X0 levers and calipers - 203/180 Shimano Ice Rotors
    Crankset - XT 2x 24/38 with Blackspire bashguard
    Fr Mech - SRAM X7
    Rr Mech - SRAM X9 Type2
    Shifters - SRAM X9 2x10
    Wheels - Crank Brothers Iodine 2
    Seatpost - Rockshox Reverb
    Stem - Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 90mm
    Bars - Crank Brothers Iodine 3 700mm riser
    Pedals - DMR Vaults
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-15809201496_ebe7e30886_b.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    Very nice... you will have to give us a full ride report.
    Oh and I finally got around to an official weight for my bike, came in at 30.65lbs on my buddies bike scale. Still do not believe it pedals like a 30+# bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Oh and I finally got around to an official weight for my bike, came in at 30.65lbs on my buddies bike scale. Still do not believe it pedals like a 30+# bike!
    Mine too. It rides lighter than it actually is. Mine weighs in at 30 lbs. 9 oz. and it's falls squarely in the trail bike category with 150mm fork, Reverb, and Flows with beefy rubber. I might go to a wide carbon rim in the future to loose some rotational weight.

mtbr member

I just got some 35mm LB rims, gonna build them up on Hopes...hope to have them on the bike next month and some ride reports to follow

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andermt View Post
    Spec is

Frame - Unveil 9 XL with Rocksox Monarch rear shock
    Fork - Rockshox Pike RCT 150mm
    Really curious how Monarch plus works, that's probably my next upgrade.

I don't want to be too spammy, but I'm looking to trade my size large Unveil 7 proto with Monarch Plus Debonair and Pike 275 DP for an size large Unveil 9 with Pike. This would be great for someone who wants something with a bit shorter wheelbase and smaller wheels.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Mine too. It rides lighter than it actually is. Mine weighs in at 30 lbs. 9 oz. and it's falls squarely in the trail bike category with 150mm fork, Reverb, and Flows with beefy rubber. I might go to a wide carbon rim in the future to loose some rotational weight.
    It sure doesn't feel as heavy as it is.

With a 150 fork, I would recommend dropping it to 140 or using a 650 rear wheel. With the 150, the BB ends up super high, which is nice for tech, but not so stable. Your results may vary, I just like low bikes, slack bikes.

I just got some 35mm LB rims, gonna build them up on Hopes...hope to have them on the bike next month and some ride reports to follow

How do you feel about the difference in rim width for carbon rims? For example, a wide rim being 380 for a 35mm, and the 40mm is 420. (26" nextie) Is the weight worth it? Or would I be overkilling?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just got my 35/30mm carbon rims to build this weekend as well. They weigh 431 grams each. Not to bad in the weight department.

Also, I'm running a 150 fork on my thumper-I love it! It really lets the bike monster truck over stuff.

mtbr member
    With a 150 fork, I would recommend dropping it to 140 or using a 650 rear wheel. With the 150, the BB ends up super high, which is nice for tech, but not so stable. Your results may vary, I just like low bikes, slack bikes.
    I am torn on the 150. I was originally looking for a 140, but I found a good deal on a 150 Fox 34. I have thought about dropping it down to 140. I may do it when I get the fork serviced. The 150 and the slightly higher bb has a lot of benefits where I ride. There are lots of rocks, so I can avoid pedal strikes a little easier. I can also get the front end up and over rocks and logs while climbing. It rips going down hill too with its current set up.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what happened to the Switchback website? It is drastically trimmed down and you can't access any of the old or new frames to make a purchase.

??????

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the Switchback website? It is drastically trimmed down and you can't access any of the old or new frames to make a purchase.

??????
    I just made the updates to the site last night....Evolution....good things happening....

http://www.switchbackbikes.com/company/

The Fastest of Bananas
    Unveil 7s! Woo!

Unfortunately I just bought an Enduro carbon expert because I thought these weren't coming.

Not a good excuse. I've had one for 6-months. You just wanted carbon, admit it.

mtbr member

Hhhhhaaaa! I'm with PHeller

mtbr member

@FastBana you could get the Unveil7 as your "beater bike"

The Fastest of Bananas
    The carbon Enduro is impressive. 27 pounds. Its also extremely pricey. And sexy.

There is a strong probability the gf will end up on an Unveil 7, she has been looking for a new rig. But she is tiny, 5'2". Would a small work?

And i still and drooling over the 7.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Maybe I did want carbon. Maybe I want more, I need carbon wheels. I NEED them!

By comparison, my Unveil7 with the rather heavy Monarch+Debonair, the burly 160mm dual position Pike, the rather heavy Reverb, an old Shimano Hone crankset (heavy as well) and not a single ounce of carbon weighs 31lbs with tubes.

I don't doubt that a more weigh conscious parts list could probably get the Unveil7 down to about 28lbs.

I think an Avy Float CTD or Marz 053 S3C2R shock (both very lightweight), a Pike, tubeless, RF Next SL crankset, carbon bars and carbon wheels would drop weight pretty quick on these alloy bikes.

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    By comparison, my Unveil7 with the rather heavy Monarch+Debonair, the burly 160mm dual position Pike, the rather heavy Reverb, an old Shimano Hone crankset (heavy as well) and not a single ounce of carbon weighs 31lbs with tubes.

I don't doubt that a more weigh conscious parts list could probably get the Unveil7 down to about 28lbs.

I think an Avy Float CTD or Marz 053 S3C2R shock (both very lightweight), a Pike, tubeless, RF Next SL crankset, carbon bars and carbon wheels would drop weight pretty quick on these alloy bikes.
    I think 28 with all that is about as low as you can go with a dropper. Overall pretty sweet.

I think the 7 is going to be a sick bike, the 9 rode well, be the small wheels are a better fit for my style, I like the lower front end, shorter wheel base, and lighter weight.

The target on the Enduro is 26 pounds. Im just under 27 right now.

What wheelsize and model year is your Enduro?

mtbr member
    The carbon Enduro is impressive. 27 pounds. Its also extremely pricey. And sexy.

There is a strong probability the gf will end up on an Unveil 7, she has been looking for a new rig. But she is tiny, 5'2". Would a small work?

And i still and drooling over the 7.
    hhhhmmm....will have to check the #s once the final version comes to fruition

mtbr member
    I think 28 with all that is about as low as you can go with a dropper. Overall pretty sweet.

I think the 7 is going to be a sick bike, the 9 rode well, be the small wheels are a better fit for my style, I like the lower front end, shorter wheel base, and lighter weight.

The target on the Enduro is 26 pounds. Im just under 27 right now.
    My Thumper is under 28lbs with a dropper and pedals........really starting to like that bike!

The Fastest of Bananas
    My Thumper is under 28lbs with a dropper and pedals........really starting to like that bike!
    Woah, build spec?

What wheelsize and model year is your Enduro?
    2014 26" size medium.

Ah ok, those smaller wheels make it considerably lighter, haha

mtbr member
    Unveil 7s! Woo!

Unfortunately I just bought an Enduro carbon expert because I thought these weren't coming.

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread

Ah ok, those smaller wheels make it considerably lighter, haha
    That they do, and it feels awesome.

Just need some carbon rims in my life now. I need to just order them, but my wallet has been protesting me.

28h or 32h?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    OK I have my first real disappointment with the bike. So I changed the bearings for the main pivot for enduro max ones, as I mentioned here drive side bearing was really hard to remove and install. Couple of month later it started making noises and turns out the bearing was seized. I thought I messed up the installation last time or just had a bad bearing, so a mechanic friend with expensive bearing press installed a new enduro bearing on the driver side. Unfortunately main pivot started making noises again and I have seized bearing on the drive side again. This time I took a shield from a bearing and it turns out the bearing is ovalized. Ill take out the bearing again and measure the hole with a caliper, but something tells me its gonna be oval too.

So my question is if its a warranty issue and it should be and how should I handle it at this point?

mtbr member

After you get the calipers on it
    fire me an e-mail.

scott@switchbackbikes.com

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Will do. Thank you.

Short-Change-Hero
    Cant remember if I posted in here but I finally got around to weighing mine. Got my buddy a scale for his bday and we weighed our bikes. His completely stock 2013 Scott Genius 700 came in at 28.4lbs with heavy PaceStar Schwalbe Hans Dampf while my Thumper with my heavy KS eTen and no carbon ANYTHING came in at 30.6lbs!!!!

So you could conceivably get down into the sub-28 range with full carbon bits and a more XC oriented fork (say a Reba or Rev that maxed out at 120-130).

Havent been able to ride her in the last month or so because of schedule, cold weather and what not. So missing her and just hate seeing her hanging in the garage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thumper frame is not heavy. My XL build is around 32lb with command post, saint pedals, extra sealant it tires and only carbon is steering tube spacers.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=FastBanana;11618283]Woah, build spec?

LB Carbon wheels / DT Swiss hubs
    Enve carbon bars
    1x11 drivetrain
    Hope Brakes
    RS Pike 140mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Our Demo Build

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-unveil9demo.jpgThe Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-unveil9demoprep.jpg

Sorry we took so long to get this out. But we had our first demo ride in New Jersey and the group riders that we were with us really enjoyed it the Unveil 9/Thumper.
    This project is not finish, I think we are going to add a wolf tooth 42t and maybe some Easton Carbon Wheels... We will keep you posted on this project. More to come (shhh Prototype Reveal 9 Project coming Up... )

By the Way -FastBanana this is a direct result from your build. We thank you.
    Last edited by thebikebondsman; 12-14-2014 at 02:39 PM.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Love the color!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebikebondsman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unveil9Demo.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	946583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unveil9DemoPrep.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	946584

Sorry we took so long to get this out. But we had our first demo ride in New Jersey and the group riders that we were with us really enjoyed it the Unveil 9/Thumper.
    This project is not finish, I think we are going to add a wolf tooth 42t and maybe some Easton Carbon Wheels... We will keep you posted on this project. More to come (shhh Prototype Reveal 9 Project coming Up... )

By the Way -FastBanana this is a direct result from your build. We thank you.
    Looks awesome! How do you like the X-Fusion fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The X-Fusion is not bad... When you lock out the front .. You really lock it out. Great value in keeping the cost down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hi Guys

This is my first post on here, so I thought I would add a pic of my Thumper, Weighed it today and it comes in at 30.3lbs

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-1502278_10152881151125498_3905569253844369849_o.jpg

Spec is as follow:
    Thumper XL Frame, Fox Factory CTD Shock
    Rockshox Revelation RC 140mm
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite Wheelset
    Specialized Butcher front and Purgaory rear
    SLX Cranks and 32t Works Components Chainring
    SRAM 36-11 cassette and 42t one up extender
    SLX mech with One Up Cage, SLX Ispec shifter
    SLX Brakes with avid rotors
    Easton 50mm stem
    Raceface sixC bars at 760mm
    Rockshox Reverb
    Charge Saddle
    DMR Vault Pedals

This is my first full suspension bike (I have had it since summer) I love it, seriously impressed by it, according to GPS I have posted faster climbing times than my old carbon hardtail and MUCH faster decending!

Depending how it goes in the spring, I do fancy stripping it and re-spraying, as much as I like the grey, I fancy something a little different

mtbr member

Looks great, thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Hh

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-image.jpg
    Go the custom paint jobs on this thread
    Built this up yesterday
    XT drive train and stoppers
    One up 42
    Ks lev
    Pike 140
    Mavic hub & rims
    First ride today was great
    Gave great confidence in the gravity sections
    30.06 lbs, not that it matters

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay1 View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	949351
    Go the custom paint jobs on this thread
    Built this up yesterday
    XT drive train and stoppers
    One up 42
    Ks lev
    Pike 140
    Mavic hub & rims
    First ride today was great
    Gave great confidence in the gravity sections
    30.06 lbs, not that it matters
    Looks great! A New Zealand 130X! Love it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Can you fit a water bottle in the front triangle of the unveil9 with the monarch plus shock? ANY water bottle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hmmmm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    Can you fit a water bottle in the front triangle of the unveil9 with the monarch plus shock? ANY water bottle?
    Funny.......I am going to try that tonight or tomorrow.

Frame size Large

May need to use one of those side opening ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-sw-2.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    FINALLY got back out on her on Monday with my buddy. New trail for him and only the second time riding it for me, one of those damn trails where you have never done so much climbing going downhill. Climbs were comfortable and great as always and then descents were a blast, finally getting to the point where I know just to let the bike do its thing and blast away at the trail.

Got to keep at it and get the legs and endurance back, trip planned for Sedona in April with my dad so the bike is going with me.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Since its snowing here, I doing surgery and finishing putting the bike together.

Got the fork apart, and ordered parts to drop it to a 130mm. I put the 29er wheels back on it, so I can test out how it rides as a 130mm 29er. I'm thinking by dropping the front end back down, it will corner a bit better, as I have been finding that I like my bars low.

Im also swapping the M775 calipers for M785 calipers. I am running M785 levers, and I'm thinking I'll get a little more of the power that the XTs are known for that way. The 785/775 combo was good, but comparing it to a proper 4 piston caliper, or a straight M785 brake, it feels a tad weak. Old calipers are being retired to commuter duty after a rebuild. Also, I'm swapping the grips to the Specialized Sip grips with command post lever built in. I had an under bar lever for a while, but I'm going back to 2x10, as I want this bike for 29er trail duty.

I have the new 26er Enduro as well, so I dont need this one for the big mountain stuff anymore, so I want this for my all day epics.

I'll have pics to follow after its all back together.

mtbr member
    Since its snowing here, I doing surgery and finishing putting the bike together.

Got the fork apart, and ordered parts to drop it to a 130mm. I put the 29er wheels back on it, so I can test out how it rides as a 130mm 29er. I'm thinking by dropping the front end back down, it will corner a bit better, as I have been finding that I like my bars low.

Im also swapping the M775 calipers for M785 calipers. I am running M785 levers, and I'm thinking I'll get a little more of the power that the XTs are known for that way. The 785/775 combo was good, but comparing it to a proper 4 piston caliper, or a straight M785 brake, it feels a tad weak. Old calipers are being retired to commuter duty after a rebuild. Also, I'm swapping the grips to the Specialized Sip grips with command post lever built in. I had an under bar lever for a while, but I'm going back to 2x10, as I want this bike for 29er trail duty.

I have the new 26er Enduro as well, so I dont need this one for the big mountain stuff anymore, so I want this for my all day epics.

I'll have pics to follow after its all back together.
    "but I'm going back to 2x10, as I want this bike for 29er trail duty"

Just say no to a front drl

mtbr member

Yes with a side pull out cage.

Wow, did that sound really naughty?

mtbr member

I'll have to get on the PC to see if I can find my Thumper/Unveil9 with the side cage & piggyback shock together....but here's a pic I found on my mobile that shows the water bottle bolt mounts in relation to a piggyback shock

Hope it helps

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    FINALLY got back out on her on Monday with my buddy. New trail for him and only the second time riding it for me, one of those damn trails where you have never done so much climbing going downhill. Climbs were comfortable and great as always and then descents were a blast, finally getting to the point where I know just to let the bike do its thing and blast away at the trail.

Got to keep at it and get the legs and endurance back, trip planned for Sedona in April with my dad so the bike is going with me.
    Thanks for the update....can't wait to hear the Sedona ride report

mtbr member

"but I'm going back to 2x10, as I want this bike for 29er trail duty"

Just say no to a front drl
    HA!

Sorry @fastbanana but I'm with DeeZee

The 130mm 29er and 26er Enduro bike quiver sounds like it could be a good quiver....

The Fastest of Bananas
    I need the granny ring on 29ers, climbing above 10,000 feet is really challenging.

mtbr member

I bet! Okay, you win...2x it is

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'll have to get on the PC to see if I can find my Thumper/Unveil9 with the side cage & piggyback shock together....but here's a pic I found on my mobile that shows the water bottle bolt mounts in relation to a piggyback shock

Hope it helps
    Kind of, but still haven't seen a picture of it... So I guess it never happened

I guess the front triangle cavity is equally big on a medium and a large?

mtbr member

Path Less Traveled

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-myunveil-end6.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New build happening soon. Hammerhead 130x in white. Hope Enduro wheels, X-Fusion Slide fork, HiLo dropper, 1 x 10 with Zee clutch mech, full XT everywhere else. What do you think it will weigh?

mtbr member
    Nice! I think this will be the first White 130x posted! My guess is 30lbs 8oz....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Really pleased with the final build, feels much lighter than I thought it would. Waiting to take it out for the first spin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry, I always take pictures with my phone the wrong way around!

Short-Change-Hero
    He must be from Australia or something.... bike is upside down... LOL

Short-Change-Hero
    And I am looking at going 1x10 here in the near future... what is the spacer orientation for shimano 2x cranks? I thought at one point I read it was 2rings on the drive side and nothing on the non-drive...

[strikethrough]Hoping to find a deal on a gold HOPE NW 32t ring.[/strikethrough] Well that was quick, found a deal through JensonUSA on the Gold Hope Retainer ring for $55 shipped so pulled the trigger. Have this odd feeling my legs are going to start hurting...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I run a 32T up front with the 11-36 out back. Even here in CO, it's not bad. I might try a 30 next time around though.

Short-Change-Hero
    Mtndude23..... FastBanana does live in CO....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I never said he didn't.

mtbr member
    For my 1 x 10 on the Thumper I run 30t ring with an 11 x 40 cassette. It's an 11 x 36 XT cassette with the 40t Wolftooth giant cog. I don't run any spacers on the drive side to give myself a better overall chainline. I put the necessary spacer on the non-drive side.

mtbr member
    Riding my Thumper just like Captain America except no 40t on the 'sette. 30t no spacers. The 40 may get me up those last few revolutions on some climbs I fail regularly, but I feel like if I had the 40, I would use it too often when not needed, cuz it's there. Also, Failure keeps me interested in riding.

On my Inbred, 1 spacer on the drive side results in a good chain line. Maybe a 68 vs 73 thing.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so sounds like for the Thumper it is 1 spacer on Non-Drive side for the 1x10?
    Carpio, do you run a spacer on the non-drive side of your Inbred? Planning to do the same thing with her to keep myself "true"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-image.jpgThe Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-image.jpg
    Right way up this time! Re: 1 x 10 chain line, I run no spacers and in 1st gear the chain is just about engaging in the chainring without issues. Could do with a 68mm shell in my opinion.

mtbr member
    68 may be better, as it's always a bit runny in the largest cassette cog even without any drive side spacers.

Andrew Leighton - how are the vigilantes treating you?

Greg - I'm working in Rio for the next week or so and will check on the Inbred spacers when I get home. Can't remember off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Vigilantes are awesome. The most grip I've ever had and a doddle tubeless. Re: Inbred spacers, I run 1 x 10 with none and it's fine.

mtbr member
    Andrew- you have the Inbred/Thumper Combo as well?

Re Tires: Nice to hear that the vigilantes are solid. The Bronson's I have are good, but lack rear cornering grip. I'm in SoCal, so it's the powder dust rutted summer conditions that require knob bier tires. Have a Michelin Gripr/Racr 2.25 Combo waiting for the Bronsons to die.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I had issues with the Vigilantes, mostly with punctures on the tread itself. On both 27.5 and 29er. I wanted to like these. Same thing with the Weirwolfs.

I think for sharp rocky terrian, these are not the tires of choice.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    68 may be better, as it's always a bit runny in the largest cassette cog even without any drive side spacers.

Andrew Leighton - how are the vigilantes treating you?

Greg - I'm working in Rio for the next week or so and will check on the Inbred spacers when I get home. Can't remember off the top of my head.
    Another way to bring the chainring in, is spacers with some longer bolts.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Anyone have an opinion on chainring size and pedaling efficiency?

Depending on the frame, certain frames pedal better with certain chainrings. It may be in my head, but I can tell a difference in bob between the 30 and 34 when running 1x.

On the double, (24-34), I can really tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Smile

Ha, yes, I had to smile when I read on this thread about others with the Thumper/Inbred combo. I'm going one stage further and swapping the components between the two frames: Inbred for winter, Thumper for summer. Over here in the UK, it's becoming almost necessary to run a hardtail in the winter slop.

Re: Vigilantes puncturing, what are these "punctures" you speak of? Did they used to happen once upon a time when everyone rode those funny inner tube things? Again, in the UK, tubeless is almost compulsory!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Andrew - I suppose this bike combo is the product of "Great minds think alike"

I used to run the Inbred at 120, but found 100 to be better cornering and climbing. Now, I'm running a steel Krampus fork with around 480 a-c. Corners and climbs even better than the squishy front, if you don't mind a little blurry vision in the rough stuff.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... yeah love my purple Inbred. She is currently being swapped over (slowly) to commuter duty. Will plan to go 1x9 to simplify the shifting when I put dirt drops on her. Been the most awesome bike but started beating up my back way too much so decided it was time to go full squish. Had it not been for Scott and his stellar deal I would probably be on an El Guapo 29 or Codeine right now.

mtbr member
    Another way to bring the chainring in, is spacers with some longer bolts.
    That is a great idea! I have an issue with my son's bike and this may correct it

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.leighton View Post
    Ha, yes, I had to smile when I read on this thread about others with the Thumper/Inbred combo. I'm going one stage further and swapping the components between the two frames: Inbred for winter, Thumper for summer. Over here in the UK, it's becoming almost necessary to run a hardtail in the winter slop.

Re: Vigilantes puncturing, what are these "punctures" you speak of? Did they used to happen once upon a time when everyone rode those funny inner tube things? Again, in the UK, tubeless is almost compulsory!
    The Puntures where tubeless, through the tire tread itself. Normally after landing a big drop in sketchy stuff.

mtbr member

Views:	139 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	960556Click image for larger version. 

Views:	174 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	960557
    Right way up this time! Re: 1 x 10 chain line, I run no spacers and in 1st gear the chain is just about engaging in the chainring without issues. Could do with a 68mm shell in my opinion.
    Looks great!

mtbr member

I'm going to start doing this each time you post pics of your bikes...HA!

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-headstand.jpg

Short-Change-Hero
    ^^^ LOL!!!

New photo challenge for everyone... Post picks like above with your bike in it!
    New ring should be here tomorrow and then will have to find time in the coming weeks with my buddy to take everything apart. Calling and ordering a KS Southpaw adapter for my eTen from my LBS today and seeing how much they can get me the MCLEOD for. Oh and found a GEAX Sturdy TNT on ebay for $35 shipped last night so that will be going on the front, gonna be a bit nasty at 950g (seeing as my current GATO is 790g) but wanted to try something a little different but stick with GEAX. Read too many reports that the GOMA was pushing to vaguely in corners as a front tire so figured I would stick with that as a rear.

mtbr member

Interested to hear what you think of the Sturdy

Short-Change-Hero
    yeah I am interested to try it out... The GATO is great however after 3 seasons on the tire I think it is time for something new. Want to try something that is a bit more knobby up front but if it doesnt work out I am going back to the GATO. Guitar Ted from TwentyNineInches gave the Sturdy a pretty good review riding in Mammoth, Ca but felt it might be overly heavy depending on the riding you do. Will throw it on the scale against my old GATO when it comes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Some of you might be interested in this. It's a custom fitted carbon fibre down tube guard. Friends of mine own the company (Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors) and they took a mould of my frame so that they can now sell the guards off the shelf, if anyone wants one.

mtbr member
    Very cool! I don't see Switchback listed on the site...love to get the word out about it on our FB page, etc. Can you send updated link once SB is listed?

Short-Change-Hero
    That is awesome... but 35pounds from the UK plus shipping and exports? Kinda sucks for us on the other side of the pond but then again we don't have anything custom to our bikes. I was actually just going to talk with a friend that ours a signage shop to see if they could print me something out (new decal included) that was in a thicker 3M helicopter type tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll post when they've got Switchback listed on their site. Yes they're pricey, but they're still all handmade and are very good quality.

mtbr member
    Carbon Fiber to protect alum frames?

LOL.....never thought I would see that!

The carbon haters heads are going to explode :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deezee View Post

the carbon haters heads are going to explode :-)
    ha!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very cool! I don't see Switchback listed on the site...love to get the word out about it on our FB page, etc. Can you send updated link once SB is listed?
    Hey, Switchback Bikes are now listed on Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    We have a Reveal 9 in Medium Frame Brand New For Sale. Since we cannot completed the build right now, we are presenting it to the forum first. Please take a look at this link SwitchBack Reveal 9 - Medium Unfinish Build - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

We will look at all serious offers. We are asking at least $1000.00 with Cranks, Stem and choice of bars, headset. We can offer you an option with the wheelset and or drive train.
    If you have any question please contact us.
    Thank you .
    Last edited by thebikebondsman; 02-16-2015 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member

Hey, Switchback Bikes are now listed on Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors
    Sweet!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast