Official Post your Bike Retailer 29er Pics Thread(Bikes Direct/Performance/SETTE/etc)- Mtbr.com
    29ering
    Jan 2011

Good job! Official Post your Bike Retailer 29er Pics Thread(Bikes Direct/Performance/SETTE/etc)

Hi thought I would start a thread about Bikesdirect 29ers. First off I don't want this to be a mail order versus LBS thread. Also please be fair and keep this in 29er forum. All 29ers are great. I would like to just see pics of some bikesdirect 29ers and maybe some thoughts about them if you have time as I am also considering buying one.

Moderator edit: in the eyes of fairness please post your retailer bikes photos here! This includes performance, sette, bikes direct, and whatever bike retailers you feel fit that description. If you are looking for rigid, singlespeed or other brand photos there are other post your .... threads in the forum for those specific brands.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 02-17-2011 at 07:55 AM.

poser Administrator
    play nice or go elsewhere thank you!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Rider and Wrench
    I guess since there are no pics...

In 08' I bought a Phantom 29er in flat black- it was something to hang the parts on at the time for $119 I had i built up a bunch of different ways- it ended up being a decent rig I ended passing it on to my brother and it is still going strong

The Raw one was my wife's first 29er she loved it- though it was a hair to big so I just moved her over to a nice 853 steel frame (she was not thrilled as she really liked the moto, but once she rides the new frame she will understand..)

Overall the frames are fine - I did not expect a whole lot for ~$100 but I got my use out of them and can't complain. I have the raw frame hanging around and not sure where it will end up-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Post your Bike Retailer 29er Pics Thread(Bikes Direct/Performance/SETTE/etc)-dirty-black-moto-comp.jpg  

Official Post your Bike Retailer 29er Pics Thread(Bikes Direct/Performance/SETTE/etc)-clean-black-moto-comp.jpg  

Official Post your Bike Retailer 29er Pics Thread(Bikes Direct/Performance/SETTE/etc)-raw-moto1.jpg  

Official Post your Bike Retailer 29er Pics Thread(Bikes Direct/Performance/SETTE/etc)-raw-moto2.jpg  

Official Post your Bike Retailer 29er Pics Thread(Bikes Direct/Performance/SETTE/etc)-raw-moto3.jpg  

I Just wish I could ride more!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I am unsure why Motobecane forum would cover SE, Windsor, Gravity, GT, Kestrel, Breezer. Not bashing; just saying Moto forum is for really not for all brands we sell.
    OK, well then lets have a thread for all 29ers that are sold by any given LBS...oh yea, we already do

PS-I have purchased a BD bike in the past so I am not bashing the brand, just this stupid thread

On wuss patrol

Holy Hell

How hard is it to simply post some pics and impressions that the OP intended and ignore if you don't like BD/Mike/the brands they sell?

Trying to get this thread moving. My Dawes Bullseye. Mostly stock in first pic and then with a few more bits I had lying around. Easy to change this bike up for different rides.

Love how it rides and it seems quite durable. I've beat the piss out of this one for a couple months now and pretty much have not touched my FS SJ 29 since this thing arrived. Simple. Challenging. With the rigid ss, I see lines I never saw before.

Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Name another RETAILER with a thread.
    Don't people start threads about particular retailers often?

It's either this or someone could ask for a Windsor forum, a Dawes forum, a whatever forum. I actually think your BD forum idea has merit.

I think we could agree that most people here kind of lump all the BD brands into one.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    I completely agree that this thread is ridiculous but no rules are being broken so it remains.

And I do not doubt that BD has lots of shops asking to sell their line of product. Always good to have a low cost alternative on the floor once new riders wake up from the sticker shock of a high-end bike.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    How hard is it to simply post some pics and impressions that the OP intended and ignore if you don't like BD/Mike/the brands they sell?

Trying to get this thread moving. My Dawes Bullseye. Mostly stock in first pic and then with a few more bits I had lying around. Easy to change this bike up for different rides.

Love how it rides and it seems quite durable. I've beat the piss out of this one for a couple months now and pretty much have not touched my FS SJ 29 since this thing arrived. Simple. Challenging. With the rigid ss, I see lines I never saw before.

Beautiful bike. I definitely am thinking about going this route as a good commuter type bike. I like the idea of a disc brake commuter bike / all around bike. Good for training, commuting, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Just like a Trek or Speshy or Giant recommendation or ride impression is a kick in the nuts to Jones or Alchemy or even Turner, the small/smaller shops building frames here in the US. Where do you really want to draw this line?
    not even close to being the same thing. those small custom shops are nearly always looking at LONG wait lists so they are running at capacity regardless of how many people buy trek or a giant. You really think Jones or Waltworks or Curtlo are going to "go corporate" and start letting a factory in china crank out their frames? Small custom builders largely rely on the niche market image they have achieved.

I love my LBS but I buy a lot of stuff online because I can save a LOT of money. But I won't buy generic stuff just to save a buck. And that includes frames. Some people are comfortable with the BD stuff. It's just not for me. I am also opposed to their business model but that is a separate issue entirely.

Oh, and to the OP: do a search already. There are dozens of threads with pics of BD bikes already on the forum.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I endorse this thread 100%

Sorry but its better than "29er vs 26er" daily threads or some newb asking whether or not he should switch back to platforms after he fell on his first ride with clipless.

Post away

29ering
    Jan 2011
    I don't get it. BD has some nice 29ers out there, whether you want low end or high end, I think we can all agree on this.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing
    I don't get it. BD has some nice 29ers out there, whether you want low end or high end, I think we can all agree on this.
    Well, you and I do anyway

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRogers1935

Sorry but its better than "29er vs 26er" daily threads or some newb asking whether or not he should switch back to platforms after he fell on his first ride with clipless.

Post away
    I agree 100%. I for one want to see what some people have done with a BD bike. My best friend just got done swapping a bunch of components on his Motobecane SS from BD. This is a thread he can totally relate to. He's just getting into mountain biking and couldn't be more excited about that bike. I'd rather see this thread than some stupid thread of guys posting pictures of some bone stock high end dual suspension 29er. Or somebody posting pics of their 36'er on the back of their d0uchy yellow turbo porsche . I get it. You have a fab shop in your garage. You're rich. I'm not. I'd rather see bikes from guys in my pay grade. If you don't like the thread, move on. My 2 cents.

On wuss patrol
    Beautiful bike. I definitely am thinking about going this route as a good commuter type bike. I like the idea of a disc brake commuter bike / all around bike. Good for training, commuting, etc.
    Thanks.

That is exactly how I'm using this bike and since I like to hit trails often on my way home, "all around" is a perfect description (although a cx would work as well or better). The Nanos that came with it are actually pretty decent rollers but not real grippy on the slimy trails. That's why I put on the Specialized Captain and Eskar, rear and front. Okay rollers but a little more bite. I'll throw the Nanos back on as things dry out a little.

Out of the almost 400 miles I've put on it since December, a little over half are on the road. The gears go on as I feel like it, or if my work travel distances increase (sub school teacher) and I want to avoid spinning out with the 18 or 20 tooth. I rarely go lower than the 20 tooth on the cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A stock Fantom 29 that I added bar ends to. It's a fun bike to ride, although even with the nano's, I'm not real fond of road riding it. It's a blast on trails.

Although the tires weren't the best in this clay muck down at Flamingo in Everglades National Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRogers1935

Post away
    Grew up racing BMX with platforms. Been riding mountain bikes with platforms for 10 years now. Didn't know it was uncool until someone "cool" said so.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    Grew up racing BMX with platforms. Been riding mountain bikes with platforms for 10 years now. Didn't know it was uncool until someone "cool" said so.
    That's not what he was saying...

beware the grammar police

owner and founder of www.moto-rush.com motorcycling community

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Nice bike paco, thanks for posting. I just ordered a 29er from BD and hope to get it here soon.

Trail Ninja
    Moto Fly Team 29 Ti XO 20spd
    Pretty much everything except the SRAM (including Avid and RockShox) components and cables have been upgraded. XX crank on it now.

Haven't ridden it on the trails in a while cause I have a Fisher SF100 now--my upgraditis finally was satisfied with this purchase.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    Moto Fly Team 29 Ti XO 20spd
    Pretty much everything except the SRAM (including Avid and RockShox) components and cables have been upgraded. XX crank on it now.

Haven't ridden it on the trails in a while cause I have a Fisher SF100 now--my upgraditis finally was satisfied with this purchase.
    Very nice. Can I ask why you upgraded the cranks? Did the FSA cranks suck? So the Fisher SF100 has a better frame?

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Gonna have to agree with halflip here, if you don't like the thread then just move on. There are tons of other threads whether it be salsa, karate monkey, lynskey etc. that don't get this kind of weird flack.

There have been races where pros have won on BD bikes. Maybe not 29er specific, but I've read about pros winning road races on BD bikes.

Not that it means anything, just sayin...for those that can wrench it's an alternative to save a lot of money I think. Not everyone's cup of tea, but some of us like it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I love my moto ti frame. I think its a great value for the money. Maybe Mike should make some t-shirts bashing the forum members here and more people would think the bikes are cool.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    I love my moto ti frame. I think its a great value for the money. Maybe Mike should make some t-shirts bashing the forum members here and more people would think the bikes are cool.

That is a very nice bike! What makes this Ti frame different than other ones besides the labels?

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    Is your bike matte finished? On the website the orange is very shiny....
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Is your bike matte finished? On the website the orange is very shiny....
    Yes, Bullseyes are matte finish. The website photos do look glossier than the actual bike. The Deadeye is glossy and sometimes customers who want a gloss finish but disc brakes will buy the Deadeye and upgrade the brakes.

(just keeping this thread about what it is about)

On wuss patrol

Another pic

So.... in keeping with the intended spirit of this thread, a shot of her in her commuter best at school. Fenders, light, the bell and gears.

(just keeping this thread about what it is about)

mtbr member
    My Motobecane 29er Elite taken with my cell camera

I now ride a Lynskey Ridgeline but the Motobecane is a great bike for the price. The 29er Elite is now my wifes/float bike. I was a bike mechanic for 4 plus years, sold every major brand under the sun at one point of time or another and think that bikes from bikesdirect are a good value.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinbunyon
    That's not what he was saying...
    Thank you

poser Administrator
    I have refreshed this thread to be more inclusive. Please feel free to post your 29er pictures from any bicycle retailer in here such as Bikes Direct, Sette, performance etc.

if you are looking for specific brands such as motobecane, specialized, black sheep, etc there are other post your photo threads in the forums for specific brands. If you are looking for a specific type of 29er such as single speed, rigid, Ti, monstercross, etc there are also specific photo threads for those types of 29er as well.

If you feel that those kind of specific 29er threads don't apply to you, there isn't a brand post for your 29er or you just want to post up your love for a certain retailer this is your place.

Go crazy but keep it in control and about the bike and ride.

Please note: this thread will not tolerate posts regarding the merits of individual bicycle retailers and their brands. Please start a new thread if you wish to discuss this.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 02-17-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I have refreshed this thread to be more inclusive. Please feel free to post your 29er pictures from any bicycle retailer in here such as Bikes Direct, Sette, performance etc.

if you are looking for specific brands such as motobecane, specialized, black sheep, etc there are other post your photo threads in the forums for specific brands. If you are looking for a specific type of 29er such as single speed, rigid, Ti, monstercross, etc there are also specific photo threads for those types of 29er as well.

If you feel that those kind of specific 29er threads don't apply to you, there isn't a brand post for your 29er or you just want to post up your love for a certain retailer this is your place.

Please note: this thread will not tolerate posts regarding the merits of individual bicycle retailers and their brands. Please start a new thread if you wish to discuss this.
    Well Done!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That, is raceYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nice bike!

AZ
    banned
    No pics of it in the wild ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Not sure why this needed to be consolidated and this couldn't be kept bikesdirect only thread as originally intended. I don't see PerformanceBike selling Titanium 29ers with XO grouppo, SRAM XX, etc. I don't see performance designing their own full suspension 29er. BD is clearly different than those other retailers.

I definitely don't see performancebike selling anything remotely close to this found on bikesdirect:

BD is clearly far above what Performance is in what they sell, and is much different than those retailers.

Rider and Wrench
    Not sure why this needed to be consolidated and this couldn't be kept bikesdirect only thread as originally intended. I don't see PerformanceBike selling Titanium 29ers with XO grouppo, SRAM XX, etc. I don't see performance designing their own full suspension 29er. BD is clearly different than those other retailers.

I definitely don't see performancebike selling anything remotely close to this found on bikesdirect:

BD is clearly far above what Performance is in what they sell, and is much different than those retailers.
    Um no not so much

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...1580500_400326

and um

Actually yep they all offer expensive bikes... regardless of what sticker is on the down tube... I think you might have already said that...

I have no beef with moto but a spade is a spade.

poser Administrator

obviously you seem to be lacking an understanding of second chance. I can just as easily close this thread back down yet i have given it a new life based on the comments of the majority of users in this and other threads related to it.

The definition of Bikes Direct is a bicycle retailer, perhaps online should be thrown in there as well, but for all intensive purposes they sell bikes to people. They are not a local bike shop nor are they a single brand. They are a reseller of bicycles ergo it is only fair that other resellers of bicycles, be it Pricepoint, performance bike or even REI, get to be in this thread.

You yourself said you wanted to see pictures of the Bike Direct 29ers as you were thinking of getting one, seems like a good idea that you might want to see others 29ers of similar ilk as well, and perhaps others would like the same. You might decide you want the Carbon fiber Sette from Pricepoint or a Access 9r instead once you see them as might others.

If you want to have a thread espousing the virtues of one of Bike Direct's brands such as windsor or motobecane, knock yourself out, but search first because there may already be ones.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Um no not so much

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1580500_400326

and um

Actually yep they all offer expensive bikes... regardless of what sticker is on the down tube... I think you might have already said that...

I have no beef with moto but a spade is a spade.
    Kestrel Air foil with Zipp wheels is now comparable to a Scattante road bike? Performance doesn't make a titanium 29er. I don't think you get it, or you are just joking.

Apr 2007

Holy BDnutswinger. First, they all sell high end bikes. Even if they don't, who cares, and what does that have to do with this thread you started? Second, BD doesn't design anything original. Third, keep your trap shut unless you want another one of your threads closed.

Rider and Wrench
    Kestrel Air foil with Zipp wheels is now comparable to a Scattante road bike? Performance doesn't make a titanium 29er. I don't think you get it, or you are just joking.
    Funny your upset because I generalized "expensive" bike with a carbon Kestrel and compared it to a carbon Scattante... Both carbon... right. yet in this same thread you asked what the difference was between the moto ti frame and any other??? How about Moots? I don't know you tell me, seems like you are splitting hairs here-

And my point was BD is not on the downtube of any bikes they sell low and high end bikes of multiple brands just as a whole slew of other online retailers do (yes I agree BD has a different buss. model but this does not make them a bike BRAND). Again I am not taking aim at a Motop or any other BD bike as you can see form my post a few days ago I am familiar with their products, geeeesh.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    obviously you seem to be lacking an understanding of second chance. I can just as easily close this thread back down yet i have given it a new life based on the comments of the majority of users in this and other threads related to it.

The definition of Bikes Direct is a bicycle retailer, perhaps online should be thrown in there as well, but for all intensive purposes they sell bikes to people. They are not a local bike shop nor are they a single brand. They are a reseller of bicycles ergo it is only fair that other resellers of bicycles, be it Pricepoint, performance bike or even REI, get to be in this thread.

You yourself said you wanted to see pictures of the Bike Direct 29ers as you were thinking of getting one, seems like a good idea that you might want to see others 29ers of similar ilk as well, and perhaps others would like the same. You might decide you want the Carbon fiber Sette from Pricepoint or a Access 9r instead once you see them as might others.

If you want to have a thread espousing the virtues of one of Bike Direct's brands such as windsor or motobecane, knock yourself out, but search first because there may already be ones.

It's an obvious double standard. A person starts a thread about the new 2011 orbea, they want to keep it about orbea, not about other 2011 LBS bikes because they deserve to be mentioned in the thread. I personally think this has to do with the site and your sponsors, and nothing to do with fairness, so I'll leave it alone. Keep forgetting this is .com and not .org.

Apr 2007
    Comprehension is not your strong suit, is it?

Bloated Cubs Fan

I spent all day yesterday going to bat for this thread (your thread), and others like it. This post demonstrates the polar OPPOSITE sentiment that I was trying to convey. It's also the polar opposite sentiment that I thought others (you) were trying to convey. You're obviously completely insane, and I will never post about this effing crap again! Good day sir!

poser Administrator
    It's an obvious double standard. A person starts a thread about the new 2011 orbea, they want to keep it about orbea, not about other 2011 LBS bikes because they deserve to be mentioned in the thread. I personally think this has to do with the site and your sponsors, and nothing to do with fairness, so I'll leave it alone. Keep forgetting this is .com and not .org.
    Seriously?

allow me to quote myself

Please note: this thread will not tolerate posts regarding the merits of individual bicycle retailers and their brands. Please start a new thread if you wish to discuss this
    see the bolded text and do not post on this topic again or I will lock and send this to the recycle bin.

FreeGrazing consider this your warning. Others posting against this note consider this also your warning. Start a new thread, but stay out of this one. Thank you.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 02-17-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Rider and Wrench
    No it is not ... an Orbea is actually a bike brand... on the down tube... they make the bike!

if you want a Motopecane or windsor thread it is fine... but BD is not a brand they are a seller... it is not a personal attack or unfairness-

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hmmm...
    that kestrel is quite the unusual looking 29er, isn't it?

fyi that is an 09 bike, kestrel is one of the fuji/se brands & those guys whore themselves to any & every online discounter. so google it & i promise you will find it several places for a lot less than bikedirect's price.

this freegazer d***bag is definitely up to something...today he popped up in the middle of the chinese carbon 29er thread shilling bd's ti bikes.

rockcrusher...i can not believe the patience you are showing with him.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Seriously?

allow me to quote myself

see the bolded text and do not post on this topic again or I will lock and send this to the recycle bin.

FreeGrazing consider this your warning. Others posting against this note consider this also your warning. Start a new thread, but stay out of this one. Thank you.
    I don't like the double standard that bikesdirect gets in this forum. Fact of the matter is I should be able to start a thread solely on bikesdirect 29er pics as intended in the first place without people trashing the thread just because it's about bikesdirect bikes. And mods should simply of policed the original thread instead of allowing off topic comments...that's the bottom line, and that is what we call, fairness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That is a very nice bike! What makes this Ti frame different than other ones besides the labels?
    About a grand.

AZ
    banned
    And the new one , artists rendering since its so new I don't have a pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    I love my LBS but I buy a lot of stuff online because I can save a LOT of money.
    Tell your LBS that when they go out of business.

The Road Warrior
    Dig this bad dog

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't quite understand the drama here. I like seeing bikes in my price range. Here's mine

My favorite bike to ride that I have.It's my "beat the living hell out of" bike.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Your faceplate is upside down....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333
    I don't quite understand the drama here. I like seeing bikes in my price range. Here's mine

My favorite bike to ride that I have.It's my "beat the living hell out of" bike.
    Where do you get the colorful components for upgrade?

US Soccer

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Your faceplate is upside down....
    I have fixed it since the picture. Just didn't care enough to take a newer picture. Also has a raceface evolve crankset on it now, making the only stock parts on it the headset. Probably should have just bought the frame and built it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Garilia
    Where do you get the colorful components for upgrade?
    I dug around quite a bit, got lucky with the fork, rattle canned a few things.

mtbr member
    Does Orbea actually make their bikes? In their own factories? I don't know, but I doubt it.

I don't have a BD bike, not much interest in them, but I don't understand the anger about them. Even by their website, you can see they treat their bikes as commodity bikes (ie, LX bikes, Tiagra bikes...), so their individual brands don't mean much. Rather, they all fall under the BD umbrella, since they're all controlled by BD. That's a different model from Performance, where they have some of their own brands (Access, Scattante), but also some outside brands (GT, Schwinn--although, are they still independent of Performance?)

Anyway, to keep in the spirit of this thread, here's my old Access 29er. I liked it!

I won't show the Salsa or Surly I've purchased from Speedgoat, because those don't seem to fit the spirit here.

Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    No it is not ... an Orbea is actually a bike brand... on the down tube... they make the bike!

if you want a Motopecane or windsor thread it is fine... but BD is not a brand they are a seller... it is not a personal attack or unfairness-
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Members who have read this thread: 0