mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Offering vs Ripmo for 215lb rider

These two bikes are intriguing to me, but havenít ridden either yet and likely couldnít demo Evil. What bike and shock setup is better for a 215lb rider as a general all around bike? Iím worried about blowing through travel or losing small bump sensitivity at my size. Anyone know the leverage ratio of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Both have reviews on this years Bible of Bikes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz_wwKDAU8

Rollin 29s
    205# here but was 220 when I got my XL Ripmo. With the DPX2 and 1 volume spacer in the shock itís perfect. I was over pressure to avoid bottom outs before the volume spacer.

Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Both have reviews on this years Bible of Bikes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz_wwKDAU8

Thanks! I watched those already, but it's tough as most reviewers aren't my size.

I found this leverage ratio chart for the Ripmo:
    Linkage Design: Ibis

I'd like to see a chart for the Offering and SB130 for that matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    These two bikes are intriguing to me, but havenít ridden either yet and likely couldnít demo Evil. What bike and shock setup is better for a 215lb rider as a general all around bike? Iím worried about blowing through travel or losing small bump sensitivity at my size. Anyone know the leverage ratio of both?

I'd advise the Offering as the frame seems overbuilt and Burly and generally the Rockshox rear shocks can handle higher PSI if needed as I believe it's 350psi max.

Also Evil bikes are known for resisting Bottom Outs pretty well and they have a rather Progressive leverage curve.

My Ripmo blow through travel fairly easy and although the frame is one of the lightest production LT frames available I don't think the extra weight of the Evil frame will matter much to you in the end.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    205# here but was 220 when I got my XL Ripmo. With the DPX2 and 1 volume spacer in the shock itís perfect. I was over pressure to avoid bottom outs before the volume spacer.

at 205 with the DPX2 and 1 volume spacer how much air pressure are you running? Did you ever try the X2 as well? Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I'd advise the Offering as the frame seems overbuilt and Burly and generally the Rockshox rear shocks can handle higher PSI if needed as I believe it's 350psi max.

Also Evil bikes are known for resisting Bottom Outs pretty well and they have a rather Progressive leverage curve.

My Ripmo blow through travel fairly easy and although the frame is one of the lightest production LT frames available I don't think the extra weight of the Evil frame will matter much to you in the end.
    Thanks for your input. Since you have an SB130 as well, what do you think about the Offering vs SB130 for my needs?

mtbr member
    Evil have a three year warranty, Ibis offer seven years, Yeti have moved to a lifetime warranty (which might mean they're more confident in the longevity of their new frames than the older SBs?). Might be something to consider if you're a bigger guy who rides hard?

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input. Since you have an SB130 as well, what do you think about the Offering vs SB130 for my needs?
    The Yeti is on another level compared to those bikes as a "Do everything well" bike that benefits most from the extreme Geo change from Prior Yeti models.

I'm actually going to more than likely sell my Ripmo and not because it's not a great bike but because it's behind the SB130 in almost every circumstance.

I'm 210-215 pounds depending on gear and water I take on my rides

But I will say that the SB130 also needs attention on the rear shock if you tend to be aggressive on big hits and features.....I added the .6 light Blue Volume spacer to my DPX2 and no more issues bottoming and I dropped PSI from 252psi to 240psi and small bump sensitivity is still amazing and the bike keeps traction better than anything I've owned or ridden.

I'd say for sure try and find someone with an Evil Offering and give it a spin but You'd be over the moon on the Yeti and the bike rides much bigger than it's 130mm rear travel.

I posted a review in the Yeti Forums comparing the SB130 to the SB5.5 which is still a great bike.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Give this a watch as it was just posted today....SB130 vs Evil Offering
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDpUvuhhPYE&t=304s
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I found this leverage ratio chart for the Ripmo:
    Linkage Design: Ibis

I'd like to see a chart for the Offering and SB130 for that matter.
    The charts and explanations for the Following MB(2018) and Calling(2018) give figures and explanation that will likely be very similar for the Offering.

Small bump was described as Hover-like in the written review.
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-offering-xo1/
    Ryan Palmer chose it as his favorite bike.
    "Choice: Evil Offering
    The Ibis Ripmo was the most impressive bike I'd ridden all year going into the Bible, so to knock it off the hot seat, I grabbed the bike I most anticipated riding: the Yeti SB130. It did not disappoint. It pedaled superbly, had big-hit support and small-bump sensitivity, and had progressive geometry that begged for more speed up, down and all around. Plus, it was drop-dead gorgeous. Better than the Ripmo? Yeesh, tough call. I'm not sure, "
    https://www.bikemag.com/2019-bible-o...bible-brigade/
    And so did Travis Engel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Evil have a three year warranty, Ibis offer seven years, Yeti have moved to a lifetime warranty (which might mean they're more confident in the longevity of their new frames than the older SBs?). Might be something to consider if you're a bigger guy who rides hard?
    More confident or needed to justify the cost?
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Premium for Yeti kinda funds the warranty- like theyíre selling insurance or something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Yeti is on another level compared to those bikes as a "Do everything well" bike that benefits most from the extreme Geo change from Prior Yeti models.

I'm actually going to more than likely sell my Ripmo and not because it's not a great bike but because it's behind the SB130 in almost every circumstance.

But I will say that the SB130 also needs attention on the rear shock if you tend to be aggressive on big hits and features.....I added the .6 light Blue Volume spacer to my DPX2 and no more issues bottoming and I dropped PSI from 252psi to 240psi and small bump sensitivity is still amazing and the bike keeps traction better than anything I've owned or ridden.

I'd say for sure try and find someone with an Evil Offering and give it a spin but You'd be over the moon on the Yeti and the bike rides much bigger than it's 130mm rear travel.

I posted a review in the Yeti Forums comparing the SB130 to the SB5.5 which is still a great bike.
    Thanks! It's good to know someone my size is finding success with the SB130. That bike sounds like the best bike for me on paper, but I think I need to throw a leg over one and get over some concerns from reading the Yeti forums.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Give this a watch as it was just posted today....SB130 vs Evil Offering
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDpUvuhhPYE&t=304s
    good video.....for this bike I want a bit better climber and it sounds like the SB130 is better. I also want playful and maybe the Evil is better at that.....ahhh, tough choices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The charts and explanations for the Following MB(2018) and Calling(2018) give figures and explanation that will likely be very similar for the Offering.

Small bump was described as Hover-like in the written review.
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-offering-xo1/
    Ryan Palmer chose it as his favorite bike.
    "Choice: Evil Offering
    The Ibis Ripmo was the most impressive bike I'd ridden all year going into the Bible, so to knock it off the hot seat, I grabbed the bike I most anticipated riding: the Yeti SB130. It did not disappoint. It pedaled superbly, had big-hit support and small-bump sensitivity, and had progressive geometry that begged for more speed up, down and all around. Plus, it was drop-dead gorgeous. Better than the Ripmo? Yeesh, tough call. I'm not sure, "
    And so did Travis Engel.
    lots of love for the Offering...hhmmmm. I really wish I could ride both back to back.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I'm on an XL Ripmo at 195lb with a 2019 X2 and 36 grip. Still have room for 1 more spacer in the shock and it never bottoms even off big hits.

Ripmo is 1lb lighter than a Offering and just as stiff.
    Offering has a more progressive spring curve which works with coils and large volume air cans.
    Ibis has a much better warranty.
    Ripmo has best in class tire clearance too.

Ripmo is plusher, has a stiffer frame than the 130 and is a better trail bike. The switch infinity link has a $200+ replacement cost when it wears out. It is also proprietary so long term availability is questionable.

If you watch the videos they really like the Offering and SB130, but are giddy over the Ripmo.

The Ripmo feels small, nibble, poppy and stable all at the same time.

If you only climb for the downs I would go with the Offering and put an 11-6 on it.

Bible bikes testers would bye.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Rollin 29s
    at 205 with the DPX2 and 1 volume spacer how much air pressure are you running? Did you ever try the X2 as well? Thanks for the feedback.
    225psi Was at 300psi without volume spacer.

Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I'm on an XL Ripmo at 195lb with a 2019 X2 and 36 grip. Still have room for 1 more spacer in the shock and it never bottoms even off big hits.

Ripmo is 1lb lighter than a Offering and just as stiff.
    Offering has a more progressive spring curve which works with coils and large volume air cans.
    Ibis has a much better warranty.
    Ripmo has best in class tire clearance too.

Ripmo is plusher, has a stiffer frame than the 130 and is a better trail bike. The switch infinity link has a $200+ replacement cost when it wears out. It is also proprietary so long term availability is questionable.

If you watch the videos they really like the Offering and SB130, but are giddy over the Ripmo.

The Ripmo feels small, nibble, poppy and stable all at the same time.

If you only climb for the downs I would go with the Offering and put an 11-6 on it.

Bible bikes testers would bye.
    thanks for the input. I'm a good 20lbs heavier than you and something seems weird about needed to run max spacers in the shock to prevent bottoming out. The Ripmo may be the easiest bike for me to demo so I may do that over the holidays

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    225psi Was at 300psi without volume spacer.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Warranties usually only cover manufacturing defects to the original owner so at a certain point there is not much difference in # of claims for an X year warranty vs. a X+5 or X+10 year warranty. Most problems will surface in a year or so and a lot of riders buy new bikes after 2-3 years.

So Yeti may well feel that they can offer a lifetime warranty without incurring any dramatically increased costs over say a 3yr warranty.

Also keep in mind "lifetime" is not the owner's life it's the bike's service life. That let's companies decided you've received fair use from the bike and not cover a defect later on.

If I was picking between an Evil or a Yeti the warranties would not sway me one way or another. In practical terms they are equivalent.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Offering vs Ripmo for 215lb rider

Might also want to consider what was said above about ability to run wider tires.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

dmo
    mtbr member

Skinny, you still have your Rallon? Howd you rank it amongst the bikes mentioned; offering, ripmo, sb130?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Warranties usually only cover manufacturing defects to the original owner so at a certain point there is not much difference in # of claims for an X year warranty vs. a X+5 or X+10 year warranty. Most problems will surface in a year or so and a lot of riders buy new bikes after 2-3 years.

So Yeti may well feel that they can offer a lifetime warranty without incurring any dramatically increased costs over say a 3yr warranty.

Also keep in mind "lifetime" is not the owner's life it's the bike's service life. That let's companies decided you've received fair use from the bike and not cover a defect later on.

If I was picking between an Evil or a Yeti the warranties would not sway me one way or another. In practical terms they are equivalent.
    I've thought of this as well. I also think I'll keep a bike for many years, but I don't think I've ever held on to one longer than 2 years. Yeti and Ibis are with my LBS, but for Evil I would probably go Fanatik.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Might also want to consider what was said above about ability to run wider tires.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
    That was a good video on tires although it's not quite that simple. All else being equal I would like to have a frame with more tire clearance, but I'm not sure I would ever run higher than an indicated 2.6.....likely though to do on the Yeti.