Oat Hill Mine Rd. Ride- Mtbr.com
    NedwannaB

Oat Hill Mine Rd. Ride

Ok you NorCal vetran 29'rs tell me, in so many words, how much easier my ride wouldah been on a 9'r today! Hhhmmmm? Anybody? You're right, I'm kinda trollin, but I have caught the 29" bug I think.

First time up there today & I'd have to say it must help somewhat with a little more circumfrence. I know, I know, they roll alot better, just how much? Better going up, or down? Anyone ridden 26 & 29's up there care to elaborate?

Here's a couple pix (if I can get them up, hey! watchit) for your troubles and for others that might not be benifiting from this nice weather we've had the last few days.

Sorry, haven't got the knack of adding text for pix yet:

1) Where I intend to go
    2) Melow section of trail get'n there!
    3) One view of the payoff

J
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-29-2006 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thats My Favorite Ride...

in the world! I've been to Moab and Sedona. Ridden in the San Diego area and live in the NE. My wife used to live in Napa and we were visiting 2-3 times a year, no visit was allowed without a rental from Palisades Mountain Sports. Skyline in Napa is always fun, but Oat Hill is my alltime fav!! On a side note, the passing of Palisades Mountain Sports was a major one! Very few businesses run like that one, the best!!!
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

bike geek

That's in NorCal??

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Ok you NorCal vetran 29'rs tell me, in so many words, how much easier my ride wouldah been on a 9'r today! Hhhmmmm? Anybody? You're right, I'm kinda trollin, but I have caught the 29" bug I think.

J
    Jeez, I'm in NorCal myself and have never heard of Oat whatever. Looks like someplace I should find out about though! Do tell...

NedwannaB

Calistoga!

Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    Jeez, I'm in NorCal myself and have never heard of Oat whatever. Looks like someplace I should find out about though! Do tell...
    Yah, trail head is just right down from Main St. where it hits Silverado Trail. There evidently is alot more riding up there, I only did the 6-8mi. up & back to the area where there used to be some sort of structure, probably from the early days when wagons used to go up & over to Lake county I would guess. Beleive me, there's plenty of goodness in that short milage. You'll love it if you're into tecky climbs, finding the lines, spines etc. I'm definitely going back, with grub for a longer outting next, but with pads this time. Not to bomb the trail, just that there's lots & lotsa rocks to land on...as I did going otb at the begging of my desent. Cracked my elbow pretty good. Very humbling Also maybe some other riders to enjoy it with & act as Paparazzi & Medics!

The trail is called "Oat Hill MIne Rd." and you'll find it in Trail Reviews froum.

NedwannaB

Definitely worth the climb.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    in the world! I've been to Moab and Sedona. Ridden in the San Diego area and live in the NE. My wife used to live in Napa and we were visiting 2-3 times a year, no visit was allowed without a rental from Palisades Mountain Sports. Skyline in Napa is always fun, but Oat Hill is my alltime fav!! On a side note, the passing of Palisades Mountain Sports was a major one! Very few businesses run like that one, the best!!!
    Next time I'll knock off some of the "dabs" hopefully on the way up. For sure the OTB I did on the way down! Not sure of the sport shop you were refering to, but I did stop into the bike shop on the Main drag whom gave me directions to t/h.

Wishing you an early spring.

Recovering couch patato
    I hate you guys for having such mountains on your continent, let alone state or county. Ride along the dijk for me :-(

Try this for posting pic stories http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...ing/upload.asp

add [IMG ] in front and [/ IMG] behind, less spaces, or use the advanced reply and pic link buttom.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

NedwannaB

Thanks Cloxxki!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I hate you guys for having such mountains on your continent, let alone state or county. Ride along the dijk for me :-(

Try this for posting pic stories http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...ing/upload.asp

add [IMG ] in front and [/ IMG] behind, less spaces, or use the advanced reply and pic link buttom.
    It's book marked & ready for study when I get home.

Re: "Riding along the dijk's", can't you find a steep one to play on??

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    I haven't been to Oat Hill yet but you're fast enough... no 29 for you!

NedwannaB

Hey!! I know there's a.........

Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    I haven't been to Oat Hill yet but you're fast enough... no 29 for you!

...compliment in there somewheres!! Heh...Yah, being vertcally challenged like I am, I hit the ground faster then youuuuuuuu!

So, I'm going to invite myself down to see you guys & ride sometime in the future when the "Freak" rolls into town...that'd be ok, right??

the wabbitt
    to you.....

mtbr member
    That trail is very technical/rocky, having ridden it some years ago. I don't think a 29er would make things much easier, if at all. I'm not the greatest rider, but I had my seat way down and I rode not clipped in so I could put a foot down (which I did often). We rode it all the way to Aetna Springs (and got stopped by a land owner on the Aetna Springs end who said that it was a private road, but I think he was just having some fun with us and let us through) and took the Ink Grade and Silverado Trail back. Watch out for poison oak on this trail!

NedwannaB

That's what I've heard

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    That trail is very technical/rocky, having ridden it some years ago. I don't think a 29er would make things much easier, if at all. I'm not the greatest rider, but I had my seat way down and I rode not clipped in so I could put a foot down (which I did often). We rode it all the way to Aetna Springs (and got stopped by a land owner on the Aetna Springs end who said that it was a private road, but I think he was just having some fun with us and let us through) and took the Ink Grade and Silverado Trail back. Watch out for poison oak on this trail!
    More untraveled & overgrown farther up, but a kool route.