Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261

    NOS 2013 Jamis Dragon Race frame in my size...... pull the trigger?

    I'm just getting back on the trails after a number of years away from mountain biking.
    I recently picked up a ridiculous closeout deal from BD (no flaming) on a Gravity 29 Point 6 with XT/XTR. Looks like old stock from 2013-14 ish. It's a great bike, and there is nothing wrong with the frame. I've swappred the requisite items (saddle, post, stem, bars) to get rid of the generic items.
    I just got wind of a reasonably priced NOS frame from 2013 - a Jamis Dragon Race (Reynolds 853). I remember this bike as a legend - starting in the 90's IIRC, and I remember the 29er version being considered a great bike.
    Its geometry seems to be somewhat between old and new - 71 HT, 72 ST.

    The Gravity is 70/72.
    Again, the Gravity rides great, but I have a hard time not popping for a nice steel frame (I love steel).

    I'm primarily an XC guy. I've been a lifelong cyclist (now in my 50's) and started riding mountain bikes in 1985. I pretty much gravitate to hardtail bikes, and ride singletrack, not afraid to dive into rocky, rooty stuff and enjoy the challenge of picking a good line through what most DH'ers and AM'ers fly over. That said, my sweetspot is flowy singletrack with lots of topography.
    The only FS bike I ever liked was my old Klein Adept Pro, which (let's face it) may as well have been a hardtail - 80mm fork and 2.5" rear travel. Great bike.
    So, there you go.

    Anyone with thoughts/experience that can chime in (good/bad/ugly)?
    Thanks for any info or input folks may have.
    Last edited by canyoneagle; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:22 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    30
    I would look for a ritchey P29 frame. It has the same 135mm rear dropouts but they made it with a tapered headtube. That will allow you to get an angleset headset and slacken the bike to 69 or 68 or upgrade the fork down the road if you want to. The dragon or ritchey would both be worth transforming into $4k msrp bikes but the ritchey will be more versatile. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...y+p29&_sacat=0

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerC View Post
    I would look for a ritchey P29 frame. It has the same 135mm rear dropouts but they made it with a tapered headtube. That will allow you to get an angleset headset and slacken the bike to 69 or 68 or upgrade the fork down the road if you want to. The dragon or ritchey would both be worth transforming into $4k msrp bikes but the ritchey will be more versatile. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...y+p29&_sacat=0
    Definitely another option - the P29 has been on my radar. The compelling thing right now is that I can get the Jamis for under $300 shipped. Otherwise, I'm not necessarily itching to get out of the Gravity - it is a pretty sorted out frame - BD bikes are made by Kinesis, which shares factory space with some pretty nice bikes - quality is nice, and the geometry seems pretty good.

    If the Jamis becomes a no go, I'll keep my eyes peeled for other deals that offer an upgrade without alot of cash outlay.

    This bike is a stand in - I'd ultimately like to get a Jones Plus SWB - spaceframe with truss fork, so I'm biding my time.
    Anyway, the P29 is definitely an option if I can get one below the $400 mark.
    Last edited by canyoneagle; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:18 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Did the deal. $275 shipped.
    I'll post pics
    I'm looking forward to the build, and (most importantly) the ride.
    Last edited by canyoneagle; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:36 AM.

  5. #5
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,515
    Sounds like we are similar in age and riding style.
    I sold lots of Jamis bikes from the late 80's to early 90's and had been interested in picking up a Dragon for a while. When the deal came up on mine, I grabbed it. I've been quite pleased with it so far.

    NOS 2013 Jamis Dragon Race frame in my size...... pull the trigger?-1114181534a.jpg

  6. #6
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,181
    I have a Dragon Race myself. Absolutely love it. I think the Reynolds 853 is a nicer tubeset than what Ritchey uses. I did wish it came with a tapered head tube, but I was able to procure all my parts from a previous bike and swap it over to the Dragon frame.

    And for $300 I'd be hard press to pass up a NOS Dragon Race frame.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Great feedback. I agree - 853 is great steel.
    I look forward to building it up. Should be a nice steed.
    If I get $100 or so for the Gravity frame, I'll only be $175 out of pocket for the upgrade. Pretty cool!

    Out of curiosity - what rear tire size are you guys running? The Jamis site shows a 2.0 rear tire in the standard spec. I have a 2.25 WTB Trail Boss on a 20(ish)i rim. I also have a 2.1 WTB if the 2.25 is too tight.
    I haven't measured the inner rim dimension and have had trouble finding the specs online - WTB Speed Disc All Mountain 29. Looks like OD is 26mm.

  8. #8
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,515
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoneagle View Post
    Great feedback. I agree - 853 is great steel.
    I look forward to building it up. Should be a nice steed.
    If I get $100 or so for the Gravity frame, I'll only be $175 out of pocket for the upgrade. Pretty cool!

    Out of curiosity - what rear tire size are you guys running? The Jamis site shows a 2.0 rear tire in the standard spec. I have a 2.25 WTB Trail Boss on a 20(ish)i rim. I also have a 2.1 WTB if the 2.25 is too tight.
    I haven't measured the inner rim dimension and have had trouble finding the specs online - WTB Speed Disc All Mountain 29. Looks like OD is 26mm.
    I am currently running WTB Wolverine 2.2 with no issues on my 2008 Dragon. My Specialized Fastrak 2.3 also worked with plenty of clearance. The 2.4 Rapid Rob was a bit tight.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I am currently running WTB Wolverine 2.2 with no issues on my 2008 Dragon. My Specialized Fastrak 2.3 also worked with plenty of clearance. The 2.4 Rapid Rob was a bit tight.
    That's fantastic! Great to know that the 2.25 should slot right in, and there is the potential for even more meat out back.

    I recall having 2.4 ardents front and rear on my Singular Gryphon (fully rigid), and loved having the extra bite and absorbtion of the larger tires.
    Not quite plus, but definitely better than being limited to 2.0-2.1

  10. #10
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,796
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I am currently running WTB Wolverine 2.2 with no issues on my 2008 Dragon. My Specialized Fastrak 2.3 also worked with plenty of clearance. The 2.4 Rapid Rob was a bit tight.
    But that's a 26er, right? I've got 2.35s on my 2005. Maxxis High Rollers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  11. #11
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,515
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    But that's a 26er, right? I've got 2.35s on my 2005. Maxxis High Rollers.
    No, my 2008 is 29"

    NOS 2013 Jamis Dragon Race frame in my size...... pull the trigger?-1115181142.jpg

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    30
    My 27.5 barely fits 2.3 morsas which measure at 2.37. A true 2.4 would not fit and I doubt the 2.35 schwalbes would fit. If you like ardent front and back try out the 2.3 morsa it is a very similar tire with bigger side knobs. Wolverine is a huge 2.2.

  13. #13
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,181
    I'm running a Michelin Force XC in 2.25, but measures out closer to a 2.35 on Crests. Plenty of room.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Thanks for the info and pics!

    Got mine all build up and have done a few rides. What a fabulous frame!!!!!!
    The chainstays do not feel long at all - the bike climbs like a goat, and the front has a great balance to it.
    I put the Jones loop riser bar on it, and really love it. Not my first Jones bar - I'm sold on the 45 degree sweep for my physiology. I feel so much more in control, and the bar seems to really help smooth the feel of the bike.

    Here are a few shots - both clean and dirty!

    The WTB 2.25's just fit in back. I've got room in front for a 2.4 or even 2.5 on this rim. 2.3 for now.

    NOS 2013 Jamis Dragon Race frame in my size...... pull the trigger?-img_0987.jpg

    NOS 2013 Jamis Dragon Race frame in my size...... pull the trigger?-img_0990.jpg

  15. #15
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,515
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoneagle View Post
    Thanks for the info and pics!

    Got mine all build up and have done a few rides. What a fabulous frame!!!!!!
    The chainstays do not feel long at all - the bike climbs like a goat, and the front has a great balance to it.
    I put the Jones loop riser bar on it, and really love it. Not my first Jones bar - I'm sold on the 45 degree sweep for my physiology. I feel so much more in control, and the bar seems to really help smooth the feel of the bike.

    Here are a few shots - both clean and dirty!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	1226425

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	449.9 KB 
ID:	1226426
    Looks good! Enjoy!

  16. #16
    Asswipe
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,152
    ^ sweet, nice score. I've had two of these, one geared and one SS. It's decidedly old school XC but I had many great rides on mine before the frame cracked.

    At 205 lbs my XL was a bit like an over cooked noodle. It took me a while to figure out the frame flex was not a flat rear tire, I would stop and check it often. Kind of funny.

    I've considered having the frame repaired some day, still got it in storage.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Where'd your frame crack?
    I'll be sure to keep an eye on it - I'm right at 200, though 185 is my optimal weight. I've gotta get back out there and continue burning those calories....

  18. #18
    Asswipe
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,152
    The welds cracked where the seat stays meet the seattube. I was riding and the tire started hitting the frame. I couldn't figure out what was going on, LBS polished all the dirt and dust from the welds on the rear triangle and two cracks appeared. bummer.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Man, that sucks.
    Hopefully a fluke, but good to know.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,764
    Here's another Jamis Dragon 853. It's been on the Single Speed forum before. Made it rigid up front. Coincidentally, it has Soma Eagle bars which are very similar to the Jones Hbar.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Here's another Jamis Dragon 853. It's been on the Single Speed forum before. Made it rigid up front. Coincidentally, it has Soma Eagle bars which are very similar to the Jones Hbar.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Sweet! Looks like a fun setup!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    261
    Took the bike out for a chilly night ride last night. Tons of fun. Some of the local trails are open for night rides, which will be really nice through these dark months.
    Temps were just above freezing, and I had the trails to myself. There is a local group ride that does the same trails on Tuesdays, but I didn't see anyone on the ride.

    The lighting setup is:
    - bars: Lezyne SuperDrive 1500 XXL
    - helmet: Niterider 850

    Great fun!

    NOS 2013 Jamis Dragon Race frame in my size...... pull the trigger?-img_0994.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. 20 years of Dragon (2013 Dragon 650B)
    By rvanderveur in forum Jamis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 08:19 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 12:02 AM
  5. Jamis Dragon 650b conv, to pull the trigger?
    By phantom_309 in forum 27.5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 08:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 73

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.