Thread: Norco???

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Norco???

Been narrowing down bikes and went to a new shop that sold Norco. Dude talked about them being good bikes and they seem to have everything Iím after. Wondering about weight of each. Thinking Fluid FS1 or possibly Optic. Any input would be cool. Itís a cheaper oftion than Tallboy or Stumpjumper ST or even Trek Fuel ex8. Any words would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Norco definitely makes great bikes. The Optic looks like the better of the two. Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    CAn't go wrong with Norco IMO. A bit of an under the radar not so flashy brand, but when I looked into them I liked what I saw. I've pondered the Range and the new Aurum DH bike looks very well developed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I absolutely love my Sight! It really is an all mountain bike that handles everything I throw at it. Norco bikes are very well thought out.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Former 2015 Range owner, and current 2018 Sight owner. Both great bikes, with wildly different ride characteristics. Every third or fourth bike on the trails where I am is a Norco. Happy to address any questions.

Norco???-4b851a41-8697-4058-89a8-8627c4399c05.jpg

Norco???-ede703f2-3530-4d11-b0fb-7d88704ed099.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Former 2015 Range owner, and current 2018 Sight owner. Both great bikes, with wildly different ride characteristics. Every third or fourth bike on the trails where I am is a Norco. Happy to address any questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B851A41-8697-4058-89A8-8627C4399C05.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	1237260

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDE703F2-3530-4D11-B0FB-7D88704ED099.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	1237261
    That bike looks sick! Love stealth black on black with some gold touches.
    What does the Optic pedal like putting the hammer down and climbing? I'm looking at it too as a possible replacement for my 2014 Devinci Atlas carbon which I think has similar travel but the Optic has modern geo.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A buddy of mine rides an Optic - it's a very active FSR-style 4-bar. If you're looking for something to hammer on (XC style) you would want to set it up with a lockout, or look elsewhere. Ironically, the Sight is a lot more 'modern' in its anti-squat properties and would be a bit less active. Of course, I would by no means recommend riding a Sight in an XC race format - just way too much bike. I would wait to see if they do a late season revision to the Optic kinematics. Or look at the Fluid, which is revised for this year and likely has better pedaling characteristics (if you're not after carbon).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Guerilla Gravity is switching to all carbon US made frames. At very reasonable prices because of new manufacturing tech.
    They make their frames.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gueril...ailpistol.html

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    OP - I havenít ridden or weighed a Fluid FS1 or Optic. I canít help you there.

What I can say is that the Range pictured above weighed 27.7 lbs with pedals, and the Sight pictured above weighs 30 lbs with pedals. I never compromise on tires. Both bikes rocked Minions. Depending on terrain, you could easily shed a pound or more just in rubber.

As a general statement, Norcos are not light bikes. They are nowhere near as overbuilt as they used to be in the early and mid-2000s, but these are still bikes born on the shore, and intended to be ridden in that type of terrain.

I have owned all sorts of different brands of bikes over the years. Rightly or wrongly, I have always felt comfortable with bikes coming from Western Canada. Norco, Kona, Rocky, etc. Their geo has always been spot on and the frames a good balance between robust and light.

If you search Norcoís warranty history at this forum, you will find that it has been excellent. No bull shit.

As for how the bike rides, go to the Linkage Design Blog site and translate the stuff to English. You will have a decent understanding what you would be getting into after reading that.

Sorry I canít be of more help.

PS - it should go without saying that you should do everything in your power to demo as many bikes as you can, including the Norcos, in real world riding conditions, and not in the parking lot at the LBS.