NOOB Questions - Should I buy a Motobecane Gravity 29Point3?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NOOB Questions - Should I buy a Motobecane Gravity 29Point3?

Hey Everyone-

This is my first post and I need help from the experts.

I am looking for a new hard tail 29er and am a HUGE fan of the Fisher line but not the price.

After taking a look at Bikes Direct and the prices it brought a few questions to mind that I am sure you have answered before.

First, are the bikes really a good deal and how is their build quality?

Is the sizing the same as a Trek or Specialized Rockhopper and is the quality equal or is Motobecane just a bad knock-off with good components?

Thanks for the help

T

ride more
    Mar 2007
    OMG - in before the Lock ....

Tá mé ar meisce.
    read this thread it appears to be relevant
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=Gravity

FWIW I purchased my son a used moto fantom and it is a quality bike. I got it for a great deal and it has worked well.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Thanks BeerCar -

The components look great. I am nervous of the frame..

mtbr member
    Like every single forum I've ever been on, this one has a search function. There is a long thread discussing this exact same bike....probably still on page 1 or 2.

As for being a "bad knockoff", that is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that I'd rather go bikeless an extra month or two and save the money for one of the bikes that Bikesdirect compares theirs to.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

AZ
    banned

Wino
    I would never purchase a bike that you can't test ride beforehand. I've seen a couple BD bikes in person and the frames look like they are quality built, but I wouldn't buy any bike sight unseen from a online source.

banned
    Hi Mike.

Is it Friday yet?
    Nope

mtbr member
    The only way you'll get a better spec bike for your money is if you buy used or find a screaming deal on a closeout from last season. It's impossible for the haters to deny the value of a BD bike.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac
    The only way you'll get a better spec bike for your money is if you buy used or find a screaming deal on a closeout from last season. It's impossible for the haters to deny the value of a BD bike.
    Walmart has some nice value options as well

mtbr member
    May 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I just got my Gravity 29point3 on Wednesday and other than the hassle of assembly and tuning the disk brakes and gear shifting, it was well worth it. It took me about an hour to do everything. I took it out for a spin yesterday for some light trail riding and a little curb jumping as well. It handled perfectly and once again, it was money well spent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by **T1**
    Thanks BeerCar -

The components look great. I am nervous of the frame..
    Don't be too nervous, the frame will be fine. These frames are generic in dimensions, construction and material. This is an aluminum hardtail produced in China. That’s good.

For $750 the Gravity 29point3 has pretty good parts spec; Rock Shox Tora, SRAM X7/Deore derailluers and Avid disks brakes.

If you know how to wrench your own bike this is a very good deal. If not, maybe a pain. You get a very good value, with less cost, but slim support.

If I only had < $800 to spend, I would buy one (I always wrench my own bikes though)
    If you don't wrench then save a little more, bit the bullet and go to a dealer (arrgh!)

Your mileage may vary.

b3.
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Smile

I rented a GF mamba and rode it for the day before purchasing the gravity point 3 from BD. this gave me confidence in selecting frame size. I can't tell much of a difference, the bike seems fine to me. I've had it two weeks and taken it out about 4-5 times on 1-1.5 hour trail rides. I'm a new rider, so the limiting factor is ME, not the bike. I'm sure if you are just doing normal, everyday trail riding than this bike will do everything you need it to do.

as far as setting up the bike, I've never worked with 10 speed or disc brakes or hydraulic brakes, but I was able to learn how to do all of the work pretty quickly (you tube). for me, that was part of the attraction, learning how to do all my own work. i didn't have any problems with shipping or delivery, everything was well protected.

I wouldn't let the fact that it is an online purchase stop you. Just get the bike you want, be it one from a LBS or BD. I have 2 bikes one from LBS and now 1 from BD, in each case I did my homework and bought the bike i wanted.

hope that helps.
    ps. I do not work for bikes direct or any other bike related company

mtbr member
    This thread is good. I checked http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=697603 and it is useless. Ordering my BD tonight. Will post pics when assembled. Thanks All!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For those who want to know, the size 21 Gravity 29Point3 weighs right at 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard
    Walmart has some nice value options as well
    This is what people post when they paid way more for an LBS bike with lower spec components, and have to convince themselves that their bike must be better in some way. Don't be offended or alarmed, it's only an instinctive emotional defense reaction.

The last time I checked, I didn't see Ti framed 29er bikes with Rock Shox and XTR or XX components at Walmart. Maybe I just missed them.
    Mind your own religion.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Like every single forum I've ever been on, this one has a search function. There is a long thread discussing this exact same bike....probably still on page 1 or 2.

Actually hes asking about the point 3 not the point 1... Even so I agree with the above and found the thread pretty useless.Im glad that some people still move forward asking their questions regardless if a topic even remotely similar has been discussed once upon a time long ago.... If they didnt, forums would be void of any activity

T1 - Good choice for a noob j/k I too just ordered a similar bike, the 2010 Moto Fantom 29Pro. So far I couldnt be more pleased with the service from bd. Order was placed Thurs or Friday and scheduled to arrive monday!!!

Their frames are getting good reviews and I have yet to hear of one falling apart. I figure If I need to replace the frame in a year or two its WELL worth the price paid to do a swap. I was also torn between the gravity point3 or the one I got so please let me know what you think of yours!

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by **T1**
    This thread is good. I checked http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=697603 and it is useless. Ordering my BD tonight. Will post pics when assembled. Thanks All!
    Shocking

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I took mine out for some light trail riding yesterday for about 2 hours. The handling on dirt, gravel...etc, was awesome. The braking was perfect during sharp turns. The 29.3 performed well and is like a freaking rocket down hill. I'll be hitting some more challenging trails over the next week, but so far I'm extremely pleased.

gravity fighter
    The one asking about it has three posts, the one raving about it has four posts.

Hmmmmm...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito
    The one asking about it has three posts, the one raving about it has four posts.

Hmmmmm...

I've been a member for a year, and simply because I choose not to spam just to get my post count higher is my choice. I haven't had a need to post anyways until this thread and I did because it pertained to me and a bike that I just happened to have bought.

So unlike you, I have a legit reason for posting in this thread.. perhaps you should go troll else where.

Is it Friday yet?
    Yay! A real owner with a real picture. Good for you. Enjoy your bike!

mtbr member
    I hope they make the frames available for sale.

I am the Tin Man!
    Nothing like bikers helping bikers. I feel like I am back in Jr High, lets make the guys with the mail order bikes stand against the wall and we can throw kickballs at them, then give them a wedgie.
    Somebody comes here for help and gets mocked, relentlessy. Grow out of it, more people biking is a good thing, dont be threatened by it.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    New bike will always be good as the owner is excited about it and it rides differently compared to the old bike. After the excitement fades(may be about a year?), come back for a second review. If everything is still good, then I say it is a good bike.

If it was me doing this, I will buy the bike with plans to upgrade to a better frame down the road, then this whole thing is worth it. Otherwise, save the money for few more months and get something better.

As an analogy, there is a reason why the Safeway/Von/Lucky/ brand cereal is cheaper than the real cereal at the super market, coz it just simply doesn't taste the same in the long run.

Same goes for bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber
    Nothing like bikers helping bikers. I feel like I am back in Jr High, lets make the guys with the mail order bikes stand against the wall and we can throw kickballs at them, then give them a wedgie.
    Somebody comes here for help and gets mocked, relentlessy. Grow out of it, more people biking is a good thing, dont be threatened by it.
    The mockery comes from individuals with priorities that are out of whack. Self-righteous, overinflated egos. It's like the annoying hemorrhoid which doesn't seem to go away.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtx77
    I hope they make the frames available for sale.

Bikeisland has the Point3, Point4, and Point5 framesets on sale now
    and they seem to be selling very well

http://www.bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BK...0Framesets-ATB

thanks

mtbr member
    Couldn't resist, ordered one tonight. With BD's Cyber Monday sale, the Gravity 29Point3 is $649

mtbr member
    Update: over a year later now and still very happy with my Gravity 29point3 -- really like the way the bike feels on the trail. Still running mine essentially stock (Diamondback Sound pedals, bottle cages, and ODI Rogue grips are only changes).

gravity fighter
    I forgot about the douchie comment I left on this thread. I must have been having a bad day. Glad your bike is working out

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    Update: over a year later now and still very happy with my Gravity 29point3 -- really like the way the bike feels on the trail. Still running mine essentially stock (Diamondback Sound pedals, bottle cages, and ODI Rogue grips are only changes).
    Hi, Just ordered my Gravity 29.3 today. The only complaints I have read so far is the reliability of the Avid Juicy3 hydraulic brakes. How have those been holding up for you so far?

mtbr member
    Mine came with Elixir 1 brakes. I don't think the modulation is that great, but they certainly have plenty of stopping power -- so, I'll probably put up with them until it comes time to replace them.

Members who have read this thread: 0