non G2 fork on a Gary Fisher Superfly frame.- Mtbr.com
    Rice.

non G2 fork on a Gary Fisher Superfly frame.

Has anyone tried using a fork without the G2 offset (like a rockshox reba) on a Superfly frame? I'm going to build up a superfly frame but I don't have a G2 offset fork.

mtbr member
    According to the team mechanic, many of the team members ride G2 with a standard 46mm offest Reba and love it.

It'll be a touch more stable handling. It'll ride like a bike.

Rice.
    Thanks!

Rice.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would make sure it is a newer Reba with 46 mm offset and not the older (38mm I think) offset. I think the switch started with the 09 models, but maybe 08? Obviously you could run the older offset, but I don't think it would handle very well.
    Last edited by Fishlips; 02-03-2010 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Here is a pic of JHK's bike. It's a standard offset not the G2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails non G2 fork on a Gary Fisher Superfly frame.-jhk.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i have been riding a Fox RLC 100mm non-G2 fork on my superfly for the past month. The reason i am not riding a G2 fork is because i got such a great deal on my RLC. so i figured i would try it out and see how the bike handled. if things sucked i would just buy a G2 fork.

ignorance is bliss. i had never ridden a G2 bike before so i couldnt honestly tell you how it handled for better or worse. i can tell you that i think the non-G2 fork is treating me great. the tracking is very good and i feel stable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Somebody should get Mattomoto's feedback on this.....unless it is team secret

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    According to the team mechanic, many of the team members ride G2 with a standard 46mm offest Reba and love it.

It'll be a touch more stable handling. It'll ride like a bike.

I agree. Have a Paragon MY 2009 and I switch the Fox with a 46mm Reba and me too I feel the bike MORE stable. Where you put the front wheel it stay. G2 changed direction always and very fast at the minimum imput of handlebar, and is very difficult to keep a straight line.
    I don' t like the G2 51mm fork offset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crackednipples
    Somebody should get Mattomoto's feedback on this.....unless it is team secret
    He's the team mechanic I was referring to...he's mentioned on this board a few times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It the reason for the G2 offset basically so there is no toe overlap on the smaller frames? If not, what are the benefits? I'm new to this so hopefully this is not a dumb question. Thanks

mtbr member
    G2 offset allows a bike to keep relatively the same trail figure with a slacker headangle. One of the benefits of that is less toe overlap on smaller frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OJack
    It the reason for the G2 offset basically so there is no toe overlap on the smaller frames? If not, what are the benefits? I'm new to this so hopefully this is not a dumb question. Thanks
    I think the overall intent of the G2 geometry was to quicken the steering to a more 26er like feel. 29ers were often bagged on due to their slower steering/sluggishness. GF slackened the head tube angle and added more offset in the fork. The result was moving the front wheel further forward and creating quicker steering and a more nimble feel. This also had the advantage of providing more toe clearance for smaller frames, which was also probably a goal of the change.

As you can see, G2 geometry is not universally loved and some have felt that adding less offset has made the bike handle better.

mtbr member
    Hi every body!
    My new frame arrived yesterday with a reba fork (2010) but in 100mm. What is the better thing to do with this geometry, shorten the fork to 80mm or let it like it is? How do the GF team ride?
    Thanks for your answers
    Ps: you must know that my ride is xc racing and i never ride a 29er.

Rice.
    Ride it at 100mm for a while and if you don't like it, shorten it to 80mm.

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by adman_1
    Here is a pic of JHK's bike. It's a standard offset not the G2

Dam, that bike is dirty- someone should wash it...

Yes, we use only stock (46mm Reba's) on the team. Seems to be the prefered set-up as they all tried both 51 and 46.

Some like running 90mm on the hardtails/110mm on the 100's so, G1.5?

Matto

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by gambas
    Hi every body!
    My new frame arrived yesterday with a reba fork (2010) but in 100mm. What is the better thing to do with this geometry, shorten the fork to 80mm or let it like it is? How do the GF team ride?
    Thanks for your answers
    100 might be a bit much for ya if you are strictly XC, but I have tried it on certain courses as has Sam and JHK (Mt Snow comes to mind). If the course has a lot of drops/rough descending, they are apt to run 90-100. JHK is usually at 80 most of the time where as Sam is sticking mainly to 90mm. I myself like 90mm for everything.

It is really a personal preference. See whatcha think.

Matto

mtbr member
    Yes, but i can't shorten the fork by myself, i must go to my lbs and pay for it, so it's for that that i ask for your opinion and because i have no idea about how should ride a 29er

Rice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto
    100 might be a bit much for ya if you are strictly XC, but I have tried it on certain courses as has Sam and JHK (Mt Snow comes to mind). If the course has a lot of drops/rough descending, they are apt to run 90-100. JHK is usually at 80 most of the time where as Sam is sticking mainly to 90mm. I myself like 90mm for everything.

It is really a personal preference. See whatcha think.

Matto
    Is it possible to get a 90mm spacer for the reba if you're not on the subaru/gary fisher team?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambas
    Hi every body!
    Thanks for your answers
    If the bike frame was designed for 100mm leave it at that. If you go to 80, it will steepen the head angle and change the handling.

mtbr member

Will Reba 29 SL fork play nice with 2010 Paragon?

Just broke my 2007 Paragon at the seat-tube :-( My first 29er, so I loved that bike.

Good news has been LBS helpful, and Trek are coming through with a 2010 Paragon frame under warranty. The plan is to swap fork (and other bits) over to the newer frame, so I'm just hoping for some reassurance from that my old G1 fork will play nice with the G2 Paragon?

My current fork is a Reba 29SL @100mm travel, and from memory it had 46mm offset (I think), but I'll want to measure it to be sure though. Headset-wise, I expect the swap will be a doddle. But I'm fairly ignorant about geo, so don't know quite what to expect with the handling. On the old bike, my Reba felt very predictable at speed (which I liked a lot), while negotiating slow, tight switchbacks was always challenging due to my lack of skillz (however I'm working on those). So any thoughts how my old Reba is likely to perform in a new frame?
    Brisbane, AU

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hootsmon
    Just broke my 2007 Paragon at the seat-tube :-( My first 29er, so I loved that bike.

Good news has been LBS helpful, and Trek are coming through with a 2010 Paragon frame under warranty. The plan is to swap fork (and other bits) over to the newer frame, so I'm just hoping for some reassurance from that my old G1 fork will play nice with the G2 Paragon?

My current fork is a Reba 29SL @100mm travel, and from memory it had 46mm offset (I think), but I'll want to measure it to be sure though. Headset-wise, I expect the swap will be a doddle. But I'm fairly ignorant about geo, so don't know quite what to expect with the handling. On the old bike, my Reba felt very predictable at speed (which I liked a lot), while negotiating slow, tight switchbacks was always challenging due to my lack of skillz (however I'm working on those). So any thoughts how my old Reba is likely to perform in a new frame?
    Just like the old bike handled most likely.

mtbr member

Smile

Exactly what I wanted to hear
    Thanks
    Brisbane, AU

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

works great

I have a 09 Superfly with a 2010 Reba. Works Great, very quick handling but plenty stable on the fast downhills. Very happy with it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Remember the switch from G1 to G2 was mainly fork offset.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Will Reba 29 SL fork play nice with 2010 Paragon?

The G1 fork uses a 38mm offset. You are now getting a frame designed around a 51mm offset fork. I have a G1 frame also and purchased a 'new' Reba with a 46mm offset and Love It.. I also have a medium frame and now have no toe overlap (which I did when I had a 2007 Reba with a 38mm offset).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

G2 26er Fork question

I'm running a 2009 Fisher Piranha 26er with the G2 geometry. Will running a standard 46mm offset fork effect the handling that much versus the G2 Specific forks. The majority of these posts are geared around the 29er's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadefatsax
    The majority of these posts are geared around the 29er's.
    Interesting fact there....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My bad new to the forums here. I started a thread under the Fisher section.

Rice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadefatsax
    I'm running a 2009 Fisher Piranha 26er with the G2 geometry. Will running a standard 46mm offset fork effect the handling that much versus the G2 Specific forks. The majority of these posts are geared around the 29er's.
    On their G2 26" bikes, their forks are 46mm offset already. I believe that G2 fork offset applies to 29ers only pretty much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just got off the phone with SRAM/Rockshox.....The stock fork is custom for G2 frame and is 46mm offset. Standard after-market 26in Reba's and Sid's are 40mm offset. I'm wondering if that 6mm difference will cause a noticeable handling difference.

mtbr member
    I saw a lot of rigid carbon forks racing elite level or so with their superfly. I'm wondering how the bike rides. I'm thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Do a Google search on "mechanical trail" to learn more about fork offset and it's effect on bike handling. A G2 fork is a fork with increased offset. It has the same basic effect on a bike regardless of wheel size.

As "trail" increases a bike's front wheel becomes more self-centering. Reducing the fork offset and/or slackening the head tube angle will increase "trail." There's no "correct" amount of trail - people like what they like, and each is better suited for different conditions.

Here's a good graphic:
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Bicycle_and_m...cle_geometry#5.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Do a Google search on "mechanical trail" to learn more about fork offset and it's effect on bike handling. A G2 fork is a fork with increased offset. It has the same basic effect on a bike regardless of wheel size.

As "trail" increases a bike's front wheel becomes more self-centering. Reducing the fork offset and/or slackening the head tube angle will increase "trail." There's no "correct" amount of trail - people like what they like, and each is better suited for different conditions.

Here's a good graphic:
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Bicycle_and_m...cle_geometry#5.

Thanks for this information really helpful i'm pretty sure 7mm offset difference is not going to be noticeable with my riding ability. I'm just looking to lighten my XC bike up and I can't justify paying Fox $610 for a G2 specific fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0