Noisy belt drive....- Mtbr.com
    Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator

Noisy belt drive....

So I totally screwed with 2XPnues Milk Money thread,

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=587768

Thus, I figured I'd start this one, gotta let a guy have his own bike love, you know? Sorry for the hijack sir.

So I've retensioned my belt, and took it out for the first ride in a while, the snow and lack of studs had prevented that, so I studded it up, and head out last night.

Interestingly? I couldn't get the skipping (hallifrigginlujah!), so I think I've nailed that bit. But, like all mysterious situations, closing one door, opens another.

It now makes this horrid brapping, scrubby, scrunchy noise under any decent load, sounds like I'm shredding the belt to be quite honest. I got off and checked throughout the ride though? No fuzz, no apparent damage, no obvious noise making contact points, nothing.

I should add, we had about 3 to 5 inches of fresh champagne like fluff, and it was 12F, chilly!

The noise, by evenings end, seemed to take on a cyclical nature, if I spun smoothly on a fairly thinly covered area for a while, it'd be quiet, even with load applied. As soon as I got back into any fluff, and got some on the drivetrain, it was back with abandon. So I'll safely say it's the cold/snow combination for now.

What I'm curious about it, anyone else get noisy belts in cold/snow? Think boots or tires scrunching on a super cold ride on fresh snow? Or is this some kind of bedding in timeframe, now that the belt is so tight it can't get away from itself, and it'll decrease over time?

Thanks all!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Never trust a fart
    I don't have a belt drive personally, but the LBS I work at sold a couple. Here is my take on it.

The belt is just like an automotive timing belt. Same part numbers. You can head down to your local NAPA and pick up a new one.

Tension is key. Just like in an automotive application, tension needs to be spot on. Too loose, you get squeaky, squeaky and belt flapping noises. Too tight, and it will be noisy also. These types of belts very rarely stretch.

But going by what you have described, my deduction is with yours. Its due to the snow/cold combo. If you get some snow on the belt, its possibly causing the noise.

mtbr member
    Is there a possibility that the belt starts rubbing on the flanges under load?

Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Is there a possibility that the belt starts rubbing on the flanges under load?
    Anythings possible, but I doubt it's the cause. Stiff wheel, stiff frame, and loads like what you'd see on a seated climb, out of the saddle just sounded louder. Can't see the combo flexing significantly under that, you know?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my Trek District. As this is new technology (for bicycles anyway) neither the shop or Trek had a quick answer. So with an identical District sitting next to mine that didn't make that noise, the shop systematically replaced each component of the drive train until the problem was gone. It tuns out that it was a belt issue, when my belt was on the new bike it made the same sound and when the new belt was on my bike, with my drive train the belt ran silent. So there you have it, a new belt worked for me, your results may vary.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin

...when my belt was on the new bike it made the same sound and when the new belt was on my bike, with my drive train the belt ran silent.
    So how old was your belt when the problem began, and have you accumulated that same number of miles on the new one?
    speedub.nate
    ∑ MTBR Hiatus UFN ∑

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    So how old was your belt when the problem began, and have you accumulated that same number of miles on the new one?
    If I remember correctly it was within the first week and the first 10 miles I started riding it. Although I had the bike for about a month (see my avatar) before I could start riding it. It's been about 10 months and about 200 miles since the fix and the belt has been trouble free and silent ever since.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The belt is just like an automotive timing belt. Same part numbers. You can head down to your local NAPA and pick up a new one.
    I did not know that. Any concern over belt strength just went out the window.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    So I totally screwed with 2XPnues Milk Money thread,

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=587768

Thus, I figured I'd start this one, gotta let a guy have his own bike love, you know? Sorry for the hijack sir.
    No problem, we're all in this meaningless mess together, and will soon be dead.

I just took mine out for another few hours, temps were ~20-25F and there was a bit of noise under load the first half of the ride, turns out the belt had loosened (~1" deflection vice ~1/2"), I tightened it and the noise pretty much went away. Never skipped though, even when it was loose.

Anyway, I noticed that a coating on the belt teeth seemed to be flaking off (photos attached) so I checked the CD site and got the following in the FAQ:

"Iíve noticed the blue layer on my belt has started to wear off, making my sprocket grooves blue, does this mean I need to replace my belt?

No, the blue layer wear is a normal part of belt break-in. Depending on the environment you ride in, it may be more or less noticeable."

In your case, there's the remote possibility that your breaking-in belt flakes are frozen and making a noise.

Hey, I did say remote.

frdfandc: Are you sure you can get these belts at your local NAPA?? If so, maybe they have a wider range of lengths.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noisy belt drive....-img_0036.jpg  

Noisy belt drive....-img_0045.jpg  

Bedwards Of The West
    I turn blue when I'm trying to break myself in also. Can't fault the belt for this one.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

PNW
    mtbr member
    Alignment is just as crucial as tension

Let's ride
    I mentioned in the other thread that my belt makes noise when it gets damp/wet. Nothing I can do about it. Goes away when it finally dries, often days or weeks later.

Never trust a fart
    Yeah, NAPA or any auto store should have a nice wide range of belt sizes. I know on the GT Streamlines that we sell have a Gates belt on it with their item number printed on them. As long as you have some type of part number that can be referenced, a match can be made.

Most belts will have some type of number on them. Usually it will be length, width and probably a TPI (tooth per inch) or something like that that dictates the size/number of the cog teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    I mentioned in the other thread that my belt makes noise when it gets damp/wet. Nothing I can do about it. Goes away when it finally dries, often days or weeks later.
    Ever ride yours in decent cold and fluffy snow though (sorry, don't know if you live in AZ or AK)? It was silent this AM, so I'm chalking it up to the snow, and that's kinda where I'm at now, anyone else hear this in similar conditions?

This wasn't squeak, it was more like a mechanical, amplified version of the noise your shoes or car tire (or bike) make on really cold dry snow, scrunch scrunch. Only, it's my bike, and WTF(???), it shouldn't be doing that

Thanks to all who took the time to add their bit, it's appreciated.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0