No Tubes'D a Schwalbe furious fred??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

No Tubes'D a Schwalbe furious fred??

Has Anyone no tubes'd a schwalbe furious fred tire. Being So light I wonder if the casing would seal up or not. The tire interests me, Im currently running a Stans Crow in the back with zero issues on a ZTR 355 rim, very fast tire and plenty of traction for Midwest racing. But Im always looking to try new things.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I'm willing to bet that would be a helluva procedure.

The Crow is designed to be tubeless. The FF isn't, and my guess is that it'll be hella porous. You might be able to get it sealed...eventually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yep, I've run Furious Fred tubeless before with no worries. Using 355s with yellow tape and a bit of jizz, they sealed up just fine. As the casing is so light I found I still required around 30psi to stop the tyre folding under load, so traction wasn't fantastic. For a WW tyre they're fine, but the difference between a Crow and a FF on the trail is massive, and well worth the extra weight IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I set them up tubeless as well with no issues (not even any leaking pinholes in the tire). Tire weight has no correlation to whether they are easy to setup tubeless. The determining factor is how tight the beads are. Geax are hard to setup (I had to tube them first) and they weigh more (Barro Race 29). The Furious roll fast and are super light but I didn't find them to be an advantage offroad (in fact I was a little slower since you can't push really hard in technical terrain).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Kinda what i thought

i just love the Crow for midwest racing, the tire has an amazing amount of traction and rolls very fast, and for a 29er tire is very light. The furious fred looks nice and it's light, but If i have to ride with kid gloves it's not really worth it. I learned a long time ago that weight is only a small part of the equation and lighter is not always faster, I quess I should stick with my instincts

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    I set them up tubeless as well with no issues (not even any leaking pinholes in the tire). Tire weight has no correlation to whether they are easy to setup tubeless. The determining factor is how tight the beads are. Geax are hard to setup (I had to tube them first) and they weigh more (Barro Race 29). The Furious roll fast and are super light but I didn't find them to be an advantage offroad (in fact I was a little slower since you can't push really hard in technical terrain).
    Because the bead was so tight, or because it was loose?

Superflying on Haven
    The Furious roll fast and are super light but I didn't find them to be an advantage offroad (in fact I was a little slower since you can't push really hard in technical terrain).
    I set them tubeless too. Absolutely no problem. Amazingly light but as MessagefromTate said, they are so freakin thin that I got nervous every time I rode over rocks and I was less agressive = slower. Now I ride them with tubes for peace of mind.

However for hardpack, gravel and grass, tubeless FF would be a good idea. I use my 29er for the Cyclocross season and I think that riding them tubeless will be good advantage over smaller usual cyclocross tires. But I would avoid XC racing.

Members who have read this thread: 0