No comparisons of Scott Spark and other trail bikes (Trail 429, Riply, etc)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

No comparisons of Scott Spark and other trail bikes (Trail 429, Riply, etc)?

Why donít we see the Scott Spark (29er with 120mm travel) included in all the trail bike comparisons? Travel seems the same, geometry doesnít seem overly XC.

thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmossbarger View Post
    Why donít we see the Scott Spark (29er with 120mm travel) included in all the trail bike comparisons? Travel seems the same, geometry doesnít seem overly XC.

thoughts?

Great idea and perfect reason to start a new thread!

Personally havenít ridden the Spark but would love to hear feed back on this bike vs Ripley and similar XC/trail versions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, based on the high traffic on this thread, I guess no one has ridden both! Lol.

mtbr member
    Not a fan of the Spark. I've ridden it in both 27.5+ and 29. I thought it felt more XC than the numbers suggest and the suspension design was dependent on the lockouts for pedaling efficiency.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    I have a Spark from 2016. Really enjoyed it and only stopped riding it last month after buying a new bike. Really light for an aluminum bike, too. I grew dependent on the twin loc, but only because it is convenient when you get used to it. The bike still climbs better in open mode than a locked out enduro bike.

mtbr member
    I rode the Spark 29er against a bunch of other 120ish 29er bikes a few months ago, and posted some thoughts here (although I never rode a Ripley or 429): https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/d...e-1092165.html

I really liked it. The Spark and the Intense Sniper Trail were top of my short list.

I disagree with the comment above that it's dependent on the lock-out for pedalling efficiency. In 120mm mode it felt just as efficient as the other 120mm bikes I rode, and in 90mm mode it was noticeably more efficient than most. Definitely wasn't as XC-feeling as the Spec Epic Evo, but more so than the Trance 29er.

All of that said, in the end I bought a Ripmo because fun.