Niner vs Gary Fisher 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Niner vs Gary Fisher 29

I am in the beginning process of evaluating new mountain bikes. I am planning on purchasing one within the next month or two. I just signed out the Niner M.C.R. 9 demo bike from my local bike shop. I have taken it out once so far and I really like it. I have 3 more scheduled rides before I return it.

During my search for a new ride, I have also come across the Gary Fisher Paragon. Unfortunately, I am unable to demo this bike, but the sale price is better than the Niner. Can someone tell me if there is a significant difference between the 2? Advantages / Disadvantages.

I will also be trying out the Trek Fuel EX8 full suspension demo bike, but so far I like the 29's.

mtbr member
    For one, the MCR is steel and the GF is aluminum.
    Without paying any heed to the the geometry, this fact by itself will make a significant difference in your ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Which is better, steel or aluminum frame.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by jstevens
    Subjective, there is no "flat out this is better"

You'd really need to ride both to see, but with bikes of very different geometry it may be difficult to isolate frame-material-affected behavior.

Steel builds tend to be more forgiving than aluminum, not suspension-like but still notably not as harsh as alu bikes.

Steel may be more susceptible to corrosion, using something like Frame Saver seems advised if you live/ride in wet climates.

I think that the 853 steel frames are not notably heavier than the aluminum frames, certainly not as much of a whole-bike-weight factor as for-example tire/rim choice. Cheaper chromoly steel are usually heavier though.

For my 2c, I'd prefer a steel over alu for rigid or hardtail designs.

Super Moderator SuperModerator

Moot point, it all depends on what grade each material is and what the rider wants to do with it.

As for the GF: Geometry is very different to the Niner and the bike does ride differently. Again which is better is a moot point. Some riders swear by G2 Fishers, some swear by Niner geometry.

You've got to test ride both to appreciate the difference.

If you have a Trek dealer they will be able to get the Fisher 29er's. My LBS has 6 skids of 2011 Trek/Fisher stuff coming in today.

My 2c, I prefer Scandium (aluminum) over steel, I want a stiff, light race bike and the Scandium Niner works perfectly for me...

mtbr member

There is so much written and discussed on the issue, I suggest you search on MTBR and google. There's tons of information.

I will just say that, in general, aluminum is stiffer and lighter, but offers a harsh ride. For a racer, especially in a short race, aluminum is probably more suitable. For everything else, steel is more desirable.

I personally would never consider Al and go with steel. BTW, Niner's steel is of very high quality.

Members who have read this thread: 0