Niner one 9 - best ever!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Niner one 9 - best ever!

    So far, the one 9 beats the SIR 9. I did not know how much the SIR was flexing until the I rode the One 9. If I had to only have one bike, the one 9 is it....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sit and spin my ass...

  2. #2
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296
    agreed. one9 is better than sir9. I don't care for flex either.

    Did you make that second pic? It looks like you might be going for a cheater line on the left.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    agreed. one9 is better than sir9. I don't care for flex either.

    Did you make that second pic? It looks like you might be going for a cheater line on the left.
    Yep, took the easy line on that one to pose for the pic trying to go slow.... The line to the right is the line, and I have never "not" made it there....
    Sit and spin my ass...

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    I think you'd like the scandium AIR 9 if you were to go back to geared.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Air 9 will be

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I think you'd like the scandium AIR 9 if you were to go back to geared.
    I will sell my Turner Flux and my specialized marathon 29er ht to make enough cash to get an air 9 frame and a Fox F29. Need about $1500. Everything else I got...
    CK hubs, stans Arch, CK headset, Sram XO, XT crankset and cassette, Thomson stem, etc. etc.
    Sit and spin my ass...

  6. #6
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    never rode a SIR 9 but yeah, the One 9 rides great for sure

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Air 9

    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    never rode a SIR 9 but yeah, the One 9 rides great for sure
    Fo, I know you hated the ebb and like the paragon drops. Have you thought of an air 9 with a rennen or yess tensioner???
    Sit and spin my ass...

  8. #8
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Fo, I know you hated the ebb and like the paragon drops. Have you thought of an air 9 with a rennen or yess tensioner???
    would be fine I suppose though i do prefer SS to be SS specific frames where possible. There are so many good SS frames available I personally would opt for a SS specific frame for sure

  9. #9
    Jacob 34:19
    Reputation: JAKEtheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    505
    How would you compare the two EBB designs with regards to set-up and maintenance? Ever since I built up an AIR9, I've been contemplating swapping out my SIR9 for a newer One9. Is the new EBB design on the One9 better? Worse? About the same?

    It would appear the geometry tweaks are fairly minor between the original SIR9 and the current AIR9 / One9 but to me, there's a world of difference in how the two bikes handle. My AIR9 feels way more balanced and responsive. I'd love to have the feeling on my singlespeed.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1-bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,505
    The Sir9 is a great bike for longer rides and more comfort. The Sir9 was my first 29er and wheni switched to a GF rig I had similiar feelings as you did. Fast fwd several bikes later I can really appreciate the flex/comfort of the Sir9. Change is good but not always better.
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    New bio-centric EBB is better

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEtheDOG
    How would you compare the two EBB designs with regards to set-up and maintenance? Ever since I built up an AIR9, I've been contemplating swapping out my SIR9 for a newer One9. Is the new EBB design on the One9 better? Worse? About the same?

    It would appear the geometry tweaks are fairly minor between the original SIR9 and the current AIR9 / One9 but to me, there's a world of difference in how the two bikes handle. My AIR9 feels way more balanced and responsive. I'd love to have the feeling on my singlespeed.
    It takes more mechanical aptitude to set the biocentric right. The old Niner EBB works well with Squre tapers and regular BB's. The new one works best with outboard bearing crancksets. The double set crew set up eating on aluminum was just a mediocre design.

    The Teflon tape trick works good to quiet the old ebb, but not on the new one. The reason is that the new flange design uses the sides as contact to prevent movement. Teflon tape on that area will decrease the coefficient of friction and the EBB will slip but quiet.

    As others have said. The new EBB is the savior. Permatex Anti seize is the only way to make it work perfectly. and 160 in-lb torque. So far i have ridden the most technical trails in the DFW and the Niner 0ne 9 ate them up. No slips, no creaks with permatex. Chain stretch - yes

    The bike is super comfortable and it is amazing the combination of stiffnes and comfort.

    The new one 9 is a more balanced bike to your point, so Air 9 will be on the way shortly...

    I wish Steve would design an EBB shell with grooves like a hub or a single bolt seatpost that would give you lot of adjustments for chain tensioning but once tighten it will lock in place. Or maybe like a CK ringdrive
    Sit and spin my ass...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Not the same

    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    The Sir9 is a great bike for longer rides and more comfort. The Sir9 was my first 29er and wheni switched to a GF rig I had similiar feelings as you did. Fast fwd several bikes later I can really appreciate the flex/comfort of the Sir9. Change is good but not always better.
    I would take a SIR over a rig any day! I would take a One 9 over a SIR any day unless I am going 24hr solo (Air 9). Anything else, One 9.
    Sit and spin my ass...

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    I will sell my Turner Flux and my specialized marathon 29er ht to make enough cash to get an air 9 frame and a Fox F29. Need about $1500. Everything else I got...
    CK hubs, stans Arch, CK headset, Sram XO, XT crankset and cassette, Thomson stem, etc. etc.
    The first real ride on mine was last Thursday, a 35 mile ride. I'm digging it a lot, scandium does not ride like aluminum, nor does it flex like steel. Have to say the XL I got, for a hardtail, rides surprisingly smooth on most stuff I ride, compared to my RIP.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RiderInTraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    347
    I had a SIR for some time, liked it, but wanted something lighter. Switched to an EMD and after riding it geared for some time it became my rigid single speed. It was my favorite bike for the last year, so I figured it's time to get a dedicated single speed frame.
    Bought a One 9 with Niner's carbon fork. It is quite a bit smoother than the EMD and handles fantastic. It is light, fast, and just pure fun. If I had to choose just one bike, this would probably be it.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    60
    Guys, i need some input on this topic. I am 6 feet and 215. I am going to use my niner discount frame to try the SS thing. I had a sir 9 and loved the ride. Never tried it as a Single Speed though. Frame was too small. I also have a air 9 that i like also. I am torn between getting a sir to try SS as I can always convert it back to gears, or to get the One 9. I have talked to some friends that love their one 9's over their IF steel 29er's. With my weight would I be better to go with the stiffer one 9 over the steel? Any input would help.

    thanks

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    349
    moto, you have/had a sir and an air so you've ridden both pretty much, one 9 is going to feel like an air 9 but with only one gear. Seems like you'd be the best to know....

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.