Niner MCR frame size recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Niner MCR frame size recommendations

I'm going to purchase a Niner MCR and would like to get some recommendations as to which frame size I should buy. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I currently ride a Titus X size medium (and all of the 26" bikes I've owned have been medium). The Titus top tube is 23.38" and the standover height on the Titus is 29.76" and the bike fits nicely.

The Niner website recommends I purchase a small based on my height, but the geometry numbers indicate to me that this would be too small. Unfortunately, there isn't a Niner dealer in the area that has bikes to try before I buy, so I'll have to purchase over the internet. The numbers for the small are top tube = 15.5" and standover = 28.2". The numbers for the medium are top tube = 23.75" and standover = 29".

Are there any Niner MCR riders out there who can recommend the small or medium? I really don't want to purchase a frame that's too small or too big.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I had a Niner for a season. I am your same build, but have long-ish arms. I rode a medium and it felt fine to me.

Coming from a 26er, the Niner will ride a bit more upright so a tid bit more of cockpit probably isn't terrible. Shorter stem may help off set that a little to.

jrm
    mtbr member

Medium

Quote Originally Posted by gearjunkie88
    I'm going to purchase a Niner MCR and would like to get some recommendations as to which frame size I should buy. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I currently ride a Titus X size medium (and all of the 26" bikes I've owned have been medium). The Titus top tube is 23.38" and the standover height on the Titus is 29.76" and the bike fits nicely.

The Niner website recommends I purchase a small based on my height, but the geometry numbers indicate to me that this would be too small. Unfortunately, there isn't a Niner dealer in the area that has bikes to try before I buy, so I'll have to purchase over the internet. The numbers for the small are top tube = 15.5" and standover = 28.2". The numbers for the medium are top tube = 23.75" and standover = 29".

Are there any Niner MCR riders out there who can recommend the small or medium? I really don't want to purchase a frame that's too small or too big.

Thanks!
    Im 5'8"s. throw a 90 or 80mm stem and a straight seat post on there and it'll be good to go.

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by gearjunkie88

Thanks!
    Ummm I think you're looking at the specs wrong...There's no way the top tube on the small MCR is 15.5 inches (unless it's a 29er BMX) lol

I believe it's 23.1 inches for the small MCR which isn't that much less than the med MCR at 23.75 inches...I don't know if you will be better off on a sm or med but I Just thought I'd point out the error incase that was the huge factor

mtbr member
    HEIGHT RECOMMENDATION

SMALL (IN/MM)
    5'3"-5'9"/ 1.6-1.75m

MEDIUM (IN/MM)
    5'8"-6'/ 1.73-1.83m

LARGE (IN/MM)
    5'11"-6'3"/ 1.8-1.91m

X-LARGE (IN/MM)
    6'3"-6'7"/ 1.91-2.01m

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for noticing the mistake. A 15.5" top tube... that would be something, huh???

Chilling out
    fwiw...

i'm 5'8" with a 32 inseam and the small was a tad small-ish but was a super comfortable ride for me with a straight post (thomson) and 100mm stem. great in technical riding too.

the medium maybe would have been a better long-ride xc fit for me, but i've done rides happily as long as 50 miles of trail on it.

COMBO - President
    I demo'd the MCR and already own a RIP and a JET. I am 5'7", the Niner small frame is the best fitting frame I have ever owned. I use a 100mm stem and a 350mm seatpost. 172.5 crank arms. Unless you were 5'9"+ I would go small frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been pondering the same thing when looking at frames... here is what I've come up with, tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't think a straight post would make any difference unless the seatpost angles are different. The only difference would be how much of the "seat tube" is made up of the frame and how much is the seatpost. You wouldn't be any farther behind the bottom bracket with a medium vs a small, you would just have more post sticking out on the small frame.

From the geo specs on most bikes, it looks like the rear triangle and seat tube angles stay the same the the variance being in ETT lengths and seat tube lengths. Soo.... if my thinking is correct, chose the size with the top tube, and standover measurement you want.

COMBO - President
    The rear triangles are the same regardless of frame size on the Niners.

mtbr member
    I ride a M MCR and I am a 6 footer. I like the fit and run a 100cm stem.

mtbr member
    I am 5' 7" tall with a 29 inch inseam and I ride a small MCR with a 110 stem. It rides perfectly.

Members who have read this thread: 0