Niner Carbon vs Steel fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Niner Carbon vs Steel fork

Anyone spent some time on both? Worth it to switch from Niner steel to carbon other than weight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    many opinions on the niner carbon fork on the boards already. divergent to say the least.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a carbon fork on an aluminum frame. Two rides and I took it apart, too stiff, no fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    many opinions on the niner carbon fork on the boards already. divergent to say the least.
    My search did not produce a thread directly comparing the Niner steel vs carbon forks. Maybe you can provide a link.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Having ridden several steel forks over the years, one ride on the Niner Carbon Fork and I was sold. I went Full Sus and quit riding rigid (26" CF frame w/ cro-mo fork) some years ago due to debilitating upper back and neck pain after longer rides, but I've had none of those problems on my Air9 w/ the Niner Carbon Fork.

6ft, 180'ish, Colorado XC riding, no racing, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I guess it depends on the terrain but in my opinion its not worth switching.
    Around here (rooty) racing with a rigid is just to rough above 11mph. what I mean by that its worth the added weight for control and lower fatigue that comes with a sus fork. Now if its going to be a fork for casual riding then why spend the added money for carbon? I bought a carbon Niner to switch out my steel Niner on my Sir9 but after a 16 mile trail run I decided to go back and cut my $ losses and sell it. The steel fork is great IMO.
    If you ride more fire roads, long hill climbs and weight is an issue then the Carbon fork could be a great addition and should be looked at.
    other then that people buy them because they look great, which I can't blame them to some extent.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I've got both, steel on the beater bike, carbon on the race bike, same frame in both instances.

IMO the carbon fork transmits noticeably less trail chatter back through the bars.

Get out of town!
    I guess I'm not discerning enough to really see a performance gain in riding a carbon rigid fork over a steel rigid fork. So I agree. I could see buying one for weight savings. My steel fork is kind of heavy. Maybe since the front end may end up lighter with a carbon fork it could affect handling (lighter front end to get up and over obstacles)? Not sure about that but I'm not buying that it improves the ride quality by a significant amount.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the niner carbon forrk threads may not directly compare the steel vs. carbon niner built forks- but if you want info on the carbon ride- these plenty of fodder. I hated mine. way too stiff even with a 2.4 on the technical rocky sections and i felt it big time. went right back to my rock solid. people have very different preferences but what I read is that most of the negatives on the niner carbon were around its ride quality. people were clearly divided on way too stiff vs. the light weight blingness. it had promise on my ride- just did not work and i knew it right away. if you buy the carbon- you can sell it quickly if you dont like it,. if you buy the steel fork and dont like it....maybe not so easy to sell.

buy both and let us know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    it had promise on my ride- just did not work and i knew it right away. if you buy the carbon- you can sell it quickly if you dont like it

Yep - its a low risk experiment you should run.

I don't personally have the Niner Carbon, but have ridden my friend's a bit (Niner Carbon on steel Soulcraft frame) and compared with my steel fork (Vassago ODIS). I personally don't feel like its worth the $300+ upgrade, but I felt like the Niner Carbon rode a tad better, whatever that means. I had one on backorder for awhile, but ended up cancelling in lieu of the much cheaper ODIS.

There are so many variables that it would be hard to get clear consensus on the board about this question.

So I come back to - buy it, don't cut off too much steerer, than run it on a few of your usual rides. You'll know pretty quick if you want to keep it. If not, I'm seeing the forks clear on ebay for very close to new prices.
    Last edited by bycyclist; 01-08-2011 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Most folks feel the carbon fork reduces trail chatter better. What about bigger hits such as a rough downhill?

mtbr member
    '' What about bigger hits such as a rough downhill?''

It's still a rigid fork. Big hits are going to be BIG HITS!
    60; it's the new 40!

Members who have read this thread: 1