Niner Air 9 Carbon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Niner Air 9 Carbon

I had a chance to test ride a Niner Air 9 carbon bike last night!!!!!!!!

The bike was set up as follows:
    Niner Carbon fork
    Easton Haven wheels set up tubeless with Geax Saguaro tires (the heavy TNT version)
    carbon seatpost and handlebars
    Avid XX brakes
    XTR cranks - SS 32x22 gear
    Time ATAC Alium pedals

The whole thing was just a hair over 18 pounds. Plenty of room to take off weight in the wheels/tires/pedals. Everything else is pretty light already.

Now for the ride:
    The bike flat out rockets uphill. Very stiff laterally. So stiff and light that it sometimes felt like the bike was skipping around beneath me. Since it was dark and cold out, I didn't want to mess with tire pressure. In the rough stuff it was a little harder for me to climb than compared to my Spot SS (Colorado made, ridgid carbon fork) but again, this could have been helped with different tire pressure. Also, I'm used to a 32x19 gear and the smaller gear left me wanting.

The steering was super fast - not twitchy or nervous, but fast. Think race fast. Duh.
    Combined with the light weight, I sometimes felt that the bike had a hard time holding lines but I think I would have gotten used to it over time.
    Overall the bike was very well balanced front/rear.

The bike felt very much like my 13 pound all-carbon road bike when I put my carbon tubies on. It's hard to describe in words the way stiff carbon transmits every surface irregularity but at the same time softens the impact. Did the bike feel stiff? YES
    Did the bike beat me up like an equally stiff aluminum bike? NO
    Did it feel springy like my Spot? NO
    Descending was easier than I thought it would be. The bike carved turns effortlessly. In fact, I oversteered several times because it was so quick. I'm sure I'd get used to it, though. The bike never once felt tippy or flexy! I also felt every rock in the trail, but my hands and arms never did get fatigued.

In summary: super fast, super stiff bike; more comfy than one would think; loves to go uphill! I would love to try the same bike with gears and a suspension fork, but I guess I'll have to wait for that...

By the way, I'm 5' 10" and 145 pounds. Yes, I can climb...
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We need pics!

D-C
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Pics would be good... and thanks for the review, I'm on a spot colorado built SS with a niner carbon fork, so good comparo! I also was thinking of getting the Niner frame late this year, so I was looking forward to some input.

mtbr member
    Sorry guys, no pics on account of I'm a tech retard and don't even own a camera...
    Is this where I write something witty?

i don't give a shift
    Thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to building one up.

Members who have read this thread: 0