Niner Air 9 Build- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20

    Niner Air 9 Build

    Any input on parts for my Niner? Let me know what you think should be different.
    Thanks.
    I'm 5ft 8inch 225 lbs

    Niner Air 9 Build:

    Parts List
    * BK9610 - DreamCycle Mountain XC Disc Bike Build
    * FM1132 - NINER Air 9 frame for DreamCycle
    * ST0920 - Problem Solvers 35.0mm Seatpost Clamp Silver
    * FK0463C - 2009 Fox F29 100RLC 100mm Fork Blk/Wht
    * CR6181 - Shimano SLX M660 175mm Crankset 22-32-44t with Bottom Brackets
    * RD4633 - SRAM 2010 X.9 Rear Long Cage Derailleur Silver
    * FD4606 - SRAM X.7 Front Dual-pull Front Derailleur, LoClamp 31.8/34.9 Black
    * FW6153 - SRAM PG-970 11-34 9-Speed Cassette
    * CH1083 - SRAM PC-971 9-Speed Silver/Gray Chain with Powerlink
    * BR2270 - Avid Elixir 5 Front Disc 160mm Rotor White with Silver Lever Blade
    * BR2271 - Avid Elixir 5 Rear Disc 160mm Rotor White with Silver Lever Blade
    * LD4600 - SRAM X.9 9-Speed Trigger Shifter Set
    * WE2918 - Handspun Front 700c Deore XT Disc M756 Black 32h, WTB LaserDisc Trail Black, 2.0-1.8db Black, Br, 3x
    * WE2919 - Handspun Rear 700c Deore XT Disc M756 Black 32h, WTB LaserDisc Trail Black, 2.0-1.8db Black, Br, 3x
    * HD2234 - Cane Creek S-1 1-1/8" Black Threadless Headset
    * ST7536 - Thomson 31.6 x 410mm Setback Black
    * HB3204 - Ritchey Comp 5degree Flat Bar 31.8mm 580mm Black
    * HT3211 - Ritchey TG6 Dual Density Grips Black/Gray
    * SM4822 - Ritchey Comp 31.8mm 110mm 84/96d Black Stem
    * SA1539 - WTB Speed V Comp Black Saddle Steel Rail
    * TR9382 - Continental Mountain King 29x 2.2" Black Folding
    * TR9382 - Continental Mountain King 29x 2.2" Black Folding
    * TU6896 - Q-Tubes 29" x 1.9-2.3" 32mm PV tube 220g
    * TU6896 - Q-Tubes 29" x 1.9-2.3" 32mm PV tube 220g

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    406
    Upgrade if you can afford: Cassette to pg980, tubes to some thats lighter and wheels to something lighter, stronger, stiffer, more durable and maybe tubeless to save the tubes. American Classic Disc 29 Tubeless is good value IMO.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bondseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    371
    Definitely consider better wheels, and tubeless tires. Check out the reviews on XT hubs, they blow.

  4. #4
    What It Be ?
    Reputation: ChrisJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    888
    Those wheels are pigs as in heavy. Tubeless for sure.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonw9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    748
    About 26 gears too many!

    I would definitely spend more on the wheels. The other stuff can be replaced at things break, wear, or you grow tired of.

  6. #6
    dying hurts.
    Reputation: johnny the boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    579
    i guess the xt hubs "blow" cause they don't say hope, king or dt dwiss on them.
    affordable, easy to maintain and perfectly reasonable.
    kudos to not wanting to spend $800 on something that's gonna be ridden hard through mud, dirt, water, grit and sand.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bondseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy
    i guess the xt hubs "blow" cause they don't say hope, king or dt dwiss on them.
    affordable, easy to maintain and perfectly reasonable.
    kudos to not wanting to spend $800 on something that's gonna be ridden hard through mud, dirt, water, grit and sand.
    Apart from frame, wheels are the most important part of a bike. The best way to improve on any ride is to buy strong, light wheels with low rotational mass.
    Honestly if you want I9, King, DT Swiss, or hope written on your hubs you'll probably need to spend more than 800 bucks. There are alternatives that can be had for 4-600 that will serve you well.
    XT blows because they aren't well sealed, have cheap innards, and sporadic (at best) engagement. Don't listen to me, read the endless negative reviews.

  8. #8
    dying hurts.
    Reputation: johnny the boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    579
    they aren't sealed at all.
    hence the ease of maintenance.
    my buddy has a set of 10yr old deore's that are still running strong.
    but i'm sure you're right.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bondseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy
    but i'm sure you're right.
    Then we agree

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy
    i guess the xt hubs "blow" cause they don't say hope, king or dt dwiss on them.
    affordable, easy to maintain and perfectly reasonable.
    kudos to not wanting to spend $800 on something that's gonna be ridden hard through mud, dirt, water, grit and sand.
    I disagree. They fail to engage in could weather and they flex alot.

  11. #11
    dying hurts.
    Reputation: johnny the boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    579
    have either of you guys used them?
    or just going of what you read on the internet?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    406
    Yes - I have.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bondseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy
    have either of you guys used them?
    or just going of what you read on the internet?
    Sadly yes, I have had the miss fortune of riding two different sets of XT hubs. I have one set wasting away in my backyard if you're interested. They suuuuuuuuck!

  14. #14
    dying hurts.
    Reputation: johnny the boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    579
    no thanks, bond.
    i have a set that i put under heavy use already.
    i quite enjoy them.
    used 'em on my 26 as well....performed so well i used em when i built up my 29er wheelset.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonw9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    748
    double post

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonw9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondseye
    Apart from frame, wheels are the most important part of a bike. The best way to improve on any ride is to buy strong, light wheels with low rotational mass.
    Honestly if you want I9, King, DT Swiss, or hope written on your hubs you'll probably need to spend more than 800 bucks. There are alternatives that can be had for 4-600 that will serve you well.
    XT blows because they aren't well sealed, have cheap innards, and sporadic (at best) engagement. Don't listen to me, read the endless negative reviews.
    ZTR Arch 29er Wheelset
    - Accessory Front Yellow Tape & Valve Installed (no charge)
    - Accessory Rear Yellow Tape & Valve Installed (no charge)
    - Front Pattern 3X
    - Front Wheel Hope Pro II Black
    - Nipples Front Silver Nipples
    - Nipples Rear Silver Nipples
    - Rear Pattern 3X
    - Rear Wheel Hope Pro II Blue
    - Spoke Front 2.0/1.7 Silver Double Butted (3X ONLY)
    - Spoke Rear 2.0/1.7 Silver Double Butted (3X ONLY)
    - Weight Over 220 lb
    -$695 and ready for tubeless.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    406
    Good for you Johnny. Have you ever owned a pair of Hope, CK or DT?

  18. #18
    dying hurts.
    Reputation: johnny the boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    579
    not owned, no.

  19. #19
    Virtus pre nummis
    Reputation: Blazerwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    367
    Posted this on your other thread as well!

    The Redline D660
    A race-ready 29’er with Redline’s high-end R6 double butted aluminum tubing, and a bump absorbing Rock Shox Reba fork. Our best 29’er comes with wide range SRAM 9 speed gearing and quick stopping Avid disc brakes. Whether you race, tour, or commute, the D660 is ready to take you there quickly, with very little effort.


    Frame R6 Alloy DB Forged Dropouts-Chainstay Yoke.135mm spacing
    Fork Rock Shox Reba SL 100 mm
    Headset Threadless 28.6mm
    Frt Der N/A (31.8mm)
    Rear Der SRAM X .9
    Shifter SRAM X .9
    Crank Truvative Stylo w Guard 34T
    BB Set ISIS alloy cups 68 x 108mm
    Cogs PG 950 12-32 9 sp
    Pedals N/A
    Rim WTB Laser Disc 32H
    Hub RL SB QR DISC
    Spoke 13/14 Stainless DB
    Tire Maxis Ignitor 29 X 2.1
    Bar Ritchey Riser Pro 31.8mm center
    Stem Ritchey Pro
    Saddle WTB Rocket V
    Seat Post Ritchey Pro 27.2 x 400mm
    Brake Avid BB 7 Disc
    Brake Lever Avid FR 5

    Total Cost is about $1300.00 or $1400.00
    Here is a thread about this bike on this forum
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=388343

    Just wanted to give you something to compare with!

  20. #20
    What It Be ?
    Reputation: ChrisJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    888
    Save your money and do it right the first time. I'm building up the same frame right now. I killed the bushings in my old Scalpel so I swapped most of my parts over.

    Frame- Air9 in Large
    Headset- King
    Fork- Used 06 Reba with rebuild have 250$ in it
    Cranks-XTR M960s off the scalpel
    Brakes- Juicy 7s off the scalpel
    Shifters- XO Grips off the scalpel
    Bars- Easton EC90 off the scalpel
    Stem- Thomson off the scalpel
    Seatpost- Thomson local MTB forum 30$
    Seat- WTB Speed V off the scalpel
    Hubs-Kings bough new from Universal Cycles
    Rims/Spokes- Stan's ZTR Arch/DT Comps LBS is building them
    Tires- Conti Mountain Kings 2.4
    Grips- Ergons off scalpel

    I spent some coin on the wheels and the frame. Last time I cheaped out on wheels I went back and spent more money to get the ones I originally wanted. Just my take on it. Air9 should be done next week. I will post pics.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonw9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    748
    ^^ OP wanted input on his Niner build, not advice on what other brand you think he should buy instead.

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    473
    That's a pretty nice build. I would agree with the others on the wheelset if you can afford more. I built a set of Hope Pro II hubs with Stans Arch rims and DT Swiss Super Comp spokes (using brass nipples instead of the alloy) and they came in around $700. Not super light like the 355 or Race rim but a solid wheel that's not a boat anchor. If money IS an issue, I'd swap the Fox for a Reba to save some money.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    473
    That's a pretty nice build. I would agree with the others on the wheelset if you can afford more. I built a set of Hope Pro II hubs with Stans Arch rims and DT Swiss Super Comp spokes (using brass nipples instead of the alloy) and they came in around $700. Not super light like the 355 or Race rim but a solid wheel that's not a boat anchor. If money IS an issue, I'd swap the Fox for a Reba to save some money.

    Yes the Redline D660 is a nice bike BUT it is not in the same league as the Air-9. Not being arrogant, just factual. I've ridden an Air-9 from my shop and the Geometry is spot on. Niner is known for what they do best...29'ers and they definitely have a cult following here in the NC area.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    107
    My question is what are you trying to accomplish??? No one asked that yet!?!? Save money? Save weight? Race ready? Reliable? Your parts pick has to reflect where you ride, how you ride, etc. More info is needed to make good suggestions!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by sandfish9903
    Any input on parts for my Niner? Let me know what you think should be different.
    Thanks.
    I'm 5ft 8inch 225 lbs

    Niner Air 9 Build:

    Parts List
    * BK9610 - DreamCycle Mountain XC Disc Bike Build
    * FM1132 - NINER Air 9 frame for DreamCycle
    * ST0920 - Problem Solvers 35.0mm Seatpost Clamp Silver
    * FK0463C - 2009 Fox F29 100RLC 100mm Fork Blk/Wht
    * CR6181 - Shimano SLX M660 175mm Crankset 22-32-44t with Bottom Brackets
    * RD4633 - SRAM 2010 X.9 Rear Long Cage Derailleur Silver
    * FD4606 - SRAM X.7 Front Dual-pull Front Derailleur, LoClamp 31.8/34.9 Black
    * FW6153 - SRAM PG-970 11-34 9-Speed Cassette
    * CH1083 - SRAM PC-971 9-Speed Silver/Gray Chain with Powerlink
    * BR2270 - Avid Elixir 5 Front Disc 160mm Rotor White with Silver Lever Blade
    * BR2271 - Avid Elixir 5 Rear Disc 160mm Rotor White with Silver Lever Blade
    * LD4600 - SRAM X.9 9-Speed Trigger Shifter Set
    * WE2918 - Handspun Front 700c Deore XT Disc M756 Black 32h, WTB LaserDisc Trail Black, 2.0-1.8db Black, Br, 3x
    * WE2919 - Handspun Rear 700c Deore XT Disc M756 Black 32h, WTB LaserDisc Trail Black, 2.0-1.8db Black, Br, 3x
    * HD2234 - Cane Creek S-1 1-1/8" Black Threadless Headset
    * ST7536 - Thomson 31.6 x 410mm Setback Black
    * HB3204 - Ritchey Comp 5degree Flat Bar 31.8mm 580mm Black
    * HT3211 - Ritchey TG6 Dual Density Grips Black/Gray
    * SM4822 - Ritchey Comp 31.8mm 110mm 84/96d Black Stem
    * SA1539 - WTB Speed V Comp Black Saddle Steel Rail
    * TR9382 - Continental Mountain King 29x 2.2" Black Folding
    * TR9382 - Continental Mountain King 29x 2.2" Black Folding
    * TU6896 - Q-Tubes 29" x 1.9-2.3" 32mm PV tube 220g
    * TU6896 - Q-Tubes 29" x 1.9-2.3" 32mm PV tube 220g
    If I were building the bike, I'd use the Reba instead of the Fox... Reba has the positive AND negative air pressure adjustments (Fox only has positive) and Reba is also cheaper. Save some weight on a lighter saddle. Choose wisely tho to get one that's still comfy! I really like the Specialized Phenom BG 143. Also the WTB's are good... I also have a Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow that's really light... but the Specialized is the most comfy. I hear tubeless is lighter, but a little more effort (fussy) to install than traditional tubes. XT hubs are relatively inexpensive, but definitely reliable and easily serviceable. XT's aren't the lightest hubs out there, but lighter rims, nipples, spokes and tires are more important to having fast wheels than lighter hubs. Save a couple bucks and get X-7 shifters instead of X-9's. They work just as good. Get a Sram #PG-990 (11-34T) cassette. (It has an alloy cog spider and is much lighter than the cheaper, all steel, cassettes). SLX cranks aren't light, but are a very good choice for the money. Race Face Deus cranks and XT cranks are lighter, stiffer & cooler (than SLX), but will cost nearly twice as much as the SLX. Kudos to the SLX for external bearing B/B. I'd recommend sticking with an external bearing B/B. Consider converting to a 1x9 or 2x9 drivetrain to reduce wasted or duplicate gear ratios, and to decrease weight.
    Last edited by TOPJIMMY71; 02-03-2010 at 06:00 PM.

  26. #26
    Tattooed Scumbag
    Reputation: J_Sims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    151
    Not a bad build at all, you are going to be very happy with the niner. a great bike from a great company. I would only have three suggestions for altering your build

    1. Wheels
    2. Wheels
    3. Wheels

    Light, strong wheels make all the difference in the world, the rest is a great palce to start and upgrade as you break stuff..

    just my opinion
    If you don't live for something,
    You will die for NOTHING!!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20
    I want reliable. I like to ride all mountain. as far as weight thats not a big deal. I have not rode in 15 years. But when I did I rode 5 times a week almost all day long. I loved it!! Now my son wants to get into it so just thinking about a new bike. The Niner is very nice you can make it how you want it but that cost $$$$$ so far I'm up to $2750. Alot of money if it just sits in the basement. I still have not pulled the trigger on the Niner yet. Still thinking about the Stumpjumper 29er also or the Redline D660 both nice bikes 1/2 the money. So if it sits in the basement I will not feel as bad like I would about the Niner. If i did go with the Stumpjumper 29er or the Redline D660. If we do ride alot I could pass that down to my 10 year old son then get the Niner. I know I have to make my mine up about this and no one can help me with that.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by sandfish9903
    I want reliable. I like to ride all mountain. as far as weight thats not a big deal. I have not rode in 15 years. But when I did I rode 5 times a week almost all day long. I loved it!! Now my son wants to get into it so just thinking about a new bike. The Niner is very nice you can make it how you want it but that cost $$$$$ so far I'm up to $2750. Alot of money if it just sits in the basement. I still have not pulled the trigger on the Niner yet. Still thinking about the Stumpjumper 29er also or the Redline D660 both nice bikes 1/2 the money. So if it sits in the basement I will not feel as bad like I would about the Niner. If i did go with the Stumpjumper 29er or the Redline D660. If we do ride alot I could pass that down to my 10 year old son then get the Niner. I know I have to make my mine up about this and no one can help me with that.
    Well, with that said - I'd skip the Niner and get the SJ... maybe not as custom as a Niner, but more bang for the buck... besides you can customize it later if you want. I love my Specialized 29ers! I have an '08 SJ Comp (running SS) & a new 2010 Epic Comp 29... love 'em both!!!

  29. #29
    What It Be ?
    Reputation: ChrisJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    888
    But its a Special Ed? I have an allez. But I'm not a fan of there Mountain Bikes.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14
    Here is the Air9 build I am working on. Spent $3173 not including pedals so not much more than yours but it should be less than 22lbs. I tried to just be patient and buy parts on sale.

    <iframe width='900' height='650' frameborder='0' src='http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tuc6a8W230_XR5LHDLJJMSA&single=true&gid=0& output=html&widget=true'></iframe>

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by wankelrx
    Here is the Air9 build I am working on. Spent $3173 not including pedals so not much more than yours but it should be less than 22lbs. I tried to just be patient and buy parts on sale.
    Woah thats cheap

    I'm building something very similar, but in large and weight comes to 9,37kg. Well the point is that I have to pay 4564 USD to get those parts here in Denmark, and that's after using 3 weeks getting the lowest prices possible.
    Last edited by Drea; 02-04-2010 at 01:23 AM.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea
    Woah thats cheap
    That's what I tell my wife but she doesn't seem to agree

  33. #33
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    473
    While the SJ 29er and the Redline D660 look like better options price wise, they do not ride the same as the Air-9. I've ridden all three and would choose the Air-9 hands down. The SJ 29'er (it was an 08) was stiffer and had a harsher ride than my old 96 Cannondale hardtail frame! It would be great for smoother trails and raising but beat me to death! The Redline was a little better, but not the same. The Air-9 pedals like a aluminum bike but rides more like a steel. It's stiff in the BB area but compliant in the seat stays with very little lateral flex. If you're going to drop that much dough get the Air-9.

    BTW Have you test ridden any of these bikes yet? I've got a S, M and L demos at the shop. But that's only helpful if you're going to be in the Charlotte, NC area...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bondseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    While the SJ 29er and the Redline D660 look like better options price wise, they do not ride the same as the Air-9. I've ridden all three and would choose the Air-9 hands down. The SJ 29'er (it was an 08) was stiffer and had a harsher ride than my old 96 Cannondale hardtail frame! It would be great for smoother trails and raising but beat me to death! The Redline was a little better, but not the same. The Air-9 pedals like a aluminum bike but rides more like a steel. It's stiff in the BB area but compliant in the seat stays with very little lateral flex. If you're going to drop that much dough get the Air-9.

    BTW Have you test ridden any of these bikes yet? I've got a S, M and L demos at the shop. But that's only helpful if you're going to be in the Charlotte, NC area...
    Are the trails ridable in Charlotte? Raleigh is a dam mess.

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondseye
    Are the trails ridable in Charlotte? Raleigh is a dam mess.
    Same here. I wouldn't ride for another 2 weeks with no precip but we're going to get some more this weekend.

    Mark

  36. #36
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,090
    Changes I'd make not already stated
    SLX 22/36 crankset, combined with..
    MED cage X.9 rear der
    SLX Front der
    Ritchey PRO stem/post/bars (ideally they should all match )
    X.9 Twist Shifters

    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1
    Upgrade the wheels. I have a Jet 9 with XT wheels and they are indeed pigs. I also have the new aluminium Air 9 with Crank Brothers Cobalt wheelset and rigid carbon fork.

    The air 9 is awesome, climbs like a mountain goat and it's fast, fast, fast !

    BTW - I'm 5' 10 200 Lbs

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,100
    20 months later........

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.