Niner 2017 air9 rdo 2 star build or Specialied 2017 epic comp carbon HT?- Mtbr.com
    DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Niner 2017 air9 rdo 2 star build or Specialied 2017 epic comp carbon HT?

I am looking at either of these two bikes to serve as a light xc bike for general xc riding when I dont feel like hauling around my 29 FS rig. Im aware of the differences in parts spec but was looking for any input on ride quality as far as the frames and geo of each bike. If anyone has ridden either bike and/or can provide any input thanks in advance.

Formerly of Kent
    I much prefer the geometry of the new Specialized.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd add a Stache carbon build to the list. Lots of versatility. You can tune the ride compliance with tire/rim width and pressure.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    Because Stache is a pure breed XC race machine, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I much prefer the geometry of the new Specialized.

The geometry looks almost identical. What are you looking at on the Specialized that the Air9 doesn't have?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    The geometry looks almost identical. What are you looking at on the Specialized that the Air9 doesn't have?
    HTA is 1.2 slacker.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    HTA is 1.2 slacker.

The Air9 is 70, and the Specialized is 69.8. The Air9 was updated for 2017, are you thinking of the older one?

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am looking at the carbon Stache too but as more of a trail HT and looking at either the Niner air9 or Specialized Epic as an xc HT. What are any of your thoughts on the ride quality between the the carbon frames of the Niner air9 and the Specialized epic HT? Does the steeper STA of the Epic HT make any difference in rice compared to the slacker STA of the Niner air9.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bump

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL View Post
    I am looking at either of these two bikes to serve as a light xc bike for general xc riding when I dont feel like hauling around my 29 FS rig. Im aware of the differences in parts spec but was looking for any input on ride quality as far as the frames and geo of each bike. If anyone has ridden either bike and/or can provide any input thanks in advance.

between those two bikes.

I'd pick the Niner. My reason. I have a 2017 RKT 9 RDO and a friend ( shop owner I ride for) has a Epic. the geo's are close to the same. My Niner will bomb down a hill much smoother than the Epic. He has ridden my RKT and is now selling his Epic.

I have Demo'd a AIR9 to compare it with my Trek Procal.
    If you have a Trek dealer in your town. I'd strongly go look at a Procal. The HA does not feel as its listed to be at all. Very fun and playful bike.

Between the AIR9 and my Procal. I fit my Procal better but the AIR9 was fun to ride
    Last edited by brent701; 03-02-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    FYI the AIR 9 RDO can also be run with a 120mm fork. All our current hardtails have been tested and pass with 120mm forks.

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEB View Post
    Because Stache is a pure breed XC race machine, right?
    Well if you look at the race bikes on the XCO World Cup all the pure bred race machines are fs. You get a lot closer to that capability with the carbon Stache and the right fork, wheels and tires. There's room for tuning in some rear compliance with tire volume. It's available as a frameset. If these other frames would take a wide rim wheel and wider tire at the rear that would be different. But even with Boost 148 the Procal is limited to a 2.2 according to Trek. The frame has no vertical compliance when off the seat and you can't use a high volume wider tire to add any because of the lack of chainstay clearance. Pretty much useless for technical downhill XC segments in a longer race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Well if you look at the race bikes on the XCO World Cup all the pure bred race machines are fs. You get a lot closer to that capability with the carbon Stache and the right fork, wheels and tires. There's room for tuning in some rear compliance with tire volume. It's available as a frameset. If these other frames would take a wide rim wheel and wider tire at the rear that would be different. But even with Boost 148 the Procal is limited to a 2.2 according to Trek. The frame has no vertical compliance when off the seat and you can't use a high volume wider tire to add any because of the lack of chainstay clearance. Pretty much useless for technical downhill XC segments in a longer race.
    Ah no.
    Too Many .

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I like the idea of the air 9 with 120 mm fork. Is it available with a 120 fork as a complete build?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL View Post
    I like the idea of the air 9 with 120 mm fork. Is it available with a 120 fork as a complete build?
    Per their website. They are all currently sold at 100mm as a complete bike.
    Not hard to replace the airshaft to up the travel.
    Just don't get the build with the Fox 32 SC, it's limited to 100mm
    Too Many .