Niner 2017 air9 rdo 2 star build or Specialied 2017 epic comp carbon HT?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    DTL
    DTL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    709

    Niner 2017 air9 rdo 2 star build or Specialied 2017 epic comp carbon HT?

    I am looking at either of these two bikes to serve as a light xc bike for general xc riding when I dont feel like hauling around my 29 FS rig. Im aware of the differences in parts spec but was looking for any input on ride quality as far as the frames and geo of each bike. If anyone has ridden either bike and/or can provide any input thanks in advance.

    Niner 2017 air9 rdo 2 star build or Specialied 2017 epic comp carbon HT?

  2. #2
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,561
    I much prefer the geometry of the new Specialized.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,362
    I'd add a Stache carbon build to the list. Lots of versatility. You can tune the ride compliance with tire/rim width and pressure.

  4. #4
    hardcore
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    143
    Because Stache is a pure breed XC race machine, right?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I much prefer the geometry of the new Specialized.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The geometry looks almost identical. What are you looking at on the Specialized that the Air9 doesn't have?

  6. #6
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,561
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    The geometry looks almost identical. What are you looking at on the Specialized that the Air9 doesn't have?
    HTA is 1.2 slacker.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    HTA is 1.2 slacker.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The Air9 is 70, and the Specialized is 69.8. The Air9 was updated for 2017, are you thinking of the older one?


  8. #8
    DTL
    DTL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    709
    I am looking at the carbon Stache too but as more of a trail HT and looking at either the Niner air9 or Specialized Epic as an xc HT. What are any of your thoughts on the ride quality between the the carbon frames of the Niner air9 and the Specialized epic HT? Does the steeper STA of the Epic HT make any difference in rice compared to the slacker STA of the Niner air9.

  9. #9
    DTL
    DTL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    709
    Bump

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL View Post
    I am looking at either of these two bikes to serve as a light xc bike for general xc riding when I dont feel like hauling around my 29 FS rig. Im aware of the differences in parts spec but was looking for any input on ride quality as far as the frames and geo of each bike. If anyone has ridden either bike and/or can provide any input thanks in advance.

    Niner 2017 air9 rdo 2 star build or Specialied 2017 epic comp carbon HT?
    between those two bikes.

    I'd pick the Niner. My reason. I have a 2017 RKT 9 RDO and a friend ( shop owner I ride for) has a Epic. the geo's are close to the same. My Niner will bomb down a hill much smoother than the Epic. He has ridden my RKT and is now selling his Epic.

    I have Demo'd a AIR9 to compare it with my Trek Procal.
    If you have a Trek dealer in your town. I'd strongly go look at a Procal. The HA does not feel as its listed to be at all. Very fun and playful bike.

    Between the AIR9 and my Procal. I fit my Procal better but the AIR9 was fun to ride
    Last edited by brent701; 03-02-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Too Many .

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Niner Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,200
    FYI the AIR 9 RDO can also be run with a 120mm fork. All our current hardtails have been tested and pass with 120mm forks.
    .........

    Peace,
    Niner Bikes

    Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,362
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEB View Post
    Because Stache is a pure breed XC race machine, right?
    Well if you look at the race bikes on the XCO World Cup all the pure bred race machines are fs. You get a lot closer to that capability with the carbon Stache and the right fork, wheels and tires. There's room for tuning in some rear compliance with tire volume. It's available as a frameset. If these other frames would take a wide rim wheel and wider tire at the rear that would be different. But even with Boost 148 the Procal is limited to a 2.2 according to Trek. The frame has no vertical compliance when off the seat and you can't use a high volume wider tire to add any because of the lack of chainstay clearance. Pretty much useless for technical downhill XC segments in a longer race.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Well if you look at the race bikes on the XCO World Cup all the pure bred race machines are fs. You get a lot closer to that capability with the carbon Stache and the right fork, wheels and tires. There's room for tuning in some rear compliance with tire volume. It's available as a frameset. If these other frames would take a wide rim wheel and wider tire at the rear that would be different. But even with Boost 148 the Procal is limited to a 2.2 according to Trek. The frame has no vertical compliance when off the seat and you can't use a high volume wider tire to add any because of the lack of chainstay clearance. Pretty much useless for technical downhill XC segments in a longer race.
    Ah no.
    Too Many .

  14. #14
    DTL
    DTL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    709
    I like the idea of the air 9 with 120 mm fork. Is it available with a 120 fork as a complete build?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL View Post
    I like the idea of the air 9 with 120 mm fork. Is it available with a 120 fork as a complete build?
    Per their website. They are all currently sold at 100mm as a complete bike.
    Not hard to replace the airshaft to up the travel.
    Just don't get the build with the Fox 32 SC, it's limited to 100mm
    Too Many .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-24-2019, 05:34 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 08:13 PM
  4. 2017 Niner Air9 RDO for SS
    By RacerLex in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-03-2017, 02:58 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 05:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.