Niner 2010 at Eurobike- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 86 of 86
  1. #1
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,856

    Niner 2010 at Eurobike

    new carbon frame
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,856
    other pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,948
    Stupid double posts!!

  4. #4
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,948
    What is the deal with those tyres??
    Looks like they found them in some dumpster dive.

  5. #5
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    What is the deal with those tyres??
    Looks like they found them in some dumpster dive.
    what an expert .....

  6. #6
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,948
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    what an expert .....
    Thanks for the informative answer.
    Is there a good reason why they have them on there??
    I am interested.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    220
    I just heard about that frame last week. Looks nice, thanks for posting pics!
    nobody reads your blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Thanks for the informative answer.
    Is there a good reason why they have them on there??
    I am interested.
    Yes, the wheels are carbon tubular rims and the tires are most likely Dugast tubulars (what the Swisspower team runs)... Very expensive and very light.

  9. #9
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,688
    Very slick looking. Very expensive looking. Very light looking.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juan_speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    Yes, the wheels are carbon tubular rims and the tires are most likely Dugast tubulars (what the Swisspower team runs)... Very expensive and very light.

    With very poor looking tread.

    Geax is making a 29" Saguaro tubular. Likely a better choice imo.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101
    Looks like some old Panaracer tires from the 80's The bike looks sweet but the tires look like shat.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Looks like some old Panaracer tires from the 80's The bike looks sweet but the tires look like shat.
    pretty sure the worlds was just won on the 26er version of that tire

  13. #13
    DG5
    DG5 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DG5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by p lo
    pretty sure the worlds was just won on the 26er version of that tire
    I don't care if they won the interplanetary allstar olympics!! that tire is F'n UGLY.
    I love my bike.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: D_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    699
    Those tires are handmade one at a time and the road versions at least are the ne plus ultra of tubular tires. Ultimate speed AND comfort. They do look a bit retro though.

    What's fugly to me is the nascar/billboard style paintjob on the frame with logos made to be read from outer space.

    Can we order a sotto voce version of that frame?

    Otherwise, it's a pretty sweet frame and I hope Niner sells a ton of them (and that they don't break).

  15. #15
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,749
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    What is the deal with those tyres??
    Looks like they found them in some dumpster dive.
    Tubulars.

    You know, the kind that were originally used on bikes, and still commonly featured on road and track bikes.

    And, they provide a pretty magical ride, I must say.

  16. #16
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,749
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5
    I don't care if they won the interplanetary allstar olympics!! that tire is F'n UGLY.
    Bikes are made to be ridden. Anything else is an extra.

    Until you ride a pair of tubulars, particularly Dugast tubulars, I suggest you keep your ill-informed opinions to yourself.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    997
    this frame need the niner carbon fork ...

  18. #18
    Meat Clever
    Reputation: DirtDummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    678
    Billboard or not, this bike gives me wood. May have to reconsider the no carbon frames rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

  19. #19
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Tubulars.

    You know, the kind that were originally used on bikes, and still commonly featured on road and track bikes.

    And, they provide a pretty magical ride, I must say.
    Not sure why the angst.
    I said I was interested to know.
    Tubular or not they are ugly.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101

    It's the tubular nazi.

    you keep your opinions to yourself, it isn't like this site was made for opinions or anything.


    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Bikes are made to be ridden. Anything else is an extra.

    Until you ride a pair of tubulars, particularly Dugast tubulars, I suggest you keep your ill-informed opinions to yourself.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scooter916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,265
    I wonder how well their carbon frames hold up!! They can't seem to make very good Aluminum or scandium bikes so hopefully they use plenty of elmers
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    105
    Apparently this thread is full of people who've never raced 'cross.

    That's a wider version of the Rhino tread used on Dugast's cyclocross mud tires. Dugasts are some of the absolute best handmade tubulars out there and used by the majority of world cup-level pros (as well as anyone else who can get their hands on them).

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    I dont care what you look like on race day. But when you are showing off you have to look your best. That bike looks like if Jennifer Aniston showed up at the red carpet on her "comfy" sweat pants and without make up.

    The frame looks sweet, but man the whole bike looks freaking ugly.

    Bring out the Fab 5... Any e-bling e-riding bike here looks better than that atrocity of a bike.
    Feel bad for niner...
    Sit and spin my ass...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    I hope there are drain holes in that frame. Looks okay and I bet that thing is light. If I were a racer and a hardtail fan, it would definitely be one to consider. Good attempt by Niner!

  25. #25
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    I dont care what you look like on race day. But when you are showing off you have to look your best. That bike looks like if Jennifer Aniston showed up at the red carpet on her "comfy" sweat pants and without make up.

    The frame looks sweet, but man the whole bike looks freaking ugly.

    Bring out the Fab 5... Any e-bling e-riding bike here looks better than that atrocity of a bike.
    Feel bad for niner...
    Agreed.

  26. #26
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,433



  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    166
    All your Superfly are belong to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by bt



  28. #28
    Plastic homer
    Reputation: Moval49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    592
    I ride Superflys, and I must say, in every critical detail, Niner has done a great job. It would look sexy with the famed Niner fork - but I would not ride one that way. As for tires - they are only beautiful in extreme turns and iffy surfaces.

    This bike rocks.

  29. #29
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    this frame need the niner carbon fork ...
    front caliper view:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  30. #30
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,856
    other detail on BB:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    107

    Bb

    What kind of BB is that? BB 30??

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Not sure why the angst.
    I said I was interested to know.
    Tubular or not they are ugly.
    I am with you! They remind me of the old skin wall tires. UG LEE!

  33. #33
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,260
    No, it's bigger.
    It can fit every bottom bracket existing ad their EBB.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    997
    what to do with the front internal cable outlets when running it single speed?

    any information regarding price and weight yet?

    BRETT , CHRIS ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

  35. #35
    Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    I suggest you keep your ill-informed opinions to yourself.
    Don't be a goose-stepper, this is a FORUM afterall.

  36. #36
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    what to do with the front internal cable outlets when running it single speed?

    any information regarding price and weight yet?

    BRETT , CHRIS ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

    The Niner badge will be there, and there will be plugs to seal the holes and make for a clean looking head tube
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  37. #37
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,213

    Eye of the beholder

    It's Niner's top of the line race bike. To a racer the Dugast's are the sh!t and they don't care if they match your purse.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by bt


    Quoted for epic win / lulz.

    Sure would hate to turn around and see that bearing down on me...

    But a very nice frame, carbon wrap around the seatpost cues taken from c'dale flash, courtesy of stolen scott carbon guy....
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

  39. #39
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,235
    in one pic there's a racing ralph, we want more pics of that bike... you can plug the carbon tubular rims on their own thread.

  40. #40
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,235
    nevermind found it myself










  41. #41
    holy schfincter..
    Reputation: TigerRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by p lo
    pretty sure the worlds was just won on the 26er version of that tire
    True, there were actually a lot of guys running this tire, not just the Swisspower team. Nys was one of them.

  42. #42
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by rvmdmechanic
    Quoted for epic win / lulz.

    Sure would hate to turn around and see that bearing down on me...
    Just FYI this bike will have a magnesium head tube badge with internal cable routing through the badge. The head tube badge was not done in time for this show. It will be a very clean and finished looking frame. If you plan on running the bike as a SS, you can plug up the cable guide holes. Incognito.

    Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  43. #43
    Hud
    Hud is offline
    Singletrack minded
    Reputation: Hud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,948
    Is that a 2.4 Ralph?
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

  44. #44
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,959
    Anyone have pricing?

    The carbon frame and fork is making me feel light-headed.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,063
    It's been a long time since a hardtail caught my attention like this. It almost makes me want to replace my FS. The orange is very sweet.

  46. #46
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Folks,

    Keep in mind they are playing/pitching this to the European market. What goes on in Europe, stays in Europe.

    I'm far more interested in seeing this bike show up at InterBike in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks, and how it looks there. Wheels are like drill bits, they change every day with the work to be done and the job at hand.

  47. #47
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Folks,

    Keep in mind they are playing/pitching this to the European market. What goes on in Europe, stays in Europe.
    Not necessarily just the Euro market. Anyone racing at the elite/pro level I'm sure will show some interest.

    I actually had these wheels in my hands at Eurobike (after the pics of them on the Niner carbon frame) and I must say I was impressed. The people poo poo'in them either don't race or have never had the opportunity to see what 13xx gram wheels on a 29er will do to your speed over long distances, climbing, and fast cornering re-acceleration. With this wheel set you have carbon lateral stiffness and sweet sweet tubular riding feel.

    Lets say you are at the elite level, 5'10" and 130 pounds and taking any more weight off your body isn't a healthy option. This is where these types of wheels come into play to get just that more of an edge competition-wise.

    I had the Geax tubular 29ers in my hands as well. Another solid tread pattern which will be popular on the less than 1%ers race bikes these are ultimately designed for...
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  48. #48
    A Surly Maverick
    Reputation: Dr Feelygood !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,639
    Hot Sauce !

    Niner make another great bike and I LOVE internal cable routing

    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

  49. #49
    Got Twins?
    Reputation: l84biking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    297

    Guesstimated Delivery Dates?

    Hey Brett,

    Just curious, what's the thinking on when the frame and carbon fork will be available? Not that I'd hold you down for it, just to give us some idea.

    Great looking in either color. Love the internal cabling and very innovative on the cable entry points.

    Thanks!
    L8
    Let us Ride!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    218

    white...

    I know 80's fashion is back but all that white looks crappy to me. Whats wrong with good 'ol black for a carbon frame?

    Wrong place to air this but I'm getting sick of new stuff that 99.9% of us don't need and won't make us appriecably faster i.e. sram XX, carbon wheels, tubular tires, newest maxle-do dad --most of which seems to be about getting us all to buy new crap that won't work with what we already have. Vent complete.

    This is not directed at Niner (great bikes on the whole as far as I've heard) more to the large bike industry and mags like MBA that spread the propaganda.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mdb1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    450
    This is a nice looking machine. Not sure I get the hysteria around the tubulars. From a laymen's viewpoint it seems like Niner is really stepping it up regards to R&D. It's pretty exciting to see a young company supplying the offerings they are.

  52. #52
    i don't give a shift
    Reputation: collideous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    863
    I spend all my biking time on my good old One9. Once you start rolling these out of the factory, you can send one my way. I'll ride it hard, rigid and single.

  53. #53
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,749
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    The people poo poo'in them either don't race or have never had the opportunity to see what 13xx gram wheels on a 29er will do to your speed over long distances, climbing, and fast cornering re-acceleration. With this wheel set you have carbon lateral stiffness and sweet sweet tubular riding feel.

    Lets say you are at the elite level, 5'10" and 130 pounds and taking any more weight off your body isn't a healthy option. This is where these types of wheels come into play to get just that more of an edge competition-wise.
    I'd be willing to bet that most people knocking carbon wheels and tubulars are closer to twice that. Just sayin'...

  54. #54
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Just FYI this bike will have a magnesium head tube badge with internal cable routing through the badge. The head tube badge was not done in time for this show. It will be a very clean and finished looking frame. If you plan on running the bike as a SS, you can plug up the cable guide holes. Incognito.

    Brett
    Niner Bikes
    congrats...seriously, looks, and no doubt rides badazz!

    i retract everything i said about carbon, tapered headtubes, etc...i think I "need" a carbon hardtail now

  55. #55
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,749
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    congrats...seriously, looks, and no doubt rides badazz!

    i retract everything i said about carbon, tapered headtubes, etc...i think I "need" a carbon hardtail now
    I'm only quoting this for the sake of posterity.

  56. #56
    Time to go farther
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,338
    The bike is smokin hot. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on a frame/fork/headset for next year's ultras. Unfortunately it will probably be priced out of my ballpark. We'll see when they actually have a production version I guess.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

  57. #57
    COMBO - President
    Reputation: FASTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296
    That seat post picture looks likes like a sailing ship mast more than a seat post, how long is that thing? Love the bike.

  58. #58
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Not necessarily just the Euro market. Anyone racing at the elite/pro level I'm sure will show some interest.

    I actually had these wheels in my hands at Eurobike (after the pics of them on the Niner carbon frame) and I must say I was impressed. The people poo poo'in them either don't race or have never had the opportunity to see what 13xx gram wheels on a 29er will do to your speed over long distances, climbing, and fast cornering re-acceleration. With this wheel set you have carbon lateral stiffness and sweet sweet tubular riding feel.

    Lets say you are at the elite level, 5'10" and 130 pounds and taking any more weight off your body isn't a healthy option. This is where these types of wheels come into play to get just that more of an edge competition-wise.

    I had the Geax tubular 29ers in my hands as well. Another solid tread pattern which will be popular on the less than 1%ers race bikes these are ultimately designed for...
    Sounds kinda like a short dude/compensation/Napolean complex, and needing a carbon frame.


    Sorry dude... not in that category... Pro /Elite 130 pounds.... got something for me that I might be interested in at 225 # 6'5" that won't ding and fold, like my Salsa DelGado did on it's first trip on Mammoth Rock Trail on the back of my AIR 9?

    How about some pics of some 2010 NINER stuff for us average riders, ones that are realists, not constant dreamers.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    39

    nice

    Looks like a very nice light bike. Probably shreds second pics with the ac wheels looks super dialed.

  60. #60
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    got something for me that I might be interested in at 225 # 6'5"

    How about some pics of some 2010 NINER stuff for us average riders, ones that are realists, not constant dreamers.
    Like this or this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  61. #61
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Hey Niner dudes, any changes to the Rip and or Jet for 2010? Inquiring minds want to know.

    I am ready to buy a new FS bike right now and my "short list" is too long. Rip and Jet9 are both on my short list.

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

  62. #62
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokey-Doke
    All your Superfly are belong to us.
    BWAHAHAH! Funny bt and Spokey-doke
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

  63. #63
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Edit: double post
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 09-08-2009 at 05:48 PM.

  64. #64
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Like this or this?

    Now that's hardwood material! Slap some Kris Holms on that baby and let the boulders fly!


    BTW, I met the photographer that does your in house shots at Mammoth Mtn Downhill Championships this Labor Day weekend while racing 4x... talk about a photo finish, he caught the guy 30 seconds in front of him doing a 2 wheel drift on the marbles on a hard right, right off of the last jump, both of them into the safety straps, elbow to elbow, drifting on marbles, and passed him. Epic finish. Can't remember his name, but an honorary Niner /Ergon team member of sorts?

  65. #65
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    I'm only quoting this for the sake of posterity.
    good idea

    now leave me alone...I need to go back and edit 8000 posts where i refered to the aforementioned bike characteristics in a negative fashion

    having said that, Ti hardtails are still tops for me without a doubt

  66. #66
    Delirious Tuck
    Reputation: thefriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,434
    I gotta ask the question RandyBoy asked, will us big boys be able to saddle up the carbon so it will handle the beating that 200-250lb rider physics exert on a frame? I'm focused on the frame, components are another thing altogether.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    I think everyone here agrees with you..... but

    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Not necessarily just the Euro market. Anyone racing at the elite/pro level I'm sure will show some interest.

    I actually had these wheels in my hands at Eurobike (after the pics of them on the Niner carbon frame) and I must say I was impressed. The people poo poo'in them either don't race or have never had the opportunity to see what 13xx gram wheels on a 29er will do to your speed over long distances, climbing, and fast cornering re-acceleration. With this wheel set you have carbon lateral stiffness and sweet sweet tubular riding feel.

    Lets say you are at the elite level, 5'10" and 130 pounds and taking any more weight off your body isn't a healthy option. This is where these types of wheels come into play to get just that more of an edge competition-wise.

    I had the Geax tubular 29ers in my hands as well. Another solid tread pattern which will be popular on the less than 1%ers race bikes these are ultimately designed for...
    Brett, you've got to admit that those skin wall tires look (I said look) fugly. For shows we want to see the high heels, not the running shoes...
    Sit and spin my ass...

  68. #68
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Brett, you've got to admit that those skin wall tires look (I said look) fugly. For shows we want to see the high heels, not the running shoes...
    Some see "skin walls" and a Ford Colt, others see $200+ tubulars and a Porsche 997 GT2.

    That's as bling as it gets. The tread is glued to a cotton or silt casing, which is the "skin" color. Completely customizable.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by beastwood9
    I know 80's fashion is back but all that white looks crappy to me. Whats wrong with good 'ol black for a carbon frame?

    Wrong place to air this but I'm getting sick of new stuff that 99.9% of us don't need and won't make us appriecably faster i.e. sram XX, carbon wheels, tubular tires, newest maxle-do dad --most of which seems to be about getting us all to buy new crap that won't work with what we already have. Vent complete.

    This is not directed at Niner (great bikes on the whole as far as I've heard) more to the large bike industry and mags like MBA that spread the propaganda.
    Then ride your rigid Tange prestige frame and spare us. Same advice applies to people who are 2+ bills crying about Dugast tubulars and calling it Euro trash blah, blah, blah. If you are that heavy then buy the appropriate equipment (as Niner suggested with the WFO). I am more the proportions that were mentioned (5'10 and 130 lbs) and currently ride the Stans ZTR Race 29er wheel without any issues. I want to see more of this type of product.

    Thanks Niner

  70. #70
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man

    Otherwise, it's a pretty sweet frame and I hope Niner sells a ton of them (and that they don't break).
    I hear ya'. I'd give it a season before I put my own money down... but I'd love to take one for a ride and give it a try.
    I like bikes

  71. #71
    Let's ride
    Reputation: rensho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,125
    What's the weight of the bike when running with those tubular 'cross' wheels? Must be superlight.

  72. #72
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    What's the weight of the bike when running with those tubular 'cross' wheels? Must be superlight.
    It was well under 18 pounds (without cassette and disk rotors)
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juan_speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,434
    What the story on the headset for the carbon bike? I can't find any info on the Niner site, but maybe I overlooked it.

  74. #74
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Brett, you've got to admit that those skin wall tires look (I said look) fugly. For shows we want to see the high heels, not the running shoes...
    Zion, if you look at the above pics you will see two American Classic Wheels with Schwalbe tires on behind the bike. Those are the ones which were on the bike the entire show. Our Italian friends put their wheels on the bike briefly for some shots to see what they looked like on the bike and took some shots. To check out the 16.49 pound geared AIR9 one of them has with this wheelset, check this link out:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...ghlight=2melow

    Here are some pics of the bike after all the final details were made a few days before in Switzerland visiting one of our dealers Mainstreet 42 in Glattfelden.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/domahid...92974542247010

    <img src="https://lh5.ggpht.com/_1cGQTAtNdnQ/SpwTBquKlGI/AAAAAAAAAeg/WEPZjTqbQOI/s640/IMG_3872.JPG">

    <img src="https://lh6.ggpht.com/_1cGQTAtNdnQ/SpwS_eGk9QI/AAAAAAAAAeY/CcPau9sQv5c/s640/IMG_3868.JPG">

    <img src="https://lh6.ggpht.com/_1cGQTAtNdnQ/SpwSy9mmtgI/AAAAAAAAAd4/smDBgxbO-AE/s640/IMG_3857.JPG">



    Cheers,

    Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Last edited by 2melow; 09-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    997
    is it a RR 2.25 or a 2.4?

  76. #76
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    852
    I hope you guys have updated your Jet 9's also.

    Thats what I want for 2010.

  77. #77
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    I hope you guys have updated your Jet 9's also.

    Thats what I want for 2010.
    Me too. Asking again... any changes to Rip and Jet for 2010?
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

  78. #78
    Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    <img src="https://lh6.ggpht.com/_1cGQTAtNdnQ/SpwSy9mmtgI/AAAAAAAAAd4/smDBgxbO-AE/s640/IMG_3857.JPG">
    Those Crocs look as good as the tubulars above. So comfy...

  79. #79
    mvi
    mvi is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,236
    Great looking bike. Wish I could ride it in cyclocross races with a rigid fork and those pretty big Dugasts. Did someone say corner speed?

  80. #80
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    If this is the 2010 model AIR 9, and it's carbon, what are you going to name the Scandium framed model that was the AIR 9 in 2009? I guess I'm confused on the model names from 2009 to 2010 being the same, but the material is different?

  81. #81
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    If this is the 2010 model AIR 9, and it's carbon, what are you going to name the Scandium framed model that was the AIR 9 in 2009? I guess I'm confused on the model names from 2009 to 2010 being the same, but the material is different?
    Air 9 and Air 9 Carbon

    http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?l...bikes&taxid=97
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

  82. #82
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,440
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Looks like some old Panaracer tires from the 80's The bike looks sweet but the tires look like shat.
    wow. there is a lot of knowledge in this forum.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  83. #83
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,440
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    you keep your opinions to yourself, it isn't like this site was made for opinions or anything.
    you spend a ton of cash on a ti frame and know nothing about wheels?
    hey...ideal cusomer.
    want to buy a bridge?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  84. #84
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    want to buy a bridge?
    Man, your all fired up today. Got any pictures of those hot women from Rio you can add to this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

  85. #85
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Man, your all fired up today. Got any pictures of those hot women from Rio you can add to this thread?
    i thought of posting more pics of racing wheels w/ dugast tires. there is NOTHING more beautifull.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  86. #86
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    i thought of posting more pics of racing wheels w/ dugast tires. there is NOTHING more beautifull.
    Ah ha LOL.with all those hot latinas... you are one sick puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.