Nimble 9 or Yelli Screamy???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nimble 9 or Yelli Screamy???

Hey all,

I'm looking to build up another hardtail 29er (been rocking a Karate Monkey since '03) and can't decide between a Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 or a Yelli Screamy.

I realize that they are pretty different as one is steel, the other is aluminum. One can roll SS, the other is all geared, etc. Here are the main plusses and minuses as far as I can tell.

Nimble 9:
    +Can run SS
    +Steel frame = more compliant
    +Curved seat stays = more compliant
    -1-1/8" head tube
    +Accepts a standard 1-1/8" headset

Yelli Screamy:
    -No single speed (unless i use an eccentric hub)
    +Aluminum frame = stiffer
    +Tapered headtube = stiffer

Anything that i've missed.

To give you some background I'm 6'2" 225 with a 32" and live in Illinois where I ride XC and aggressive XC as well as some urban. I will however be moving to Hawaii in the near future where I will see some gnarly down hill action.

Also, and suggestions on sizing? I'm kind of between the L and XL. For reference my Karate Monkey is a 20" frame.

Happy trails,
    Winky

Edit: I forgot to mention that the 30.9 seat tube diameter gives me more options for dropper seat posts.

And has anyone tried putting Paragon Machine Works slider inserts in the Nimble 9? Are they compatible? I asked Chris and he didn't know for sure.
    Last edited by Winky; 10-10-2011 at 11:24 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Having been on a KM that long I'm surprised you aren't already set on the Nimble since its steel and single speed ready. Sounds like you want somebody to say "stick with what you like". So there... done

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the reply 92.

That is a great question. I guess I'm torn because the trails in Hawaii (where I will be within a year or so) are so technical and down hill that the stiffer frame of the Yelli, combined with the anodized paint and no need to worry about rust appeal to me. That and I will not be selling my Karate Monkey (I've got too many good memories on that bike) and would like to have something different.

I am also not sure that I will be running it SS out there, everything is so gnarly to climb that gears would be nice.

Thanks,
    Winky

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Ahh, if you're keeping the monkey just get the yelli. Stiffer, lighter, same awesome feel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I saw that your bike (which is pretty sweet and similar to what I'm gonna build) has a Cane Creek 40 h/s. I was wondering what assembly you are using? I was looking into the headset for the yelli and I just wanted to be sure I order the right headset.

For the top cup: 40.ZS.44

Bottom cup: 40.EC.49 or 40.ZS.49 Do I need the external cup or the zero stack version?

Thanks,
    Winky

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky View Post

Bottom cup: 40.EC.49 or 40.ZS.49 Do I need the external cup or the zero stack version?

Thanks,
    Winky
    You're right on the top. The bottom will depend on whether or not you get a tapered fork.

Tapered - you have to have the external cup. (ec49 #BAA0091K)
    Non-tapered - you can use the external (ec49 conversion #BAA0207K) or internal (zs49 #BAA0088K)

I chose the external cause the frame was designed with that stack height and if I change to a fork with a tapered steerer all I have to do is get a different crown race. Only drawback is that the conversion crown race is made of solid steel and weighs about a pound by itself. I exaggerate but its damn heavy for a crown race.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm 6'4, 235 lbs, 32/33 inseam and went with an XL black ano Yelli after a few weeks of being indecisive, lol, just ask Chris or Sean at Canfield. The 18" ST on the L Yelli seems short, especially coming from a 19.5" ST on my TransAM, which is on the small side of things. Reach and ETT is only less than an inch longer, so with a 50mm stem, it should be perfect.

Plus carrying around the 2+ lbs of extra weight compared to the new 29er TransAM steel frame, the Yelli was a clear winner. My current 26er TransAM weighs in at 33 lbs which is a lot for singletrack use. My plan with the Yelli is somewhere around 27 or 28 lbs. And like you said, dealing with rust on these frames can be a nuisance, even though my TransAM was ED coated inside. Plus I'll take an anodized finish over paint any day of the week. Lighter and much more durable.

And I live in Illinois as well, and mostly ride at Palos and the only part of the build I'm stuck at is what fork to buy for this bike. I'm thinking 140/110 adjustable like the new Fox 34 Talas or RS Revelation, just can't commit to one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hi Winky....I'll start this off by saying I think you would love them both. They are both similar but have different attributes like you've listed.

Something to consider is there is no XL in the Nimble 9. The seat tube on the XL Yelli Screamy sits at 20''. I'm sure you've gathered a bit of info from here. One thing I have noticed is everyone's sizing is a personal preference. I know we have 6' guys on medium Yelli's as well as L and XL.

Component wise, you have alot of choices for either. Some prefer the 1 1/8. Others rave about tapered fork stiffness. There are a lot variables that translate to what we feel on the trail. Either one can be setup geared and SS. There are a lot of people going SS with Yelli's and a tensioner. I imagine in HI, I would want a 1x setup. Its a personal preference though.

A recent trend, especially in 29er world is the shorter stem/wider bar combo. It really helps to compare to what you are currently riding and see if the changes in sizing would be better for you or not. The Nimble9 does flex more then the Yelli. This is a design of the frame as well as materials. 4130 is a smooth ride. At your size I think L or XL would fit, But I think you would prefer overall the YS in XL. With a 50mm stem to start. A bigger individual will benefit from the stiffer handling bike. The Yelli is slightly lighter. They both have been real popular. Tough Choice.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the input guys!

I'm gonna go with the Yelli because I plan to keep my Karate Monkey until it breaks

My biggest decision right now is size. My karate Monkey is a 20" frame with a 24.3" ETT and I run a 110 x 10 degree stem with azonic double wall bars (29" wide).

The ETT on the L is really close at 24.5" and the XL is longer at 25.3"

I am kind of leaning toward the large because it is similar to what I'm used to as far as ETT. I think that if I really want to run a short stem like a 50 I can always get a set back post. Right??

Edit: I just talked to Chris (pretty cool guy) and he recommended a Large.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll be sure to post up build pics!
    Winky

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ordered the Yelli

Hey all,

Incase I wasn't clear earlier, I have decided on the Yelli. I placed the order for my Large Black Yelli just a few minutes ago. I'm super stoked about it.

Quick question, does the frame come with HT Faced and BB chased and faced?? Or will I need to get it done?

Thanks again,
    Winky

P.S. Can you tell I'm stoked about this bike??

mtbr member
    Sounds like the Yelli is a good compliment to the Monkey for right now, but are you sure a HT will do the duty in Hawaii? I mean if you're keeping the Monkey there's your rigid/HT and then a nice slack FS would compliment it much better IMO than another HT if the trails really are so knarly. FYI, this coming from a guy who's been rocking a Paradox for a year and loving it, but yearning for some squish on the rougher, more tech trails as the bones just ain't that young anymore, but a nice slacked out, stiff alu bike really is nice in tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Hey all,

Incase I wasn't clear earlier, I have decided on the Yelli. I placed the order for my Large Black Yelli just a few minutes ago. I'm super stoked about it.

Quick question, does the frame come with HT Faced and BB chased and faced?? Or will I need to get it done?

Thanks again,
    Winky

That was quick.

mtbr member
    I just got done with my maiden voyage on the Yelli, Really dig the bikes DNA, curious to try it out in MOAB next to see what its about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    I just got done with my maiden voyage on the Yelli, Really dig the bikes DNA, curious to try it out in MOAB next to see what its about.
    Post some build pics.

mtbr member
    here it is. Pedals are temporary, everything else is staying
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nimble 9 or Yelli Screamy???-2011-10-09_12-35-53_830.jpg  

Nimble 9 or Yelli Screamy???-2011-10-10_18-29-51_968.jpg  

Nimble 9 or Yelli Screamy???-2011-10-10_18-30-05_929-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sick build. First green that I've seen built up. XL too.

mtbr member
    had a case of the shaky cell phone cam on the shots

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You'll need to get your mrp guide much closer to the chain. The way its sitting now, if the chain unwraps itself from the bottom of the ring, the guide isn't close enough at the top to keep it on. The bracket has some flex, so the chain actually can come completely off and wedge itself between the ring and the tail end of the guide.

Green is sick. Little bit of regret here...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    You'll need to get your mrp guide much closer to the chain. The way its sitting now, if the chain unwraps itself from the bottom of the ring, the guide isn't close enough at the top to keep it on. The bracket has some flex, so the chain actually can come completely off and wedge itself between the ring and the tail end of the guide.

Green is sick. Little bit of regret here...
    No orange XL builds either, yet... just black, purple and green.

Dinner for wolves
    WInky,

Good choice on the YS. Good choice on the KM, too. You don't need an eccentric hub to go SS on your Yelli. 30:18 works beautifully with a push-up tensioner and no half link. If you go this route, make sure you use a derailleur hanger mounted tensioner (or BB mounted), not an axle mounted one. The Yelli has weird dished drop-outs that make it a challenge to use an axle-mounted unit. My Yelli has been run SS exclusively since it hit thrails this Spring, and I have zero complaints.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    +1 for the green........man that looks mean !

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    WInky,

Good choice on the YS. Good choice on the KM, too. You don't need an eccentric hub to go SS on your Yelli. 30:18 works beautifully with a push-up tensioner and no half link. If you go this route, make sure you use a derailleur hanger mounted tensioner (or BB mounted), not an axle mounted one. The Yelli has weird dished drop-outs that make it a challenge to use an axle-mounted unit. My Yelli has been run SS exclusively since it hit thrails this Spring, and I have zero complaints.
    This pertains to my interests. Do you have a pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sweet bike.....Blue on Blue I9's would look crazy hot on this bad boy..IMO......I'd love to swing a leg over one of these bikes.....Congrats, enjoy.......CF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    +1 for the green........man that looks mean !
    Are chance of this Nimble/Screamy geo making it into a fully suspended platform?
    Reading Features...
    Cracking Features...
    Assembling Features...

mtbr member
    Hey all,

Thanks again,
    Winky

My frame came in today and both the HT and BB are faced. Along with the disc brake mounts as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Sweet bike.....Blue on Blue I9's would look crazy hot on this bad boy..IMO......I'd love to swing a leg over one of these bikes.....Congrats, enjoy.......CF.
    A YS is way to budget for bling wheels like that

Is dang happy!

Waiting for that color...

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Sick build. First green that I've seen built up. XL too.
    Not sure if I love it or hate it
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey,

I'm glad to see that there is so much interest in the Yelli, the number of replies says a lot about this bike.

Yxan, that thing is sick! How do you like the Zoke? What travel do you have it set at? The zoke is on the short list along with a reba. I definitely want a tapered head tube.

Lynx, You raise an excellent question about a HT in Hawaii. I've been riding an old (made in the USA) Trek 8000 in Hawaii so it is very doable on a HT. But I also have a Stumpy Comp (albeit a 26") to ride just incase. So my stable consists of a Monkey, a Stumpy and pretty soon a Yelli!

On another subject, I got an email reply from Chris Canfield that verified that the frames come with a faced HT and a chased and faced BB. So it is ready to build out of the box!!

Winky
    Last edited by Winky; 10-11-2011 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey all,

Thanks again,
    Winky

My medium yelli came with the HT, BB, brake bracket all faced. However, the non-drive side BB was really tight going in so I probably should have gotten the threads chased but it was late at night and I wanted the bike to be done so I just used my BB wrench to get it on there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Any advice on parts for a Yelli Screamy build? I've always bought complete bikes and never attempted something like this. My basic plan is a L Yelli with a 1x9 setup so I dont have to run a front de-railleur, and I already have a wheetset which I just had built up for another 29er bike Im looking to replace, aside from that its pretty much up in the air. Any info would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Hey,

I'm glad to see that there is so much interest in the Yelli, the number of replies says a lot about this bike.

Yxan, that thing is sick! How do you like the Zoke? What travel do you have it set at? The zoke is on the short list along with a reba. I definitely want a tapered head tube.

Lynx, You raise an excellent question about a HT in Hawaii. I've been riding an old (made in the USA) Trek 8000 in Hawaii so it is very doable on a HT. But I also have a Stumpy Comp (albeit a 26") to ride just incase. So my stable consists of a Monkey, a Stumpy and pretty soon a Yelli!

On another subject, I got an email reply from Chris Canfield that verified that the frames come with a faced HT and a chased and faced BB. So it is ready to build out of the box!!

Winky
    I am riding the fork at 140 mm and I really like the feel of the Zoke it is very very plush, last fork from those guys i had was on a specialized enduro 2003 model, and it feels good to be back on them again.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sweet build - love the green and blue. Couple of comments on my experience with the Yelli so far. I've got a Haro Mary rigid and a Yeti ASR Alloy; the Yelli does not beat me up any worse than the steel Mary, and probably less than the full squish Yeti (albeit we're talking 26 to 29). I am not missing rear suspension, but where we ride we don't have long crazy downhills.

One other + in my mind for the Yelli over the Nimble 9: number of water bottle bosses, 3 to 1. I can basically ditch the camelbak which for me is great when it's hot. I had to get the side access cages though due to dropped top tube. I am very curious why they only put one set of bosses on the Nimble 9?

I realize this is a resolved issue at this time, but just to put more info out there on sizing, I am 5'10" with a crazy 34" inseam, I got the medium based mostly on ETTL. I have no regrets at all with that decision.

Enjoy and let us know how it works out in HI terrain!
    1 Bike Shy of a Full Quiver

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock26 View Post
    I am very curious why they only put one set of bosses on the Nimble 9?
    So those of us that do have crazy long downhills can drop the saddle more than 3".

I've never used the ST bosses on my Yelli, but not being able to drop the post more than 3" really bugged me until I got an adjustable height post.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    This pertains to my interests. Do you have a pic?
    Do you mean a pic of the tensioner set-up or of the drop-outs? In either case I can fire up some pics. After work, for sure.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Good point on the downhill and dropping the seat. I would be happy to see another set of bosses on the bottom of the down tube a la the Yelli. Ability to do epic rides in hot weather without the Camelbak has been huge for me.
    1 Bike Shy of a Full Quiver