Nimble 9 - any news?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Nimble 9 - any news?

Anyone heard any updates?

tl1
    Bicyclist

I was told...

...by Chris Canfield at Canfield Bros. 3-4 more months and $550 when I asked about Nimble 9 status via email on Feb. 18th. Hopefully they'll arrive sooner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    3-4 more months

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Big bummer. Banshee and Sinister are going to sell alot of bikes before then.

Canfield Bikes
    So true, it's really been painful trying to get these built. We had a delivery date of Dec but it keeps getting pushed back. We are 3-4 months out still. We want to make sure it's right, you'll see it when it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Any major changes to spec planned?

Canfield Bikes
    We got rid of the stock sliding dropouts and are making custom dropouts. The dropouts are going to be static at 16.5". The dropouts have been the biggest hang up. Otherwise the same frame. Keep an eye out for the aluminum version! It may come together faster than the 4130. It has a few features that are different than the 4130.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

So is it going to have a eccentric bottom bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    We got rid of the stock sliding dropouts and are making custom dropouts. The dropouts are going to be static at 16.5". The dropouts have been the biggest hang up. Otherwise the same frame. Keep an eye out for the aluminum version! It may come together faster than the 4130. It has a few features that are different than the 4130.
    Or is it going to just be a geared bike now?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, please explain. I was counting on this as a single speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How about Hammerschmitd ready?
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Wow, 16.5 - you've gone super short, and congrats as that sounds super fun.

What width rear tyre will the frame accept now?

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by BCool
    Big bummer. Banshee and Sinister are going to sell alot of bikes before then.
    Ouch
    True though, sitting on a pile of parts in January it was definitely easier to go choose an available frame versus a moving ETA on the Nimble. These sorts of delays are not uncommon in the outsourced production world. Companies are at the mercy of the weld house. Hopefully we see some Nimbles in the wild before interbike
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

AJT
    I like bicycles
    Fart, looks like i'm gonna have to find something else. ARSE

Powered by ice cream.
    We got rid of the stock sliding dropouts and are making custom dropouts. The dropouts are going to be static at 16.5".
    As asked by the two posters above:

Will this bike have some means of tensioning a single speed drivetrain (EBB)?

This is critical to my build and use of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

The Other Dude
    I am a specialized guy, but i really like the looks of the nimble9!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Canfield Bikes
    It will be a geared setup, no EBB or tensioners. At 16.5" CS, it's a 1/4" longer than the shortest setting on the prototype. The best fit for the biggest tires and mud clearance was at 16.5", even fits the Schwalbe tires. Sorry about changing the dropouts for the few that where wanting them. Over the past few months I've seen threads on concerns about the dropouts, do they move, are they reliable and weight. We switched because it was hard to get good sliding dropouts, cost and it has been the thing stopping this frame from getting made. At this point, I just want these bikes built.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It will be a geared setup, no EBB or tensioners. At 16.5" CS, it's a 1/4" longer than the shortest setting on the prototype. The best fit for the biggest tires and mud clearance was at 16.5", even fits the Schwalbe tires. Sorry about changing the dropouts for the few that where wanting them. Over the past few months I've seen threads on concerns about the dropouts, do they move, are they reliable and weight. We switched because it was hard to get good sliding dropouts, cost and it has been the thing stopping this frame from getting made. At this point, I just want these bikes built.
    How about the ISCG tabs? Any chance those will be included?
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry about changing the dropouts for the few that where wanting them
    I could be wrong but I got the impression the dropouts are what helped sell it to lots of people.

A shame :-(

mtbr member
    I still think this will be one cool frame. Great for 1x9 or 2x9 type set ups.

AJT
    I like bicycles
    Oh well that's the last nail in the coffin, sorry guys drop my name from the waiting list
    paradox it is, anybody know of any other steel frame that fit the bill? Short CS, sliding drops or track ends new style geo.?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If anybody thinks that they might want to sell their prototype please send me a PM. Thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If anybody thinks that they might want to sell their prototype please send me a PM.
    There's an idea! I'd be interested too, obviously after BCool. :-)

Powered by ice cream.
    Bummer.

What about track ends?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Bummer.

What about track ends?
    Track ends with the slots for adjustable disk brake mounting... Seems simple enough and burly enough. I don't think people would have a problem using a bolt on rear hub... its not going to be a race bike..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what about changes on the bb-drop?

ride on

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT
    anybody know of any other steel frame that fit the bill? Short CS, sliding drops or track ends new style geo.?
    Nothing off the shelf. Curtlo, ByStickel, Siren, and even DeKerf have already produced frames fitting those criteria. You are in for 6-12 months wait and 2-3X the price of the Nimble though

AJT
    I like bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Nothing off the shelf. Curtlo, ByStickel, Siren, and even DeKerf have already produced frames fitting those criteria. You are in for 6-12 months wait and 2-3X the price of the Nimble though
    Aye I'm almost 6months in on a 18 month wolfhound waiting list, this was gonna be my inbetweener. and Coaching bike but I'm disappointed with the dropout change.

err, 27.5+
    Ah, the Wolfhound. How could I leave Fred off the list My bad. He is more than capable of creating an AM 29er HT.

Group Hug Participant

Tagged for my pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    How about the ISCG tabs? Any chance those will be included?
    This is what I was told yesterday. 2 frames, Chromoly and Aluminum. ISCG tabs will be on the aluminum.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    I could be wrong but I got the impression the dropouts are what helped sell it to lots of people.

A shame :-(
    agreed. it was certainly one of the key selling points for me, and some others I knew who were interested.

however the Paradox seems to be selling ok, so Canfield probably made the right call here in order to get the frame out.

and single speeders (like me...depending on my mood) can run the forward components EBB in any conventional BB shell. so the nimble 9 is still on the list...
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    agreed. it was certainly one of the key selling points for me, and some others I knew who were interested.

however the Paradox seems to be selling ok, so Canfield probably made the right call here in order to get the frame out.

and single speeders (like me...depending on my mood) can run the forward components EBB in any conventional BB shell. so the nimble 9 is still on the list...
    Agreed on all points. I will likely get one or the other either way and figure a way to convert it.

You know, for kids
    What's the latest on these? Still interested here.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Any updates or pics of a production version?

err, 27.5+
    Nimble is dead. There will be a knockoff of the Banshee Paradox (which Pacific already makes). It will be essentially the same as a Paradox, but have the Canfield name on it. Pot stirred

Trophy Husband
    Nimble is dead. There will be a knockoff of the Banshee Paradox (which Pacific already makes). It will be essentially the same as a Paradox, but have the Canfield name on it. Pot stirred
    Pretty much what I thought after reading the email I received from them as well.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    I've seen it... and while it shares the short chainstays with the Paradox there will be no mistaking the bikes for each other out on the trails... they don't even look closely similar...unless you really squint hard from about 100 feet away
    but you can be the judge as I'm sure they'll be out and about shortly and posted up on mtbr.com not to far after.
    One of the dudes working behind the scenes at Banshee.
    Banshee main site and our Blog

WNC Native
    Can you say if it will be steel or AL and what kind of dropouts?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Can you say if it will be steel or AL and what kind of dropouts?
    Their 29er coming out next month is 7005 aluminum. Not positive on dropouts, but I think they will be regular vertical dropouts.

Canfield Bikes

not dead, just delayed.

Good one, haha. I love the missinformed e-clucking. Again, Canfield Brothers design all of our own products.

The aluminum version is done, pushing to get them shipped. It has a vertical QR style dropout, 7005 aluminum frame, direct mount front derailleur, tapered head tube and a 16.7 chainstay. We have a shorter CS, lighter frame and 1 degree slacker head angle than a Paradox. Plus it's a lower stand over and has a quality anodized finish.

Tulsa
    Good one, haha. I love the missinformed e-clucking. Again, Canfield Brothers design all of our own products.

The aluminum version is done, pushing to get them shipped. It has a vertical QR style dropout, 7005 aluminum frame, direct mount front derailleur, tapered head tube and a 16.7 chainstay. We have a shorter CS, lighter frame and 1 degree slacker head angle than a Paradox. Plus it's a lower stand over and has a quality anodized finish.

Nice,
    to early for production frame pictures?
    wherever you go, there you are

poser Administrator

Why the move from Fe to Al? My initial disinterest in the Paradox was reversed with my interest in the Nimble9 due to the material. I thought that an Al frame with such short CS length might be hard on the feet but the Fe might take the edge off some. Plus seems the Fe frame might allow better tire clearance, but that is just speculation.

That said I await a true FR hardtail 29er that I can buy direct without going with one of the beautiful Handmade jobbies.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Why the move from Fe to Al? My initial disinterest in the Paradox was reversed with my interest in the Nimble9 due to the material. I thought that an Al frame with such short CS length might be hard on the feet but the Fe might take the edge off some. Plus seems the Fe frame might allow better tire clearance, but that is just speculation.

That said I await a true FR hardtail 29er that I can buy direct without going with one of the beautiful Handmade jobbies.
    He says an AL version is done, but nowhere does he state that a Steel version will not happen.......maybe a Steel frame is just further down the que a bit.

Maybe those wanting steel will have to be patient just a bit longer.

beater
    It has a vertical QR style dropout, 7005 aluminum frame, direct mount front derailleur, tapered head tube and a 16.7 chainstay. We have a shorter CS, lighter frame and 1 degree slacker head angle than a Paradox. Plus it's a lower stand over and has a quality anodized finish.
    Hmm... Very much looking forward to seeing these.

local trails rider
    Any pics or geometry numbers?

mtbr member

Yeah but the Paradox comes with a free Frogurt and thats good
    but the Frogurt is rotten
    but the Frogurt has peanuts on it
    hehehehe

mtbr member

I was in the same boat as you. A production Fe frame with short chainstays would be perfect. AL does nothing for me.

Oh well, sit back and wait.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

WNC Native

Cool glad it's not dead. If it's done then you can release pics and geometry, correct?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    I was in the same boat as you. A production Fe frame with short chainstays would be perfect. AL does nothing for me.

Oh well, sit back and wait.
    I'm actually happy to see aluminum instead of steel.

There's too much flex in steel frames compared to a nice & stiff aluminum. An aluminum frame should be more responsive which will really be accentuated with the shorter CS.

Nice and low tire pressures handle any harshness/vibration issues.

I'm now interested in hearing more about this frame.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

err, 27.5+

My reply was strictly tongue and cheek. Offensive, but definitely in jest. FWIW, any lack of information comes from how silent CB has been on this. That is definitely worth a bit of prodding from the peanut gallery

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by TerrorFirma
    Yeah but the Paradox comes with a free Frogurt and thats good
    but the Frogurt is rotten
    but the Frogurt has peanuts on it
    hehehehe
    Do you also sell forbidden objects from places men fear to tread?

Canfield Bikes
    We've been quiet about details on the Nimble 9 because we have had quite a few issues trying to get a good steel supplier. We have been through the prototype process with 2 factorys and we are on our third one now. We have great confidence that they will be able to supply us with the quality we demand. Finally we found a good steel company. We'll get some geo and pics up soon.

mtbr member
    We've been quiet about details on the Nimble 9 because we have had quite a few issues trying to get a good steel supplier. We have been through the prototype process with 2 factorys and we are on our third one now. We have great confidence that they will be able to supply us with the quality we demand. Finally we found a good steel company. We'll get some geo and pics up soon.
    I suspect this will make a lot of folks very happy!

29er Geek

AL can ride better than you can imagine. Don't pigeonhole your choice of bike by material before riding it one way, or the other.

By the way, gosh those paradox frames have some interesting geometry
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    Do you also sell forbidden objects from places men fear to tread?
    forbidden AND not-forbidden objects

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    AL can ride better than you can imagine. Don't pigeonhole your choice of bike by material before riding it one way, or the other.

By the way, gosh those paradox frames have some interesting geometry
    I'm curious, what is it about the geometry that's so intereresting?

Serious question, interested to learn. Thanks!

Canfield Bikes
    Its the shorter chainstays than most and the slack head angle (Canfield excepted).

mtbr member
    [quote-larsbaby]I'm curious, what is it about the geometry that's so intereresting?
    [/quote]

Its the shorter chainstays than most and the slack head angle (Canfield excepted).

I think tozovr is referring to the geometry found on the various iterations of the Sinister Simon Bars - which was probably the earliest version of such an "all mountain 29er hardtail" built in "batches" if you will (so not one off custom jobbers). In a sense saying the Simon Bar geometry came first and others have followed.
    Last edited by MMcG; 07-28-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I think tozovr is referring to the geometry found on the various iterations of the Sinister Simon Bars - which was probably the earliest version of such an "all mountain 29er hardtail" built in "batches" if you will (so not one off custom jobbers). In a sense saying the Simon Bar geometry came first and others have followed.
    According to their website the Simon Bar head angle is 71.5 degrees . I'm not sure what a2c that is with, but how is that "all mountain"? BB height with that mystery a2c is 12.7.

For reference, the Paradox is:
    4" fork: HA = 70, BB = 12.1
    5" fork HA = 69, BB = 12.4

Besides being built with similar material and somewhat similar CS lengths (Simon Bar = 16.95, Paradox = 16.8), they appear to have strikingly different geometries.