A Nice XC Rocket in the $2K Range?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

A Nice XC Rocket in the $2K Range?

I have a full squish that I ride most of the time but looking to get an n+1 for PR chasing and race days. Obviously thinking a 29er hardtail is my best bet, priorities being: 1. as light as possible but still burly enough to stand up to my 210#, and 2. modern-ish geometry so I can still have some fun on the the downhills (if it's too steep/aggressive I'll just never want to take it out).

Any recommendations? I don't really stay up on the XC bikes too much and seems like no one really reviews them anymore haha.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Cannondale F-Si is an awesome bike. I raced and rode trails on one for a while before I got into full suspension bikes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Kona Hei Hei

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Scott scale 920

Hard to beat the build/price.

Carbon frame, GX eagle and stepcast fork.

Easy to upgrade and get down under 22 pounds down the road with Carbon wheelset, carbon Cranks, cassettes.

The low hanging fruit:
    Stock steel chainring is 100 grams savings switching to an aluminum absolute black oval.
    Carbon Bar from MT Zoom 80-100g savings
    Lightweight foam grips. 30-50g
    Kabolt front axle 40 grams.

All of these items average less than a $1 per gram saved fo itís good for planning.

The 930 is closer to your price point, but it has a regular fox float. Worse brakes, Shimano freehub and SX cassette. Itís a much worse foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks all! Yea, that Scale 920 is a great package. I have a preference for Shimano but could probably get the LBS to swap out to an 11-spd XT and maybe even upgrade the brakes to XT for the same price. Hmm...

I do like the Cannondale F-Siómy buddy has one and I've put some miles on itóI just don't know if I can buy another Cannondale because I had a BOTE that cracked on me after 1 year.

Hei Hei is a great bike but too close to what I already haveóAlchemy Arktos 29 ST. For my n+1 I'm looking for a full-on hardtail rocket. Something that, if I don't beat my fast friend up a climb, I can't blame the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Follow-up question: do Scott Scales ever go on sale? Do any online retailers carry them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The geo hasn't been updated on the Scale. Look at the reach carefully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Iíve never really understood the big deal with reach, particularly on an XC bike. Iím 6í2Ē and have ridden L bikes, never felt like they were too ďshortĒ or anything like that. What would you say is the major drawback? My Arktos is 20mm longer but 2 degrees slacker STA. That should put the effective reach more or less the same, right? And with an XC bike youíd typically want a bit shorter reach for maneuverability, no? Am I way off?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    XC bikes like the Spark and Top Fuel have replaced hardtail bikes in XCO World Cup racing. Courses are more technical and some rear compliance is faster now. Slacker head tube angles add more downhill speed. Geo is still able to make handling quick.
    Hardtails like the Scale are still used for the flat track sprint events. . . .And then there's wider rims and wider tires. Nino uses 30mm inner rim wheels. This bike has 25mm and 2.25 tires. Watch this guy ride challenging terrain on a SC Chameleon.

If Scott would update the Scale with 2.5 rear tire space and slacker ht> steeper seat tube> with more reach without increasing the price it would be a great choice.

Reach on this bike and the L bikes you've ridden may work when a longer stem of 80-110mm is used. Current geo bikes are designed for 45 + or - stems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

The 920 will handle just like the Exceed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    Iíve never really understood the big deal with reach, particularly on an XC bike. Iím 6í2Ē and have ridden L bikes, never felt like they were too ďshortĒ or anything like that. What would you say is the major drawback? My Arktos is 20mm longer but 2 degrees slacker STA. That should put the effective reach more or less the same, right? And with an XC bike youíd typically want a bit shorter reach for maneuverability, no? Am I way off?
    Yup...you can't just look at the reach alone. If you just looked at reach only and didn't consider the STA...you could end up with a too short ETT and be cramped when seated. With a longer front center bike...your body basically gets shifted forward. The top tubes on some of the long reach bikes are actually getting shorter because of the steep seat tube angles...not longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I hear you on the benefits of FS and slacker bikes, generally. In fact, I just sold a 27+ Chameleon which I loved as a do-it-all, but moved to an area where the local trails are a bit gnarlier so decided to go with the Arktos ST. I seriously considered keeping the Chameleon and potentially making it a little racier, but I figure if Iím gonna have an n+1, I want it to be in a completely different category from my Arktos. If Iím doing anything where a hardtail race bike is going to beat me up too much, Iíll just take the Arktos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks all! Yea, that Scale 920 is a great package. I have a preference for Shimano but could probably get the LBS to swap out to an 11-spd XT and maybe even upgrade the brakes to XT for the same price. Hmm...

I do like the Cannondale F-Siómy buddy has one and I've put some miles on itóI just don't know if I can buy another Cannondale because I had a BOTE that cracked on me after 1 year.

Hei Hei is a great bike but too close to what I already haveóAlchemy Arktos 29 ST. For my n+1 I'm looking for a full-on hardtail rocket. Something that, if I don't beat my fast friend up a climb, I can't blame the bike
    Rocky Mountain Vertex
    https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/vertex/2020

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks but thatís a bit rich for my blood. I know theyíve got one priced at $2,999 but the components arenít great. For that price Canyon gives you GX, a SID, carbon wheels, and 23lbs (for an XL). Thatís tough to beat if spending that much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks but thatís a bit rich for my blood. I know theyíve got one priced at $2,999 but the components arenít great. For that price Canyon gives you GX, a SID, carbon wheels, and 23lbs (for an XL). Thatís tough to beat if spending that much.
    You are correct. Sorry bad suggestion forgot about price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It's all good. I appreciate the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Anyone ridden/have opinions on the 2020 Canhon Exceed? The build on the 7.0 for $2,999 is just insane.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I know itís not one of the big names, but if you can get past the stigma of Walmart, the Viathlon bikes are worth looking at.

https://www.viathonbicycles.com/coll...s/mountain-m-1

If you can fit on a medium, you can get the 2019 X01 for $2k. Otherwise itís the 2020 GX model.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Air9..

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I would of said the Air9 too but for the price point no dropper nx groupset and a judy fork... = meh for me...
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Oh yea, forgot about the Viathon! The builds on those are amazing. Anyone actually ridden one, or seen a quality review? Unfortunately, Iím 6í2Ē so definitely not fitting on a medium. Do you know how often they go on sale? What about open-box deals, do they sell those online or store only? I actually am not so much concerned about a dropper or a 120mm fork, but with how light they still are I guess why the hell not?

Niner is a good call too. Maybe not at retail prices, but one of the big online retailers carries them (CRC maybe?) so I often see good deals.

Iím not in a hurry so Iíll probably sit back and see where the good deals are around August...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just noticed sizing On the Viathon only goes up to L. They say that fits up to 6í2Ē but Iím a bit dubious. Any geo/fit experts have opinions? Iíve got about a 36Ē inseam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    36 inseam-- if that's your riding inseam and not your pants, is pretty long for 6'2". The geo pdf says reach for the L is 439.5. I believe the stem is 70mm. You may fit because of your short torso. 417 reach for a M. Not going to fit you.

There's really no substitute for first hand experience.
    You'll need to work through the steeper and light weight vs slacker geo and wide rim 29 comparison on your trails.

The carbon Chameleon frame has a 67.3* ht> vs 69.5
    Chainstays 415-430 vs 440.
    Reach for a L is 457(probably OK but you'd know from your old bike) XL 487 vs 439.5

If you get that Viathon the components can go to a Cham frame build when they clearance them at the end of season for 30 off.
    Build your own 35-40mm wheelset for 29 x 2.6.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Why would someone build a 35-40MM wheelset for 2.6 on an ďXCĒ rocket?

On a 1900 gram frame?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Why would someone build a 35-40MM wheelset for 2.6 on an ďXCĒ rocket?

On a 1900 gram frame?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapa
    Iím guilty of this. 35mm inner width rims and 2.6 tires. I just prefer bigger tires on the trails I ride/race. Itís possible to still build a bike light enough for racing with a 2.6 setup.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Iím guilty of this. 35mm inner width rims and 2.6 tires. I just prefer bigger tires on the trails I ride/race. Itís possible to still build a bike light enough for racing with a 2.6 setup.

Nice Funk!
    Don't see many of those...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I use 35mm inners with 2.5 tires F/R on my DV9, rides really well, sticks well to the trail and embodies confidence while pushing hard on hard banks. The DV9 is fast to accelerate too and climbs pretty well. Having the fatter tires also absorbs well the harsh terrain... mid-techy stuff it can handle anything more, nope. I weighed it at 25.4lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Nice XC Rocket in the K Range?-48.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post

I think I met you at the race at iron mountain. I raced the race both days.

Definitely not an ideal setup with those wheels. I know because I have them on a bike. This thread title is 2k XC rocket, not 10k dream build titanium bike.

Quote Originally Posted by }{yBr!D^ View Post
    I use 35mm inners with 2.5 tires F/R on my DV9, rides really well, sticks well to the trail and embodies confidence while pushing hard on hard banks. The DV9 is fast to accelerate too and climbs pretty well. Having the fatter tires also absorbs well the harsh terrain... mid-techy stuff it can handle anything more, nope. I weighed it at 25.4lbs.
    That DB9 definitely belongs here. Thatís why I recommended it earlier. That frame is on sale in anXL for under 1000.

Itís burly, 1200 grams.
    68.5 HA with 100mm, 67.5 with 120
    You can source enough deals to build a 22 pound Rocket under 2500, especially if you are just collecting parts throughout the summer.

My hardtail is fine in super tech on an Aspen rear with a grippy front. Definitely makes me an even better rider once back on a Full squish. I like it in extremely technical climbing because itís light like a trails bike. I just put a rigid fork from a Stache on it itís under 19 pounds right now...

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I think I met you at the race at iron mountain. I raced the race both days.

Definitely not an ideal setup with those wheels. I know because I have them on a bike. This thread title is 2k XC rocket, not 10k dream build titanium bike.

That DB9 definitely belongs here. Thatís why I recommended it earlier. That frame is on sale in anXL for under 1000.

Itís burly, 1200 grams.
    68.5 HA with 100mm, 67.5 with 120
    You can source enough deals to build a 22 pound Rocket under 2500, especially if you are just collecting parts throughout the summer.

My hardtail is fine in super tech on an Aspen rear with a grippy front. Definitely makes me an even better rider once back on a Full squish. I like it in extremely technical climbing because itís light like a trails bike. I just put a rigid fork from a Stache on it itís under 19 pounds right now...

Wish I had a DB9 (Aston Martin) lol... all jokes aside, the DV9 would be a solid build for a speed rocket for sure, not sure it will be at that weight point for $2500. Some people would argue a 68 HTA is old school but I like it. It runs well and it's well behaved.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yea good call on the DV9. I sorta have a thing for Ibis too. Where did you see it on sale?

And what would you do for wheels? Any recommendations for something light, reasonably priced, and would hold up to my weight (205 + gear)? I pretty much know where to go on all the other components but donít know much about XC wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Yea good call on the DV9. I sorta have a thing for Ibis too. Where did you see it on sale?

And what would you do for wheels? Any recommendations for something light, reasonably priced, and would hold up to my weight (205 + gear)? I pretty much know where to go on all the other components but donít know much about XC wheels.
    My light bicycle wheels have been super reliable for many years. We have other name brands of wheels and none of them have held up to rolling rocks.

I have a set of these now:
    https://www.dirtcomponents.com/category-s/250.htm

Sorry for not posting the link to ibis earlier.

https://www.backcountry.com/ibis-dv9...RoCf6gQAvD_BwE

Here is a takeoff stepcast I would use on the build:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F402282156778

A guy here had several carbon cranksets for sale for 100. There are lots of deals out there. You can keep it affordable and light by sticking with GX 11 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Gotcha. Thanks. I thought you meant someone had the frames on sale. Just pricing it out in my head, though...with the frame, fork, and wheels Iím up to about $2,200. Add in cranks, drivetrain, brakes, handlebars, grips, stem, headset, bb, seatpost, saddle, tires...seems like it would be hard to put something together for less than ~$3,500, no?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    When I purchased my DV9 it was regularly priced at $999, it then shot up to 1299 at one point in mid-2019 and came back down again to its regular pricing (currently).

I personally love my DV9 but would prefer my Orbea Loki for the twists and more technical stuff... one is a 27.5 (Orbea) and the DV9 is a 29er... Vs the two the Ibis feels more clumsy with the bigger wheelset. Which why now I'm planning on going Mojo 4.

DV9
    Frame - $1000
    Wheelset mentioned above - $700
    Fork - SiD Ultimate SL - 800 (Fox is more expensive)
    GX Eagle Drivetrain - ($545)
    XT Drivetrain - ($400) take your pick lol.
    XT M8100 Brakeset - $310
    I9 50mm Stem - $145
    Carbon Bars - $150
    Ergon GA2 Grips - $30
    Cane Creek 40 series for the DV9 - $55
    Shimano BB - $20
    WTB Rocket Saddle Ti - $117
    LEV Ci Carbon dropper 150mm - $357
    Schwalbe Nobby Nix 2.35 - $138
    Shimano rotors 180mm/160mm- $85

total = $4307 (Shimano Drivetrain)
    total = $4452 (SRAM Drivetrain)

This would be a frame build from the bottom up...

this is a pre-built model from jensonusa... obviously, the bits added on mine are weight conscious...
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...NDYXQxMDAxNjA=

Edit* btw, this is not my DV9's build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    DV9 is a short reach frame aimed at the designers daughter. XL has 462mm. Chainstays are 440mm. This is long. Scale has 425 for quicker turning.

Fox 32 Stepcast has Boost 15x110 axle but steps the stanchions in to take away the wider tire clearance of other Boost forks. Fox didn't do that with the 34 Stepcast. SID doesn't cut clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I appreciate the detailed breakdown! Yea...as much as Iíve always wanted to do a frame-up build, it just never seems to make sense from a financial perspective. Not when I could get a similar build on a canyon or end-of-season Scott, Niner, etc. for probably ~40% less. Every time I buy a new bike I do the math and come to a similar conclusion. But man it would be fun to build something from scratch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Build is the way when you only want specific parts. Most times you already own some of them. Or you can get deals like end of season discount on the frame and a fork. More time and effort. Worth it if you keep a bike several years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Like EB said, building is the way to go if you know the parts you want and Are building a higher end build. The key to many builds is patience, timing and sometimes having access to basic parts bin. Im a nerd and do a cost benefit analysis on dollars vs grams so I donít waste money where I donít need it.

That break down is way more expensive than the way I build, Hybrid.

Here are just some examples of why the below build price is different if it were Me building the bike.

(400) I just posted a 450 new Stepcast.
    I would get a takeoff fork for 350-400. I posted one above. My fox 34 performance elite was $350.
    (200) Iíve never paid that much for brakes unless they are XTR. I can buy XTR for 330 right now. I know of takeoff Level Ultimates for 100. Iíve never paid more than 170 for a pair of XTs
    (25)I use $2 grips. They are 24g
    (100) I use $30 carbon seat
    (75) Nobby Nicís are 35 dollars, you should reconsider where you buy from and always have backups https://www.bike-discount.de/en/schwalbe-nobby-nic
    (100) There is no reason at all to spend money on a stem. I do benefit from living in a big city where you can buy a stem in any length for 30 bucks as people go through their fit.
    (50) mtzoom and many other bars can be had for under 100.
    (250) Although I have a have a 3 carbon droppers, I would just get any appropriate Rigid post for 100 bucks. Thompson, mtzoom, etc
    11 speed is plenty, lighter, and affordable.
    You donít need to get carbon wheelset and there are deals out there.

Parentheses are savings vs your quote.

You end up going over budget when you build, but you get way more bike.

We built up my wifeís Sworks thousands less than the retail and it was far lighter. Itís easier to save that kind of money on expensive builds.

For his case, you CANT beat buying the Scott 920. Or a similar specíd bike.

DV9
    Frame - $1000
    Wheelset mentioned above - $700
    Fork - SiD Ultimate SL - 800 (Fox is more expensive)
    GX Eagle Drivetrain - ($545)
    XT Drivetrain - ($400) take your pick lol.
    XT M8100 Brakeset - $310
    I9 50mm Stem - $145
    Carbon Bars - $150
    Ergon GA2 Grips - $30
    Cane Creek 40 series for the DV9 - $55
    Shimano BB - $20
    WTB Rocket Saddle Ti - $117
    LEV Ci Carbon dropper 150mm - $357
    Schwalbe Nobby Nix 2.35 - $138
    Shimano rotors 180mm/160mm- $85

total = $4307 (Shimano Drivetrain)
    total = $4452 (SRAM Drivetrain)

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Like EB said, building is the way to go if you know the parts you want and Are building a higher end build. The key to many builds is patience, timing and sometimes having access to basic parts bin. Im a nerd and do a cost benefit analysis on dollars vs grams so I donít waste money where I donít need it.

That break down is way more expensive than the way I build, Hybrid.

Here are just some examples of why the below build price is different if it were Me building the bike.

(400) I just posted a 450 new Stepcast.
    I would get a takeoff fork for 350-400. I posted one above. My fox 34 performance elite was $350.
    (200) Iíve never paid that much for brakes unless they are XTR. I can buy XTR for 330 right now. I know of takeoff Level Ultimates for 100. Iíve never paid more than 170 for a pair of XTs
    (25)I use $2 grips. They are 24g
    (100) I use $30 carbon seat
    (75) Nobby Nicís are 35 dollars, you should reconsider where you buy from and always have backups https://www.bike-discount.de/en/schwalbe-nobby-nic
    (100) There is no reason at all to spend money on a stem. I do benefit from living in a big city where you can buy a stem in any length for 30 bucks as people go through their fit.
    (50) mtzoom and many other bars can be had for under 100.
    (250) Although I have a have a 3 carbon droppers, I would just get any appropriate Rigid post for 100 bucks. Thompson, mtzoom, etc
    11 speed is plenty, lighter, and affordable.
    You donít need to get carbon wheelset and there are deals out there.

Parentheses are savings vs your quote.

You end up going over budget when you build, but you get way more bike.

We built up my wifeís Sworks thousands less than the retail and it was far lighter. Itís easier to save that kind of money on expensive builds.

For his case, you CANT beat buying the Scott 920. Or a similar specíd bike.

I believe i just got schooled, heh. I just through something together in a pinch. I'm way more selective and take my time to purchase parts. I am planning a mojo 4 build which I will be spacing purchases accordingly, maybe not as sophisticated as your dollar/gram formula... I would be interested in see this... Is it on a spreadsheet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I really appreciate the input from both of you! FJ I think youíve talked me into doing a custom build. Itís on my bucket list, so gotta do it at some point. DV9 is why Iím thinking. Seems like the best mix of light, excellent acceleration, nimble, but still capable enough to have some fun on the downhills. Not that Iíve had the chance to ride one, but thatís my sense from reading a bunch of reviews.

Iíll go take-offs and/or clearance bin on all the parts. Thinking....

- 120 SID (should I do 100?)
    - XT 1x11 drivetrain
    - XT brakes
    - whatever carbon wheels I can find a deal on
    - and pretty much the same for everything elseósee what I can find deals on

Iím targeting about $2.500-2,700 all in and somewhere in the neighborhood of 23lbs for an XL. You think those targets are realistic?

What do yíall think on tires? Rekon, Rocket Ron, Aspen? Iím sorta partial to Maxxis just based on having some Schwalbes I really didnít like in the past.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I put together a quick spreadsheet. A lot of rough numbers and estimates, but looks like I'm into about the $3,300 range all in, and comfortably under 23 lbs. Any thoughts/corrections/insights appreciated!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I really appreciate the input from both of you! FJ I think youíve talked me into doing a custom build. Itís on my bucket list, so gotta do it at some point. DV9 is why Iím thinking. Seems like the best mix of light, excellent acceleration, nimble, but still capable enough to have some fun on the downhills. Not that Iíve had the chance to ride one, but thatís my sense from reading a bunch of reviews.

Iíll go take-offs and/or clearance bin on all the parts. Thinking....

- 120 SID (should I do 100?)
    - XT 1x11 drivetrain
    - XT brakes
    - whatever carbon wheels I can find a deal on
    - and pretty much the same for everything elseósee what I can find deals on

Iím targeting about $2.500-2,700 all in and somewhere in the neighborhood of 23lbs for an XL. You think those targets are realistic?

What do yíall think on tires? Rekon, Rocket Ron, Aspen? Iím sorta partial to Maxxis just based on having some Schwalbes I really didnít like in the past.

Thanks!
    To keep your build on budget, I would take whatever fork you can get at the right price point. Look at the stepcast I posted. Itís mid 1400s on weight and will really drive build weight down and be super reliable. I had the opportunity to buy a takeoff SID Carbon brain fork off of a 2019 Epic just last week for $100. Get on the local Facebook mountain biking groups!

I would also look for deals on Aluminum wheels. Going carbon out of the gates will likely put you at around 3K in your build. Even if itís an i9 aluminum 101 setup, or something from E13. Wheels are the hardest part of the equation. They will crash your budget, and are kind of a pain to look for. But expanding your budget to accommodate carbon wheels from the start will save you trouble down the road. Iím not sure what your home life situation is and if you will start having to answer questions about all of these parts being delivered

My hardtail was first built at 23 pounds with fresh GX 11s drivetrain (XX1 cassette). I went super budget/weight conscious with X9 crank, free aluminum bars and stem. Aluminum wheelset off my other bike. Thompson elite seatpost. I used a new XTC frame I bought for $750. I have since migrated carbon wheelset and carbon cranks off a bike that has been sold and added giant carbon handlebars for $70.

Spreadsheet it out with deals you have found to make sure you can pull it off on budget. Iím happy to provide the links to the pieces I have already mentioned.

I believe i just got schooled, heh. I just through something together in a pinch. I'm way more selective and take my time to purchase parts. I am planning a mojo 4 build which I will be spacing purchases accordingly, maybe not as sophisticated as your dollar/gram formula... I would be interested in see this... Is it on a spreadsheet?

What you did was a lot of work and very helpful. It demonstrates well why most people get priced out of a build vs buy.

You also did a great job of outlining the smaller parts that eat up the cost savings people may think they are getting.

Cable housing, headsets, BBs. Also if you donít already own the tools, grease, assembly past, cable cutters, have the ability to install anything pressfit, have the ability to bleed brakes after trimming and internal routing. you will quickly price yourself out and add an easy 400 bucks. And then there is the time and question of is it something you actually enjoy doing?

I just use excel. In each category, I put the cost, the weight, and decide where to best spend the money on weight savings ďat firstĒ. I can always upgrade and migrate parts to the bike. Itís also easier to ask for things like Kabolts, and carbon bars for reasonable Christmas presents

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I just threw something together for the sake of comparison, I initially purchased my DV9 from CC as a custom build, not prebuilt from Ibis which totalled $4345 which came out cheaper (at the time) than Ibis.

Since then the DV9 has evolved, sold the old parts in-place of the new which was mainly the groupset and brakes, stem, bars, and a road/gravel wheelset. I did the same with my other bike the Loki, but I bought that one prebuilt with cheap brakes and an SLX groupset sold everything and rebuilt it to GX Eagle spec for my wife (which was the initial intended use but she rejected the idea overtime), sold everything again and made it mine... just re-ded the groupset with all the sold parts.

The Mojo 4 will be a different animal which I plan on building it from the ground up slowly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Now Iím waffling haha. I do enjoy wrenching on bikes. And Iíve done nearly everything involved in building a bike at some point or another, so Iím confident in my ability to do it. What Iím not as confident in, and donít enjoy as much, is making sure every component is perfectly compatible and I have all the right toolsóthe first time. Iím afraid those two factors are going to end up adding hundreds of dollars and multiple weeks of build time, and come August Iíll have a half-built bike and then see something pop up on clearance at Jenson/CRC/PBS with similar component spec for 30% cheaper and brand new. I think Iíd end up regretting going the build route at that point...

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Everything loses its value, my friend. My bike priced at its current state is near the 10K mark (with the added parts after the fact) and if I were to resell it or compare components with what's out in the market it's value already depreciated, unfortunately. Luckily for me, I plan to keep this bike, due to sentimental values (first REAL MTB) and I had a blast building it to what it's at now. Same thing with the Loki/Laufey and most likely I'd do the same with the Mojo 4. Maybe in 5 years, I'd consider selling one of em, just not the DV9 lol.

Nothing is futureproofed so, you can't go into this investment thinking like that, then you will never move forward with your project. Your end-game is to have fun, so do so with the build and ride the snot out of it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    What Iím not as confident in, and donít enjoy as much, is making sure every component is perfectly compatible and I have all the right toolsóthe first time.
    I converted a road bike a few months ago to a new gear setup - bike parts $1000, tools $300. Sadly its not until you go to use the tool that you realise the existing one doesn't fit.

All part of the game I afriad.

The only thing I wouldn't be confident of (as I'm never done it) is the suspension - thats scary, and truing wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks, Hybrid. So do you love your DV9? Do you think it gives up anything in uphill speed to something like a Canyon/F-Si/Scale, given the slightly more aggressive geo and fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Spreadsheet it out with deals you have found to make sure you can pull it off on budget. Iím happy to provide the links to the pieces I have already mentioned.
    If you could provide those links I'd really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks, Hybrid. So do you love your DV9? Do you think it gives up anything in uphill speed to something like a Canyon/F-Si/Scale, given the slightly more aggressive geo and fork?
    I wouldn't be able to compare the bikes, all I can say the bike ca put down the speed and is an effective climber. I use mine for both smooth singletrack and road/gravel since I run two wheelsets.