Nice day to have a BLIZZARD!- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Nice day to have a BLIZZARD!

Man, I got the new bike built up last night, so of course the temps dropped and a storm blew in. Booooooooo!

I do like the fat gold rope of a chain though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering couch patato
    Sorry, I'm not compassionate. I just got rained wet on a windy urban a-to-b. Like I have all "winter".

I can see why you needed a new bike, it's totally different from the one you already had :-/
    Different gearing perhaps? ;-)

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I can see why you needed a new bike, it's totally different from the one you already had :-/
    Different gearing perhaps? ;-)
    Har! I wanted the little Reynold's 853 sticker I guess. Ehhh, I've done sillier things...

In FTF We Trust
    Sorry, I'm not compassionate. I just got rained wet on a windy urban a-to-b. Like I have all "winter".
    Jeez, you guys better stay the hell out of Montana. We've had snow since October/November, will have it until April/May, and it was -22 degrees when I left for work this morning. Just feeling sorry for myself since we had a bike race scheduled tomorrow but it looks like it might get called due to the cold .

Nice bike btw Nat. I'm digging the chain too, what is it, a KMC?
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Recovering couch patato
    I was like you once. Had 2 VooDoo Bokors (still do, somewhere). One was built up "race light", one "budget light". Seemed like a great idea at the time, training on an identical frame as I raced, and wear out cheaper parts in the process.
    Did you ever record the weight difference between the frames? What else is different? BB height should be identical with that EBB at 12 o'clock :-).

Nat
    mtbr member
    I was like you once. Had 2 VooDoo Bokors (still do, somewhere). One was built up "race light", one "budget light". Seemed like a great idea at the time, training on an identical frame as I raced, and wear out cheaper parts in the process.
    Did you ever record the weight difference between the frames? What else is different? BB height should be identical with that EBB at 12 o'clock :-).
    I don't really get into putting parts on a scale, but I just go by published weights. The Niner frame is supposed to be a pound lighter. I discovered that an Avid 180mm rotor won't fit on the Niner (my first paint scratch, yayyy!).

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Jeez, you guys better stay the hell out of Montana. We've had snow since October/November, will have it until April/May, and it was -22 degrees when I left for work this morning. Just feeling sorry for myself since we had a bike race scheduled tomorrow but it looks like it might get called due to the cold .

Nice bike btw Nat. I'm digging the chain too, what is it, a KMC?
    How's that joke go?
    Q: "How many seasons are there in Montana?"
    A: "Winter and 4th of July."

It's a KMC Z410
    http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=311&page=1

I picked up a red one too, and it's sparkly metalflake. Wild! Only $10 a pop too! That's almost free. I've been using PC58's up until now, so it's my first 1/8" chain.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    How's that joke go?
    Q: "How many seasons are there in Montana?"
    A: "Winter and 4th of July."
    That hits a little close to home, I've actually seen snow on the 4th of July here, oh well. That chain's *****in, I didn't realize anybody made colored chains other than wipperman nowadays. I always wanted a "crazy chain"-one of those rainbow colored chains (Tioga maybe?) in the ol' BMX days. I'll have to try figure out what I can make one of those work on (Maybe the Monocog 29er).
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Please be sure to give a detailed ride report and compairison between those nice bikes. Interested to know if there's really much difference in the ride.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Please be sure to give a detailed ride report and compairison between those nice bikes. Interested to know if there's really much difference in the ride.
    You got it. I was hoping to get in some ride time today, but Mommy Nature put me in time out.

mtbr member
    Are you going to keep both or evaluate the two rides and let one go?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Are you going to keep both or evaluate the two rides and let one go?
    "Keeping" is such a relative term...I typically get a new bike once or twice per year then sell the "old" one.

I'm planning to keep both of these (for now) and will be selling the Rig once I get it cleaned up.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    You got it. I was hoping to get in some ride time today, but Mommy Nature put me in time out.

Not to poke, but are you in a timeout due to the amount of snow in the picture posted? I could see if it was 2 feet or something but thats nuthin, put on the wooleys and go ride!=

mtbr member
    nice bikes .what bars are on those ?i cant tell from the pics.

mtbr member

5* 2" fresh sittin on 8inches of breakable crust

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Not to poke, but are you in a timeout due to the amount of snow in the picture posted? I could see if it was 2 feet or something but thats nuthin, put on the wooleys and go ride!=
    If it was 2 feet it would be easier to ride, right now you can go about 10feet break thru, walk, got on ice, ride for 10 feet, break thru, walk. I'm going to mexico next year. Nice ride Nat How was horse butte?
    Wade

Where's Toto?
    I rode this morning for 1-1/2 hours. It was 13 degrees and a blustery Kansas wind - wind chill of -5 degrees. I wouldn't let a little snow stop me from getting on the new bike and letting it rip. Go ride!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Yeah, it's not the amount of snow (because there's not that much) but the frigid cold and wind that's stopping me. Pics never do it justice. Brrrrrrrrr!

I hear ya, it's tough to be doing 20mph with no generated body heat yet, that's why I'd rather XC ski this time of year, but with the winter we've had that's less likely than usual, so I just freeze my a$$ off and ride anyway. By the way, I didn't say it before, sweet new rig!=

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yeah, it's not the amount of snow (because there's not that much) but the frigid cold and wind that's stopping me. Pics never do it justice. Brrrrrrrrr!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vulture
    If it was 2 feet it would be easier to ride, right now you can go about 10feet break thru, walk, got on ice, ride for 10 feet, break thru, walk. I'm going to mexico next year. Nice ride Nat How was horse butte?
    Wade
    Hey Wade,

Horse Butte was okay. The ground was firm but choppy from horse prints. We only got about a mile before we ran into snow across the trail, and it was that crusty snow on top of ice so it wasn't all that much fun to ride over/through. It was nice to get out at all though.

You and Rio were funny: "There will be no eating healthy food tonight! Your mom's the vegetarian!"

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    nice bikes .what bars are on those ?i cant tell from the pics.
    4H -- His and Hers H and H.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Man, I got the new bike built up last night, so of course the temps dropped and a storm blew in. Booooooooo!

I do like the fat gold rope of a chain though.
    Great looking bikes.

I'll happily trade you our cold, sunny weather for your cold snowy weather. It's been sunny here in Portland for what...a week now? I can't take it anymore! Give me back my winter rain (so I know Hood is getting fresh snow.) I never thought I'd be so happy living in a rainy city. I want it back.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

Really I am that slow

My ride

My ride home last night at 3:30am in Denver was a balmey -9 without windchill.... wends it was 65....

Colorado weather keeps me on my toes for sure. Very nice looking bikes....
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Cold

It was -3 for my ride home. The wind chill was about -16 in Denver.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunk
    It was -3 for my ride home. The wind chill was about -16 in Denver.
    Nice work. I had my goggles on too, but when it's really cold I wear a snowboarding helmet with toasty earflaps and closeable vents. I pretty much dress as if I'm headed up to the ski mountain.

Where's Toto?
    Gotta get some of those goggles. Glasses were not doing me any good yesterday and I ended up taking them off. I used to wear a pair of ski gogs when I rode in Chicago winters - a great way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    [QUOTE=Grunk]It was -3 for my ride home. The wind chill was about -16 in Denver.

/[QUOTE]I knew there was a reason I live in NC...70degrees yesterday and the day before.....

What day are we riding?

Get back to work...

You are supposed to be too busy to put together another bike. Interested to hear you compare the EBB to the sliders and see if you like the EBB better than on the Rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yall are making me feel like a big wuss. Here you are riding in snow and sub zero temps and I am complaining about not getting to ride my new bike because 32 is too cold. Shame on me!
    Get on your bikes and ride!

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    Yall are making me feel like a big wuss. Here you are riding in snow and sub zero temps and I am complaining about not getting to ride my new bike because 32 is too cold. Shame on me!
    That's what I'm saying, heheh!
    Is it even safe for your lungs to ride in less than zero degree temps?? That is my concern. And I don't want to hurt my chain... (joke)

Nat- awsome ride. Really looking forward to your ride report(s).

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    That's what I'm saying, heheh!
    Is it even safe for your lungs to ride in less than zero degree temps?? That is my concern. And I don't want to hurt my chain... (joke)

Nat- awsome ride. Really looking forward to your ride report(s).

OGG
    I got in about 6 miles yesterday in very cold but sunny weather. It was too soon to really tell how the bike rides since I was on choppy snow the whole time and ended up walking a lot, but I could already detect that it is very supple and springy.

I like how well riding in snow cleans the tires and makes them all dark black like new.

Nov 2005
    Yep, Tioga Crazy Chian. I'm running one on my Azonic Steelhead. Still have a few left in my secret stash.

Where's Toto?
    Now go ride like a girl...in the cold. From "Up in Alaska" blog --- check out the winter mileage to date. I'm ashamed.

http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0