NEWBIE thinking of going 29er!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. NEWBIE thinking of going 29er!

Hi,

I have read a lot of the discussions within this forum, etc. I am seriously considering building up 29er. Not sure yet if I will go SS or gears. I currently own a 26 in steel SS and an Ibis Silk Ti (truly awesome bike)...both bikes are awesome. For the most part, I keep up or lead the weekly rides within my area, except for a few technical sections, which requires me to slow down a bit to slice through, while they float over. They also dust me on some of the bumpy fire roads. I was thinking of get a squishy bike, but that is not really my style. I think a hardtail 29er will suit most of my needs. I have looked in my area for bike shops that would let me evaluate 29er on the trail.... none exist. So I need to go on personal opinion and have a few questions.

Can anyone try estimate the vertical compliance of 29er compared to a 26 inch squishy bike? Am I making the right move for the 29er?

If you made the switch from a FS to 29er, please tell me your experience.

Thanks for your time,

Jamie

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    I currently own a 26 in steel SS and an Ibis Silk Ti (truly awesome bike)...both bikes are awesome.
    Why not get a Silk Ti 29er and get it over with?
    FS: Everything

Recovering couch patato
    The compliance is a bit like sweet steel vs. cheap straight gauge alu, fork fork and frame, or like hardtail vs. softtail.
    Enough for my buddy to complain when he trails me, that I sit still while he bumps off his seat, even with wider 26" tires than my 29"ers.
    It will still be a hardtail, but a very soft one. But of course, there's alu and steel within 29" as well.

Post from what area you are in a seperate thread title, and looking for a 29" demo bike and appr. size, with so many members on here, there just might be someone that'll go back to 26" for a day, swapping with your Silk Ti.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski