Newb question on fork replacement- Mtbr.com
    two wheel whore

Newb question on fork replacement

I picked up a Redline D440 so I could get a little taste of the 29 stuff. After 3 rides, although the bike is generally faster (or it seems so) than my 26'd Big Sur, it's the downhills that kill me. I can't hang at the speeds I do with the Sur. It's almost as if the rigid fork is causing me to go out of control over all the roots, stumps, drops, etc.

So now I'm looking for a used front end suspension for this thing. It's geo correct so it can handle a suspension fork (right?), but I'm wondering how much steerer tube I need. I know that used forks have these cut to the owner's preference, so I need to be aware of this when I buy one. Any help is appreciated. FYI, the Redline is stock in the head area.

Former Bike Wrench
    Pulling a rigid fork off takes about 2-3min...take yours out and measure the steerer (include the headset race height). Then you'll know exactly what you need including the spacers you use.

Rider and Wrench
    Where have you been and how did you learn how to ride a bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I Just wish I could ride more!

two wheel whore
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Pulling a rigid fork off takes about 2-3min...take yours out and measure the steerer (include the headset race height). Then you'll know exactly what you need including the spacers you use.
    Thanks for the reply.

Rider and Wrench
    Just a suggestion to help get you started but -You can get an 08' and prior Reba for a decent price online ([email protected]) now that the 09'-10' versions are out with a lot of changes- but if you are looking to keep it cheap they are fairly reliable and very tunable and as far as I am aware you can adjust all of them to either 80mm or 100mm- so it will work for your frame/taste by simply removing a spacer. ($200-250 average in good shape).

I had an 07', 08', 09' Reba and my brother still runs the 07 with no issues- though not the stiffest it works. I also ran a Manitou which was nice but not easy to find for cheap with the absolute feature or lock out- Fox is gonna be $350+ but is a very nice fork.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

two wheel whore
    Thanks for the tip. I'm not going to dump too much money into this bike, a sub-$300 fork would do me just fine; I don't mind if it's coil sprung. I think I've caught the 29er bug and am looking forward to building an EMD9 or a G2 over the winter.

Members who have read this thread: 0