New XC Bike Decision, Intense Sniper XC Elite or Canyon Lux Pro Race?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

New XC Bike Decision, Intense Sniper XC Elite or Canyon Lux Pro Race?

Iíve got it narrowed to these two, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Intense, no question.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Intense, no question.
    This.

The Intense, now that they've fixed the upper link problem, is going to be my next bike.
    Death from Below.

Hitching a ride
    Lots of options in this category. Why those two?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    They both have the components I was looking for and compared to most other brands they were much cheaper because of the direct to consumer sales. Iíve always had Cannondale or Trek in the past but for an equal bike it would be $2000 more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Iíve been following the Intense thread too, it appears theyíve resolved that problem. I contacted them and they have updated 2020 models coming in November.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    This.

The Intense, now that they've fixed the upper link problem, is going to be my next bike.
    The 120/120? Or 100/120?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I too am interested in the Sniper with SL frame. We're all looking for that perfect bike, and so there are a couple things n particular I want / need; being 210 lbs, I am leaning toward the Sniper Trail with the new stiffer rear which is coming. The 34 fork will clearly be better for me so I'd like that. I also like to race XC occasionally, and the slacker geo of the Trail seems a bit much for XC. I like the dropper, like the brand, and own a Primer w a very light build and love it but want another XC bike. So I'm a bit torn between the XC and Trail Sniper frame-set. I wish the Trail was more like a 67.5 HTA with a 34 fork. With my parts I'll be using and wheels, I think I can likely land around 24.5 lbs with a dropper and the 34 fork. That would kind of be my dream bike. Any suggestions would be great...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I too am interested in the Sniper with SL frame. We're all looking for that perfect bike, and so there are a couple things n particular I want / need; being 210 lbs, I am leaning toward the Sniper Trail with the new stiffer rear which is coming. The 34 fork will clearly be better for me so I'd like that. I also like to race XC occasionally, and the slacker geo of the Trail seems a bit much for XC. I like the dropper, like the brand, and own a Primer w a very light build and love it but want another XC bike. So I'm a bit torn between the XC and Trail Sniper frame-set. I wish the Trail was more like a 67.5 HTA with a 34 fork. With my parts I'll be using and wheels, I think I can likely land around 24.5 lbs with a dropper and the 34 fork. That would kind of be my dream bike. Any suggestions would be great...
    Just spit ballin': can the Sniper headtube accept a Works Components -1 headset, and turn it around for a +1?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Just spit ballin': can the Sniper headtube accept a Works Components -1 headset, and turn it around for a +1?
    Interested in that idea. Perhaps Iíll ask Cody & Intense. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That is good that theyíre fixing the flexy back end, need to see it to believe it but theyíll probably do it .... course itíll get heavier.

The SC34 fork is pretty darn good, highly recommended if you donít need more than 120mm travel.

So about the geo, the Sniper is an XC bike, thatís how theyíre designed. If you want a more progressive all mountain geo in an XC styled bike, youíll need to look at bikes like the SB130, new Ripley, Trail Pistol, etc ....

The penalty is 1-2# depending on the frame comparisons, but you get more frame, etc .... might be better than putting lipstick on the Sniper.

Personally, I wouldnít buy a bike and add an angleset, it just makes more sense to get a frame that fits your needs from the git go. FYI, an angleset will increase stack by 10mm, so plan for that.

I am/was in your shoes, bought a Fezzari Signal Peak, rode it as a 130/120 all mountain, changed it to a 120/120, found it to be exactly what it is: an XC bike.

I tried to make it an all mountain lightweight flier ... it definitely fit the lightweight flier part, but not really all mountain. So Iím building a lightweight Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol, which gets me a more robust frame and better trail geo.

But if XC is your calling, Iíll cut you a deal on my Signal Peak 😊
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New XC Bike Decision, Intense Sniper XC Elite or Canyon Lux Pro Race?

I want an XC bike and have owned several including Epic SW WC that weíre super steep and the newer gen 2018 but it was an HT and Iím looking for another FS. I actually donít want super slack and want it steeper than the Sniper Trail and so Iím good with 68 or 67.5. Considering a Spark also but want it fairly light and maybe a 34. My weight expectations are realistic around 24.5 with XTR SPD and cage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I want an XC bike and have owned several including Epic SW WC that weíre super steep and the newer gen 2018 but it was an HT and Iím looking for another FS. I actually donít want super slack and want it steeper than the Sniper Trail and so Iím good with 68 or 67.5. Considering a Spark also but want it fairly light and maybe a 34. My weight expectations are realistic around 24.5 with XTR SPD and cage
    My XC endurance race bike is a Kona Hei Hei CR/DL 100/120 with a Fox 34 and a 68 HTA. I'm 6'3" 210lbs, cat 1 racer. It's super quick, the steering is plenty snappy. I honestly don't think 1 degree slacker would be a bad thing and it wouldn't hold you back on a race course.

The Sniper Trail at 120/120 would be plenty sporty IMO, and quite unlikely to change the outcome of a race in a negative way for bigger guys like us. Plus it will be way more fun than a purebred XC 100/100 race bike IMO.

Just my $.02. Everyones preferences are different though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hard to compare the bikes, I would say both are designed for different purposes.

The intense sits on the trail side of the XC race bike where as the canyon is more a world cup/ marathon (thinking Cape Epic style) XC race bike. Which bike, really depends on what kind of racing you are doing and to a certain extent your own skill level.

If you can test ride both bikes I would suggest picking two different test loops. Pick one that is fast and technically easy, pick a second one that quite a bit more technical. Ride both bikes at pace and get a feel for their strengths and weakness. Then make you choice.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine