NEW WTB tire info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

NEW WTB tire info

I just got off the phone with WTB. I was going to order some 29er tires, but found out some interesting information. I was going to order the wire beat Motos and Exis since those are the ones that work tubeless. I was informed that the wire bead 29er tires are no longer made by WTB. The sales person told me that they ONLY make the 29er tires in folding Aramid bead. I mentioned the issues with the folding beads breaking/failing and was told that problem was '2years old' and that the Aramid beads have solved that problem.

I did not order anything since I'm not sure what to take from this conversation. Is anyone using the folding/Aramid bead tubeless? Stan's site still says that only the Wire bead WTB tires are recommended for use with his system. I'm perplexed that the information I got from the horse's mouth (WTB) is counter to that which I got from reading this board; namely, that they were only making the Steel bead 29er tires at this point and had stopped production of folding bead.

Please chime in if you've got any information as I'd like to order these tires ASAP.

Quite confused...

Jeremy

TomOneTi
    Oct 2005
    I'm running new ExiWolf folding for about a month now. Running tubes, not stan's at 30 psi and haven't had any problems so far. I would run them with stan's if I thought I could but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Not for use with tubeless systems.

I believe WTB has it printed on the sidewalls of some of their tires.

Harmonius Wrench

They were gone, now they are back!

This is something that goes back a year now. About this time last year, WTB suspended all production of 29", folding bead tires. They did that for two reasons. First of all, they were failing WITH tubes! And, of course, they were failing as tubless tires, which they were never designed to be. WTB promised at that time that they would re-enter production of 29", folding bead tires after the problems were resolved. They did this, I believe, last summer.

Now, WTB has always had issues with you guys that insist on doing the tubeless conversions on their tires. They do mark the tires with a warning not to do the tubeless conversion. Perhaps now that they realize that people are not going to stop, even though there are warning labels, they are taking away the wire beaded tires, because they are the ones getting converted. I don't know this for a fact, but it would not surprise me.

I saw a WTB rep at FrostBike in Minneapolis last February. I'll have to see if I can track him down again this year and get the scoop.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Now, WTB has always had issues with you guys that insist on doing the tubeless conversions on their tires.
    Not much of a reason to use WTB tires if you can't run 'em tubeless... By the time my wire-beaded Nano's wear out, I expect there will be other manufacturer's ready with tubeless tires...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    Not much of a reason to use WTB tires if you can't run 'em tubeless... By the time my wire-beaded Nano's wear out, I expect there will be other manufacturer's ready with tubeless tires...
    From what I've seen, the Kevlar or Aramid or whatever folding bead WTBs have not been proven reliable when set up as tubeless. I guess those running tubeless are going to have to scrape up the existing wire bead WTBs or go to Ignitors or Mythos or other more-or-less successful folding beads (how many others are there besides these couple I mentioned?).

It's too bad, but I guess we brought it on ourselves. I just wish they'd strengthen the beads so they'd be usable as tubeless. I'm sure it's not as easy as it seems, but still...

I guess it's one more reason for us to hope and wish for a 29er tubeless standard. I hate flats and tubeless setups nearly eliminate them from my rides. I know I'm not alone here...

Jeremy

Members who have read this thread: 0