New Tire Decision, Crossmark or Racing Ralph- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New Tire Decision, Crossmark or Racing Ralph

I am considering doing a Crossmark or a Racing Ralph 2.25 Snake Skin for my Epic 29er. What do you guys recommend for a good cross country tire and which one of these tires have less rolling resistance? I do some racing and ride in all kinds of conditions including, hardpack, very sandy sections, some rocky, and some rocks over hardpack. I currently am riding the Saguaro's and have been very happy with them but don't feel like they roll that fast. What are your thoughts?
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've used both, I like the Racing Ralph better. Probably equal rolling resistance, but I think the Racing Ralph has better all around performance. Better traction, more compliant ride, sets up tubeless easily, better front tire, cooler name, euro, etc. However, I prefer the Racing Ralph 2.4 or Rocket Ron 2.25 for a front tire (which is what I am currently running with the Racing Ralph rear).

Mudder
    Racing Ralph

Mudder
    Or maxxis aspens are real nice too. plenty of grips and real fast.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I've spent a fair bit of time on both, and, for me, the Ralph wins hands-down. They both roll comparably. The Ralphs give me a lot more confidence in cornering and braking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

racing ralph snake skin

Get the Racing Ralph Snake Skin, it has thicker sidewall compared to the regular RR. It has good rolling resistance and fast...and once in awhile I lost traction when I'm climbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If I go the Racing Ralph it will definitely be the Snake Skin. It looks like everyone really like theirs?
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i just went from crossmarks to 2.25 snakeskin racing ralphs. i only have one decent length and one fairly short ride on them but so far i am liking them considerably more than the crossmarks. roll about the same maybe a hair faster, more traction overall, more cush (im fully rigid). btw both tires were run with tubes and i also had the rear crossmark backwards for more climbing traction

Mudder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdrnizd
    If I go the Racing Ralph it will definitely be the Snake Skin. It looks like everyone really like theirs?

I have the snakeskins and love them, just good peace of mind to have the extra side wall protection for not much more weight

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I vote for Conti Race Kings. Hard to beat when you can buy two for the price of one RR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Have any of you ran the Geax Saguaro's? If so how do the RR's compare in rolling resistance?
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have not tried ignitors but the RRs have been very good for me, the snakeskin is the way to go, more durable and way easier to set up tubeless. I currently have a RR front and Race King rear and this is a nice fast combo

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slalomnorth65
    I have the snakeskins and love them, just good peace of mind to have the extra side wall protection for not much more weight
    Yep, just learned this one the hard way.

Yesterday my new (~6 to 8 rides) 2.4 Racing Ralph popped with a 1" long rip in the sidewall.. This was on the front. I am not hard on sidewalls, either. I've been riding for 12 years, and have only had one other sidewall ever give out, and that was on an old, very worn out rear tire. The Racing Ralph was OK while it lasted, but with tax/shipping that comes out to something like $8 - $10 a ride. Race day only tire, IMO. I've been running the 2.25 snakeskin on the rear for about 10 rides. It is pretty large, and the sidewalls feel a little thicker.

I think the Ra Ra works great in the rear, but it was kind of sketchy for me in the front, I'm actually glad to have a reason to replace it. Fine on clean, dry hardpack, but anything wet or lose on top and it cornered terribly, and I found it terrible at holding a line in the rougher stuff. I think I lost control of the front end more in those 6-8 rides with the Ra Ra than the previous year or so with the Nevegal that was on there previously. I guess I am just not cut out for these minimal tread tires up front.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slalomnorth65
    Or maxxis aspens are real nice too. plenty of grips and real fast.

Major +1 on the Aspens. That said, like all 120 TPI casing tires, they are more likely to get a sidewall tear...

JDZ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    not sure the rr snakeskin is that great for tubeless. got a sidewall tear this weekend. it did last all spring and most of the summer tubeless so maybe i'm asking too much but there is still plenty of tread left. i may just give up on rear tubeless after ripping the rr, a crossmark, and two python tr's within two years. the geax tnt look much more durable in the sidewalls but they are too tight for stan's rims which is the problem for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Another +1 on the Aspens. I took a chance and put one up front for Leadville. It rolled like a dream and was awesome on the Columbine downhill. Considered the crossmark but went with the Aspen for the weight advantage and couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    RR Snake tubeless great in back, but I agree with Kapusta that it's sketchy up front. On loose over hardpack ("kitty litter"), it is MAJOR sketchy.

Tried a Bonty 29-3 up front for the second endurance race this year and was very surprised. Nearly as fast as the RR, but FAR more traction.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Members who have read this thread: 0