New Stan's 29" RIm Or Mustang?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New Stan's 29" RIm Or Mustang?

Any comments are appreciated with regard to the choice of the Stan's 29"R rim or the Bontrager Mustang 29"R RIm. The Stan's is @ 80g lighter and presumably is easy to convert to tubeless use. Applications is a 1.75" travel softail, mix of smooth and technical terrain, 200 lb. ride weight, generally easy on wheels and components. I certainly dont want a rim folding on me or a tire rolling off the rim. But who would?

Which would you get? Thanks.
    WYATT

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

mustangs

Go with the mustangs. I am not very impressed with Stans Rim. No eyelets and you can not build the wheels to higher tensions. Mustangs....super solid.

mtbr member
    If you can find mustangs that is. U may have to wait for stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Stans for me

easy to build, running tubless and tire fits tight! I highly suggest Stans...

Old dude

Good job! Mustangs

I got the Mustangs and am a 235lb rider, no problems. I converted them using a 26' tube and the Stans sealant and have had no problems with leakage either. I did go with wire bead Kendas to prevent burps and tires slipping from the rims (it happens to my 26" wheels often, even with the Stans rim strips).

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt
    Any comments are appreciated with regard to the choice of the Stan's 29"R rim or the Bontrager Mustang 29"R RIm. The Stan's is @ 80g lighter and presumably is easy to convert to tubeless use. Applications is a 1.75" travel softail, mix of smooth and technical terrain, 200 lb. ride weight, generally easy on wheels and components. I certainly dont want a rim folding on me or a tire rolling off the rim. But who would?

Which would you get? Thanks.
    The Stans rims have no close competitors when it comes to ease of setting up tubeless, holding air, and not 'burping' at low pressures or with high stress.

That said, I've built about two dozen of Stan's rims, and have yet to get one that came up to tension easily or that didn't have lots of 'finickiness' in getting it right. They are not a confidence inspiring rim to build with. Does that mean they are a bad rim? Mixed reviews on this board, so it's hard to know for sure. Personally, at 180lbs I don't trust them for my own use, based solely on the way that they build up. At 200lbs I'd say you're asking for trouble with these.

The Bontrager Mustang Disc rims, on the other hand, are consistent in the way that they build and come up to tension. I'd have no qualms whatsoever about riding this rim in almost any trail application. But, as someone else noted, they're kinda hard to find (I've had them on backorder for ~4 weeks) right now. And I have no idea how easily (or not) they set up tubeless.

A good compromise between the two, that IS available right now, is the Velocity VXC. ~23mm wide, disc only, eyeletted, and a true 460g/rim. For the rider/conditions described, I'd lace them with a 2.0/1.8 spoke at a minimum. Again, no experience with tubelessing these.

Let us know what you decide, and why.

MC

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ...A good compromise between the two, that IS available right now, is the Velocity VXC. ~23mm wide, disc only, eyeletted, and a true 460g/rim. For the rider/conditions described, I'd lace them with a 2.0/1.8 spoke at a minimum. Again, no experience with tubelessing these.....

Thanks, Mike C., there is a good deal of solid information in your reply which I appreciate and will take heed of when taking the next step. Thanks again.
    WYATT

mtbr member

225lbs

I am no light weight and have two sets (SS and Geared) and have been running them for about a year. They work better than any UST 26” setup I have ever tried. No burps, flats nada!

Check out the new FR rim http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=164099

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Stans, I assume

[QUOTE=DeeZee]I am no light weight and have two sets (SS and Geared) and have been running them for about a year. They work better than any UST 26” setup I have ever tried. No burps, flats nada!

DeeZee, you have two wheelsets utilizing a Stans 29er rim, I assume? What rims do you have and what are they built up with (hub, spoke)? If you built them, did you experience the same difficulties in building that MC described above?

Have you dented or damaged the rims at all? The beadhook looks somewhat fragile and damage prone to me, but apparently the rims seal fine even with damage there. Any insight on that?

Jeremy

mtbr member

Stan's

[QUOTE=JST169]
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    I am no light weight and have two sets (SS and Geared) and have been running them for about a year. They work better than any UST 26” setup I have ever tried. No burps, flats nada!

DeeZee, you have two wheelsets utilizing a Stans 29er rim, I assume? What rims do you have and what are they built up with (hub, spoke)? If you built them, did you experience the same difficulties in building that MC described above?

Have you dented or damaged the rims at all? The beadhook looks somewhat fragile and damage prone to me, but apparently the rims seal fine even with damage there. Any insight on that?

Jeremy
    LBS

you have two wheelsets utilizing a Stan’s 29er rim, I assume?

Correct one set on my SS and one set on my geared FS

What rims do you have and what are they built up with (hub, spoke)?

I have the Olympics http://www.notubes.com/product_info....roducts_id/299
    Both have Hadley hubs (DB spokes on the geared. SG on the SS)

If you built them, did you experience the same difficulties in building that MC described above?

I did not build them and can not comment on the difficulties that MC described

Not that I can tell. My LBS told me when they built them to ride them for awhile and then bring them back in for re-tensioning . These were the first 40 that Stan built and he was on the phone with the LBS. When they checked them out they said they were fine.

If I was going to do it again I would get the new wider FR rim and run SG spokes. http://www.notubes.com/product_info....roducts_id/317

I just like wider rims.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

I'm 200+ and have had no problem with...

Stan's Olympic rim as of yet. Well, I did have a problem in that my local wheel builder didn't want to tension them to spec. He believed they needed to be run at a higher tension which Stan says will make the rim deform. I actually had to get a tension meter and do it myself. The good thing is I learned a bit about wheel building as a result of this and can now do my own repairs and plan to build all my own wheels in the future. All that said, the Stan's rim is obviously more delicate than any heavier rim and I'm not expecting them to have the lifespan of my Alex TD17s. If I could change one thing about them it would be to have eyelets.

Members who have read this thread: 0