New SS Landed...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New SS Landed...

and it's light.... 4 29ers all steel. I wanted a light race bike and my shop delivered this to the house tonight. 5 SS's now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    the new graphics look soooo euro.

very much want to see this built up.

Harmonius Wrench
    Wow! So the new Superfly SS frames are already hitting shops? That's awesome news.

I hope to see one of these in about three weeks or so. Got a special appointment.

Have fun with that. It looks pretty cool, but the build of these bikes will be even more fun to see. Everybody has their own take on what is a good mix of parts.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Very interesting dropout. Tidy. Very un-clunky.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The build might take a while. I have plenty of bikes and I'm trying to keep this both light and strong which isn't easy on the wallet. A complete build in a few weeks.

The frame comes with the Fox fit fork, cane creek headset, Bonty RXL stem.

The rear drops are very trick and seem up to the task. The frame fit and finish is very good. I've never ridden a carbon frame. Steel for me and one full sus AL bike about 7 years ago. I'l give a full ride report when I put some real miles on it. A 2.25 RR tire fit in with plenty of room on a test fit. I'm going to try a 2.4 later but I think there won't be enough room left over.

The first run is starting to trickle in to the shops that has had these reserved. The next big batch will be Nov. as I understand it. I told my local shop manager that I wanted one and to get some info at Trek World. When she got back she said she had one for me if I wanted it. After a few day's thinking... it was here. She even dropped it off at my house tonight since I was worked until after they closed. The best bike shop I've ever dealt with. I am a lifelong customer.

WNC Native
    Man that is a sharp frameset!! I knew it was going to look good from the teaser pics, but it's even better than I expected. Wish I could afford one right now.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

jmw
    mtbr member
    weird dropout/tensioner going on there
    future nature

mtbr member
    Those sliders have some resemblance to the Black Cat design. Last years Superfly had a pretty basic horizontal drop. What I don't get is where the rear caliper is going to mount? I see one hole but that's it. The other holes appear to be where the drop out pivots. Can you post a non drive side pic? Just curious?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29
    Those sliders have some resemblance to the Black Cat design. Last years Superfly had a pretty basic horizontal drop. What I don't get is where the rear caliper is going to mount? I see one hole but that's it. The other holes appear to be where the drop out pivots. Can you post a non drive side pic? Just curious?
    The upper caliper mount, (actually, the IS bracket mount which the caliper bolts to) is going to pivot off the frame at the seat stay. The lower bracket mount is part of the slider. That's why the slider slots are curved, to accomodate the "swing" of the caliper mounting bracket.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And the amount you paid is?

mtbr member

How Much for the frame and fork?

Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    The build might take a while. I have plenty of bikes and I'm trying to keep this both light and strong which isn't easy on the wallet. A complete build in a few weeks.

The frame comes with the Fox fit fork, cane creek headset, Bonty RXL stem.

The rear drops are very trick and seem up to the task. The frame fit and finish is very good. I've never ridden a carbon frame. Steel for me and one full sus AL bike about 7 years ago. I'l give a full ride report when I put some real miles on it. A 2.25 RR tire fit in with plenty of room on a test fit. I'm going to try a 2.4 later but I think there won't be enough room left over.

The first run is starting to trickle in to the shops that has had these reserved. The next big batch will be Nov. as I understand it. I told my local shop manager that I wanted one and to get some info at Trek World. When she got back she said she had one for me if I wanted it. After a few day's thinking... it was here. She even dropped it off at my house tonight since I was worked until after they closed. The best bike shop I've ever dealt with. I am a lifelong customer.
    Could you please let us know how much you paid for the frame and fork.

I need to start saving
    Sit and spin my ass...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i think it is about $2200 for the superfly ss frame/g2 fox fork/headset/rxl stem.

the specialized s-works stumpjumper carbon 29er ss with tapered steerer carbon crown reba/hs/press fitted bb bearings and seatpost is about $2400.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    And the amount you paid is?
    None of anyones business. But the retail is $2100. They preordered three and they have a 19" left that is for sale if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    SWEET frame and fork.

I have this years frame and fork and LOOOOVE it! Mine weights in at 20.4 lbs with King singlespeed hubs, Mavic rims, XTR crank, Thomson stem and post, Elixirs and Easton carbon bar. It probably could be lighter but I too look for durability over the lightest I could build.

Up until around April I had only ridden a Kelly 29'er singlespeed steel frame and fork for the last few years..... BUT since I have built my Superfly up I have been riding the HELL out of this bike. I have a few other bikes to choose from but the Superfly by far has been my favorite.

I can't wait to see the new drop outs. They look really interesting.

Needless to say does any want to buy a Kelly steel singlespeed?
    Last edited by AM Octopus; 08-26-2009 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Great looking frame! I thought the 2010 SFs were going to have bb90?
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by AM Octopus
    SWEET frame and fork.

I have this years frame and fork and LOOOOVE it! Mine weights in at 20.4 lbs with King singlespeed hubs, Mavic rims, XTR crank, Thomson stem and post, Elixirs and Easton carbon bar. It probably could be lighter but I too look for durability over the lightest I could build.

I can't wait to see the new drop outs. They look really interesting.
    X1 - I'm not giving up my '09, but I will enjoy seeing the new builds. Fisher is really bringing it in all zones this year - SS, FS carbon, Rumblefish/HiFi - and, road bikes.

My SS Fly weighs 20 without pedals, but I have SPD 647s on there - they add a pound alone.

But- I can ride it

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    None of anyones business. But the retail is $2100. They preordered three and they have a 19" left that is for sale if anyone is interested.
    Thats BS, its reasonable to ask how much the frame cost. If you got a special deal that the store wouldnt give to just anyone then you could at least say what their regular price was.

Its not like asking how much you make at work...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj-29er
    Thats BS, its reasonable to ask how much the frame cost. If you got a special deal that the store wouldnt give to just anyone then you could at least say what their regular price was.

Its not like asking how much you make at work...
    Read the second line. I gave what I think is the asking price. Since I got a team deal I am not going to list the price as I don't think the shop would be so happy. So no it's not BS as you say.. you just need to read the whole post.

mtbr member
    @Cross4: Nice frame and can't wait to see the build up. You have a disease with 5 SS bikes but I'll hand it to you - your GF or Wife is very forgiving and compassionate.

@Nosaj-29er: Generally speaking for MSRPs, you can do the math if it is MSRP $2,100 then figure 60% of that is the bro-deal. Businesses have overhead, R&D, operating costs so unless you paid your dues and deserve a bro-deal, you best be paying MSRP.

The FOX Fit fork, a great fork at that, has never looked balanced or pleasing with the Superfly's thick CF tubing. Just look at the 6" x 6" block they call a head tube. Niner's carbon fork with its thick side profile would fit perfect. A crime that would be to have flamboyant Niner and Gary Fisher logos grinding against each other.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well I have some miles on it. The bike is not in it's final form but is great. I'm waiting on wheels, tires, seatpost, fork, and pedals which will drop some pounds. It's 20pds right now which is as light as my cross bike. In final form it will be around 17pds without any crazy parts.

The ride... well it is great. I notice the BB stiffness the most which is great. It feels like all of my power is going towards forward motion. I love the ride of all my steel bikes but this feels good and will be the ticket for races. The Fox fork is nice and I might use it for endurance races but I will switch to the new G2 carbon fork next week when it arrives. I just like the rigid bike feel. Now to G2 geo. The first few miles I was unsure and felt a little off. After the first ride it felt natural which is as good as it gets.

I wasn't sure going into this. I've never done carbon, G2, or a suspension fork. In the end I love it. An amazing light, fast, and comfortable bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wooha! Looks great except for... yes, i am terribly fond of the "29'er tractor look". Your's looks almost like a regular 26" MTB

Nah just kidding, it looks great! Please do a Ride Report soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0