New Santa Cruz Blur - Help me get this set up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

New Santa Cruz Blur - Help me get this set up

This is my first full suspension bike. It climbs amazing like night and day difference to my old bike. I am riding much faster then on my hard tail. Love the bike but few issues with front end....

I have ridden it 4 days and twice got bucked off the front. Once I landed a 2 foot jump with front wheel first which happens and on my hard tail (Kona Cinder Cone I would always save it) this time front tire jammed down and I went over the handle bars. The second time I was going 20 or so mph and hit a small rock which somehow launched me over the handle bars. Thankfully both times did not get hurt. Could this be due to having too much sag in front shock? What should my rebound be at?

I was riding it at 25% up front and 25% sag in rear. Setting sag in attack position standing on peddles. The rear shock felt a bit harsh and now I have it set at 30% sag. At 30% it grips the ground a lot better and feels like I am riding a full suspension bike still peddles great. Is this good sag level for rear or should I try it at 27-28% which is manufactures max suggestion?

I now set the front shock to 20% sag and have not yet tested it. My pump is showing 115 PSI which can't be right. I weight 165 with gear. I think my pump is 10 PSI high but still 105 PSI seems too high?

Last option would be just ditch this 100mm fork and buy the 120mm fox 34. This should also slacken out the bike a little bit which may be best.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Did you start with the manufacture (I assuming FOX) recommend settings?

Is it bucking you over after the rear lands or are you going over the bars and losing control landing on your front tire, because the front is diving on you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    It's just the front that bucks. The back always felt ok and now feels really good at 30%.

Santa Cruz says 10-20% for front and 23-28% for rear. I was riding out of town for a few days and didn't have tape measure or great way to set it to their specs. I'll try with 20% front tomorrow and see how it rides.

How do you typically determine the correct rebound? Fox has a guide for this but it's tough as my psi gauge is likely off to know how many turns. I bought this from Competitive Cycle never again wish just payed a little more for a local shop to tune.

Its a fox 32 performance in front and fox float dps evol in back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If fork is diving on you, could mean that you don't have enough air or suspension is staying compressed because the fork is rebounding slow or combination of both.

Usually start with Fox's recommend setting and adjust from there.

What type of fork, if you have open mode adjust, you may have it to soft and may need to increase firmness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Today I rode it at 19% sag in front and 27.5% rear. Bike rides correctly now. The front no longer digs in and I can ride a lot faster with confidence. At 27.5% rear I don't have the plush traction feel but it still eats up the big bumps and I assume is how a xc bike should handle this is pretty much max rear sag santa cruz recommends.

May still play around with the 120 fork once the time comes.