New Retrotec 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New Retrotec 29er

I've been lurking amongst the bikes posted for a long time and finally decided on this bike. Curtis Inglis was great to work with. It turned out better than I had even pictured in my mind when we designing it. The ride is sweet though the twist-shift Rohloff is taking some time to get used to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rmb
    mtbr member
    Nice, I love it.

mtbr member
    Very nice.
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    My wife has a the same frame in Orange and there are pics in my gallery. I have to say....yours is absolutely STUNNING! That's one of the best paint jobs that I've ever seen (granted, I come from the Hot Rod era).

mtbr member

Very nice bike but the squared off tubes on the end look like they need tapering off at an angle.

Tell us more about how it rides, as I'm quite interested in getting one of these.

AOF
    mtbr member
    I've been contemplating getting the triple, but DAYUM!!!, that "classic" looks, well classic.
    Very nice!

-dan
    My LBS

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

Reviewer/Tester
    Mmmmmm... Rohloff ....

R.
    It is inevitable ...

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by greser
    I've been lurking amongst the bikes posted for a long time and finally decided on this bike. Curtis Inglis was great to work with. It turned out better than I had even pictured in my mind when we designing it. The ride is sweet though the twist-shift Rohloff is taking some time to get used to.
    Really nice package. Who did the flames?

Also, how much travel are you running the Reba? Looks like ~45-50mm?

MC

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I like the cantilever look- Stingray style!

Occasionally engaged…
    ..though the twist-shift Rohloff is taking some time to get used to.
    Is it the "twist-shift" or the action of the hub that's taking getting use to? I was a trigger man prior to the Rohloff, but I quickly adapted.
    It's a sweet set-up. Since I've never ridden that frame style (even as a kid) I wonder if the double mid-triangle set of tubes ever gets in the way of your knees? I'm kind of a pigeon-toed pedaler and have had issues with braze-ons and clamps on my top tube in the past...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    To answer some of the above questions...

The custom paint job was done by a guy that Curtis hires in the NoCal area I'm guessing.

The ride is completely different than anything I've ever had before. Previously I had an Ellsworth Truth and a Trek OCLV converted to SS. It's just really fun.

The twist shift takes awhile and the smaller gears have that notorious Rohloff friction which will hopefully smooth out soon. The owner's manual says to expect ~1000 miles for full smoothness.

The tubes haven't been hitting my knees. I haven't been riding super-technical stuff and jockeying around in the saddle. I live in Phoenix and have mostly been riding whoopdee-doo desert type stuff.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Man i Love Retrotecs, beautiful bike there! that'll definately be my next bike, or a Blacksheep, Wolfhound, Willits, Strong....the list is ever growing.

Great looking ride, congrats

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you look closely at the pic of the cranks and BB area, you can see that the non-drive chain stay has "Air Art" painted on it. That's who did the flames. He's located in Chico, CA.

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedstu

Very nice bike but the squared off tubes on the end look like they need tapering off at an angle.
    if you look at the frontal shot you'll see that those tubes are actually finished really nicely. i think it's just the exact angle of the photo you're referencing that makes them look a little odd. i've got a 26in retrotec half, and it's the nicest-riding bike i've ever ridden. i had been told that buying a custom bike would spoil me forever, but I'm only really starting to understand that now, six months later.

Roc
    mtbr member
    Beautiful, a real work of art.

breathing helium
    Great looking bike.

Do you have extra spacers in the fork to get it that short?

TomOneTi
    Oct 2005
    That's a beautiful bike! I had the pleasure of meeting Curtis and his wife about a year an a half ago. Got a tour of his shop, a ride in his Acetta and dinner in Napa. He's a real class guy! You'll get used to that Rohloff. You just need to ride it more!

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Sweet!

I posted on this question on this thread a few days ago, but it appears to have been deleted:

Like Mikesee asked, how much travel is set on the Reba? Looks low.
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I measured the Reba travel and its only 50mm. This isn't intentional. I pumped up the air to 120psi on both the + and - sides...any ideas on why it's not the 80mm? It still rides well.

Reviewer/Tester
    I measured the Reba travel and its only 50mm. This isn't intentional. I pumped up the air to 120psi on both the + and - sides...any ideas on why it's not the 80mm? It still rides well.

You need to put more air in the Positive air chamber and less in the Negative.

Start again...

Pump air into the positive chamber first. Lets say...90psi.

Now pump air into the negative chamber... 80psi.

That's the way it's done...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Rainman...now it's up to 90mm. Next ride should be interesting.

Reviewer/Tester
    No problem...adjust the air up or down according to your weight, trail conditions and preference.

Keep about 10 psi difference between the positive and negative air chambers for every setting. So if you go to 100 positive, the negative should be on 90 psi.

Set pressure to get full travel on the sliders on the big hits.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

TomOneTi
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    No problem...adjust the air up or down according to your weight, trail conditions and preference.

Keep about 10 psi difference between the positive and negative air chambers for every setting. So if you go to 100 positive, the negative should be on 90 psi.

Set pressure to get full travel on the sliders on the big hits.

R.
    Ray, You da man!! This set -up rocks!! The Reba works sooooooooo well when it's set up per your instructions. Thanks again, Tom

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by tgriesel
    Ray, You da man!! This set -up rocks!! The Reba works sooooooooo well when it's set up per your instructions. Thanks again, Tom

My pleasure, Sir.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are the chainstays asymetrical? They look weird in the first picture...

I really like the Retrotecs. I've always liked bent tubes. The only thing I think its missing is the ST bend like the Karate Monkey has. That would complete it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The stay aren't asymmetrical, but they certainly look like it in the first picture. I'll have to examine more closely.

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    it's just that photo. you can see in the later photos that the stays are straight.

mtbr member
    Very Nice!

I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Meat,

Thanks for the Borat pix. That picture looks exactly like the places I ride in AZ. I haven't seen the movie yet, was he in AZ? I'll keep an eye open for him on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How do you like the EBB? I am looking at the same type bike and also have the Rohloff. I was thinking i'd get the sliding dropouts.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nmcculloch
    How do you like the EBB? I am looking at the same type bike and also have the Rohloff. I was thinking i'd get the sliding dropouts.
    I've had a Retrotec with EBB for three years now. The EBB has been perfect. It is easy to turn and adjust. It locks in place with no slipping. It has zero creaks. Perfect, I would say.

francois
    IPA will save America

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Are the chainstays asymetrical? They look weird in the first picture...

I really like the Retrotecs. I've always liked bent tubes. The only thing I think its missing is the ST bend like the Karate Monkey has. That would complete it!
    The seat tube bend on the KM is more of an abomination I think. It's probably done for tire clearance and not for aesthetics.

francois
    IPA will save America

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    The seat tube bend on the KM is more of an abomination I think.
    Blasphemy
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    beautiful!

The seat tube bend on the KM is so that they can put shorter chainstays on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The seat tube bend on the KM is more of an abomination I think. It's probably done for tire clearance and not for aesthetics.

francois
    I think it's the only thing that gives it character.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap
    If you look closely at the pic of the cranks and BB area, you can see that the non-drive chain stay has "Air Art" painted on it. That's who did the flames. He's located in Chico, CA.
    Air Art used to do great custom paint on Mountain Goat bikes (also located in Chico).

Bike Nutt
    Very nice. Reminds me of the first 26" BMX Cruiser I built up when I was 14 or so. Keep us up to speed on the Rohloff...I've been temped to put one on my KM that I use to commute to work on. Only thing keeping me from doing it is $. As a matter of fact that's what keeps me from doing a lot of things!!

3.14159265358979323846…
    The seat tube bend on the KM is more of an abomination I think.
    francois
    Agreed.

It's probably done for tire clearance and not for aesthetics.
    According to Surly... true.

3.14159265358979323846…
    Nice Freakin' Bike!!!

Once you ride a Retrotec, the rest are just bikes.

I just passed you

Oooh AAAh

Now that's a sweet ride. I don't like flames, but I like 'them flames!! Excellent work and design!

mtbr member
    seeing this nice retrotec makes me want to build mine up that i have sitting in my attic waiting for... well i don't know what i am waiting for...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    My pleasure, Sir.

R.
    Rainman: I just installed a Reba on my Kona Kula 2-9. It is set w/o the spacer @ 100mm. After a couple of rides I would like to reduce the travel... but I would think that with both air chambers one really doesn't have to reinstall the spacer -- Plus, I would also like to have the travel set at somewhere around 90mm. How would you recommend airing the fork up -- with the negative air first and then the positive - experimenting with the balance between positive and negative until I get the travel I am looking for... or??

I am just looking to save myself some time an frustration... and from what I can gather you are the guru of Reba fork adjustment.

Thanks in advance for your help...

P.S. It is not my intention to hijack this thread and detract from the deserved admiration of the beautiful Retrotrec presented here... I just need some quick advice/help.

Dave
    "To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the best product of civilization"... Bertrand Russell

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    yeah, build it! an attic is not the place for your retrotec! it's for the trails!

mtbr member
    I was gonna say the same thing!

An attic is no place for your Retrotec. Even if you don't have the parts to build it up yet, at least put it someplace prominent where you can stare at it... like over the mantlepiece.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CJones
    I was gonna say the same thing!

An attic is no place for your Retrotec. Even if you don't have the parts to build it up yet, at least put it someplace prominent where you can stare at it... like over the mantlepiece.
    Just finished building up a Turner, so I told myself to wait on the Retrotec til my birthday this April. A present to myself at that point

If I take down from the attic and stare at it, I will give in to it's mezmerizing glow and angelic "oooowhhhhhhh" music.

Noob
    <drool>
    MTB Blog

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just an update on the Retrotec ride and Rohloff Speedhub...

It's hard to put into words one's feel for a bike, but it's just fun. Definitely a more upright riding position than my other racing 26ers. I need to be more careful going downhills, but I just put my weight behind the seat so I don't get bucked.

The Rohloff has been easy. The low gears had a grinding sensation initially, but it's getting better. A problem I've run into is difficulty shifting as I'm going up a hill and needing the quick downshift. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

I'd still buy this bike again and if they weren't so expensive, I'd have Curtis build one up for my son!

Reviewer/Tester
    Just an update on the Retrotec ride and Rohloff Speedhub...

It's hard to put into words one's feel for a bike, but it's just fun. Definitely a more upright riding position than my other racing 26ers. I need to be more careful going downhills, but I just put my weight behind the seat so I don't get bucked.

The Rohloff has been easy. The low gears had a grinding sensation initially, but it's getting better. A problem I've run into is difficulty shifting as I'm going up a hill and needing the quick downshift. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

I'd still buy this bike again and if they weren't so expensive, I'd have Curtis build one up for my son!
    Downshifting under the pressure of pedaling up a steep hill with a Rohloff requires a very small 'pause' technique in your pedaling.

It's is hardly seen by someone watching you, but it is a positive movement which you the rider can feel. It only lasts for a second. It's like.....push hard, pause, shift, push hard...a very fast movement, but what it does is release the pressure on the gears for a second enabling you to shift down smoothly one or more cogs.

You get used to it pretty quickly as all Rohloff riders do, and it becomes second nature in a short time, you don't even think about it.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon
    Rainman: I just installed a Reba on my Kona Kula 2-9. It is set w/o the spacer @ 100mm. After a couple of rides I would like to reduce the travel... but I would think that with both air chambers one really doesn't have to reinstall the spacer -- Plus, I would also like to have the travel set at somewhere around 90mm. How would you recommend airing the fork up -- with the negative air first and then the positive - experimenting with the balance between positive and negative until I get the travel I am looking for... or??

I am just looking to save myself some time an frustration... and from what I can gather you are the guru of Reba fork adjustment.

Thanks in advance for your help...

P.S. It is not my intention to hijack this thread and detract from the deserved admiration of the beautiful Retrotrec presented here... I just need some quick advice/help.

Dave
    Sorry, I missed this post...

If you want to have less travel without changing the spacer in the fork, simply run more negative pressure than positive in the chambers. EG: Negative 100psi Positive 90-95psi.

This will drop the travel on the fork some, and also make the fork feel more plush over small bumps. However, the downside of this is that you will have less travel overall as the fork will sag more, and will be less able to cope with big hits.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That makes sense. I'll try it. It has caused me to lose a lot of hills so hopefully this will enable me to clear them and not be such a puss.

Members who have read this thread: 0