mtbr member
    Aug 2018

New Niner Jet 9 RDO - Build Out

I just received my new Niner Jet 9 RDO medium frame. This will be a long build as I get money over the winter and hope to have it ready for spring. I live in Minnesota so no hurry once November hits.

I am going to go 29" instead of the 27.5+, hence the place in this forum.

Question for the forum... If you could build this out how would you build it. Let's say we have a budget of $2500 - $3000 left. Nothing top of the top for price, but not bottom either. Probably XT, XTR, XO1 groupset price line. Looking at Pike or Fox 34 forks just to give an idea. I would like to see how people would build this awesome frame out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I ride a 18 Jet RDOWhat type of terrain do you ride?

May I also suggest posting in Niner forum. Knowledgeable guys there. But responses come slow. Just like Niner CS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    That is a good question, but difficult to answer. Most, probably 80%, of my riding will be single track around Minnesota with ups and downs. 5-10 times a year, I have the time to head west with the bike to western ND and MT for some technical ascents and descents. Some of these will be multiday rides as well. I have done the Maah Daah Hey in ND a few times and would use it there as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mantic View Post
    I just received my new Niner Jet 9 RDO medium frame. This will be a long build as I get money over the winter and hope to have it ready for spring. I live in Minnesota so no hurry once November hits.

I am going to go 29" instead of the 27.5+, hence the place in this forum.

Question for the forum... If you could build this out how would you build it. Let's say we have a budget of $2500 - $3000 left. Nothing top of the top for price, but not bottom either. Probably XT, XTR, XO1 groupset price line. Looking at Pike or Fox 34 forks just to give an idea. I would like to see how people would build this awesome frame out.
    I have a 2017 Jet 9 RDO 5 Star 27.5+. Great trail bike. With your budget Iíd look for a new but maybe last season Fox 34 fork on sale, Eagle GX drivetrain, XT or SLX brakes on sale; dropper post and the best carbon wheels in the 30mm ID range that I could afford. Sounds like a fun project!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Forgot to mention I have the KS Lev Integra dropper. Works great. Congrats on your new frame!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nothing top of the top for price, but not bottom either. Probably XT, XTR, XO1 groupset price line.
    XTR is top of the top.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Congrats on the frame! Hopefully youíll update as the build completes and you get her out on some trails here in MN. I just moved here and am contemplating upgrading my older RIP9 soon, so itís great hearing some feedback on what works well for folks on the local trails

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Is the fox 34 better than the pike or the dvo diamond? Also, do carbon wheels make that much of a difference? I have never ridden them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I would say. Go with what ever rear shock you have. If you have a Fox rear go with a 34. If you have RS rear go Pike.

I like my 34. I bumped up my 34 from 130mm to 140mm. A few Jet guys have started changing out their rear shocks. Iím getting ready to upgrade my DPS to a DPX2.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have had very good experiences with the Fox Factory forks over the last couple years. Have ridden other brands on demo days and like them all but fox feels best to me, probably hard to go wrong these days and to each their own. My frame came with Fox rear shock. Carbon wheels would be my first priority on a new build. On an older Jet9 RDO that I own I went from custom built Stanís ArchEX with DT Swiss 240 hubs to Roval Fattie SL (30mm ID) carbon wheel set and notice the difference on every ride I take. Lighter by 250g or so doesnít sound like a lot but since itís in rotating weight itís very noticeable accelerating and climbing. Much faster all around and the extra width allows for lower tire psi which increases traction and makes quite a difference. They take a beating on technical rock gardens and have stayed true since new 2+ years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Congrats on the new frame! If you like it half as much as I like mine, you'll be very happy.
    I built mine with
    santa cruz reserve carbon rims + dt swiss 350 hubs - LOVE these wheels. They replaced Stans ex rims + hope hubs. they're wider, stiffer, and lighter. not cheap tho.

xt brakes - best brakes I've ever used. never squeal, always stop, great modulation.

xt 1x11 drivetrain with raceface cranks and sunrace 11x50 cassette. This setup is meh. Good if you have 11 speed bits and want to go 1x. If I were doing it over, I'd go eagle 1x12 or wait for shimano's 1x12 to filter down to xt.

fox transfer dropper - great dropper. 2 years old and never had a problem.

rockshox pike fork set at 140mm - a good fork. Not the quantum leap in buttery smoothness it was touted as when it came out. I'd consider fox 34 if I had a do-over. Would probably also get a boost to match the rear spacing.

If you figure out how to internally route the rear brake line, let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    do carbon wheels make that much of a difference? I have never ridden them.
    Probably not worth the price but they make a huge difference in stiffness and weight. I replaced stans ex with santa cruz reserve and dropped nearly a pound in weight (lighter hubs/spokes/nips too). I'm around 200# and really flexed the stans rear wheel on cornering and rocks/roots. The carbon reserves don't bend at all. On the down side (?) it is a harsher ride so I softened up my suspension a bit and lowered my tire pressure to compensate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks guys! This is all great information. Niner recommends 130 for the front fork. Any reason why I can't go stepcast 34 120 or up to 140 like you recommend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I bumped mine to 140. I like it so much better. But I ride out west in rocky tech terrain out here in AZ. If I rode smoother flow trails I might have stayed at 130. 120mm is pushing it. The BB is pretty low.

Edit: the 2017 27.5+ bikes came stock with a 140mm fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    I bumped mine to 140. I like it so much better. But I ride out west in rocky tech terrain out here in AZ. If I rode smoother flow trails I might have stayed at 130. 120mm is pushing it. The BB is pretty low.

Edit: the 2017 27.5+ bikes came stock with a 140mm fork
    Yeah, they recommend a 140mm for the 27.5 and a 130mm for 29. I would love to see how much room I would have with that stepcast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Itís my understanding that the new Fox 34sc only comes in 120mm. Like I memtioned before. Unless you are doing super smooth trails and are looking for an XC race build I wouldnít go 120mm on the Jet

With the standard Fox 34 you can switch out air shafts. ($50 part). Anywhere between 120 to 150mm. If you go with a 34sc , for now you can only go 120mm. You maybe able to change travel latter if they come out with other airshafts

https://youtu.be/niMsnpqH5AI

IMO itís not worth the minimal weight savings. The Jet can be built out so many different ways. You can lean trail or XC. I do 140mm 27.5 2.8 for trail and 130mm 29 2.3 for XC.

mtbr member
    Yep. The step in the 34 Step Cast limits travel to 120mm.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Itís my understanding that the new Fox 34sc only comes in 120mm. Like I memtioned before. Unless you are doing super smooth trails and are looking for an XC race build I wouldnít go 120mm on the Jet

With the standard Fox 34 you can switch out air shafts. ($50 part). Anywhere between 120 to 150mm. If you go with a 34sc , for now you can only go 120mm. You maybe able to change travel latter if they come out with other airshafts

https://youtu.be/niMsnpqH5AI

IMO itís not worth the minimal weight savings. The Jet can be built out so many different ways. You can lean trail or XC. I do 140mm 27.5 2.8 for trail and 130mm 29 2.3 for XC.
    So... anyone have any experience with the DVO Diamond now that I am officially off the stepcast route? RS Pike, Fox, or DVO Diamond? I am heavier (210) so the OTT on the DVO is appealing, but I don't know anyone with experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím about your weight at 200. I think you might find issues itís the rear shock DPS. I havenít been able to get it to feel right. At 30% sag I bottom out easy. With volume spacers itís pretty harsh. Iím about ready to give a DPX2 a try.

I have been pretty happy with my 34. If I had a choice I might have gone with the Pike. I think itís a beefier fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Wheels and Hubs...

I have the 2017 Jet 9 RDO (yellow) frame.

I am ordering SPANK rims with I9 hubs. What color combos do you guys think would look good on that frame? Black on Black?

Dropper - Black (Crank Bros Highline)
    Saddle - Black with a tiny bit of red (WTB Race)
    Cockpit - Black (RaceFace)
    Shock - Fox with Kashima
    Fork - Fox Float (black with orange sticker) with Kashima
    Drive train - nothing picked out yet

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Black on black. Change out the orange stickers on the fork from orange to black

jms
    mtbr member
    So... anyone have any experience with the DVO Diamond now that I am officially off the stepcast route? RS Pike, Fox, or DVO Diamond? I am heavier (210) so the OTT on the DVO is appealing, but I don't know anyone with experience.
    Have you considered an MRP Ribbon?
    My Favorite Peeps: