new 'niner hoops from Velocity- Mtbr.com
    Sweep the leg!

new 'niner hoops from Velocity

I zipped off a question to Velocity last night regarding any rims they might make for 29ers and this is what I got today...

Tim, We think alike, we've recently introduced the VXC rim and the Synergy rim (both standard and O/C) in 700c, 32h. They haven't made it to the catalog or website just yet, but they are in stock and ready to go, black only. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Matt
    Velocity USA
    I fired of the standard reply of "how much do they weigh and cost?" so as soon as I get a reply to that I'll update the tread.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    We knew about the VXC (Mike @ oddsandendos.com has them in colors). Several posters here are riding them.

Had not heard about the 700c Synergy. Now if they will do them in 36 hole...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Big Wheel Homer !!
    I've had a set since Sept., they ride very solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    they have been around for awhile, Mike G. @ www.oddsandendos.com has them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

They even have eyelets!

Are they double-eyletted? Anyone?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Obviously you guys in the US are behind a little.
    VentanaOZ and SinglespeedScott have been running Velocity Zvino 29er rims for 6 months over here but I have not seen a single post about that rim on this forum.

Recovering couch patato
    Synergy : 23mm wide, as front or rear rim. 430g claimed for 26"models, which should translate to ~480g in 29", plus any wear in their extruder dye thingy.
    And : brake tracks, welcome for at least some of us. Nice to have another possibly sub-500g option with those.

Recovering couch patato
    Zvino? Looks like a road rim to me. Can't imagine that rim didn't exist in 700c before it was used for 29"?
    Maybe it wasn't posted much about because road rims are being used all the time? If that 405g claimed weight is true, a nice option for narrower tires and lighter riders though, as it will certainly be cheaper than a Stan's rim. Plus, it comes in 36h too!

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Obviously you guys in the US are behind a little.
    VentanaOZ and SinglespeedScott have been running Velocity Zvino 29er rims for 6 months over here but I have not seen a single post about that rim on this forum.
    The Zvino has gotten very little attention here. Their web sites (US and OZ) show it only as a wheelset and do not even give a rim diameter.

I like the concept. It would be fun to play with different lacing patterns/spoke counts.
    mtbtires.com

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Zvino has gotten very little attention here. Their web sites (US and OZ) show it only as a wheelset and do not even give a rim diameter.

I like the concept. It would be fun to play with different lacing patterns/spoke counts.
    Shannon (VentanaOZ) and Scott both seem pretty happy with them and Shannon is not a small guy (6'3"?? and 90kg or so I would guess). He told me that he has not had to touch the Zvino's since he has had them.

I know he was able to get the rims laced to Surly SS hubs at the factory and from memory he told me that basically anything can be done if you just ask. In fact he had them powdercoat his pink to match his El Comandante.

You are right though in that they are only listed as a wheelset.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Zvino? Looks like a road rim to me. Can't imagine that rim didn't exist in 700c before it was used for 29"?
    Maybe it wasn't posted much about because road rims are being used all the time? If that 405g claimed weight is true, a nice option for narrower tires and lighter riders though, as it will certainly be cheaper than a Stan's rim. Plus, it comes in 36h too!
    Cloxxki
    I have absolutely no doubt that the Zvino was originally designed as a road rim.
    The Velocity factory is located just outside of Brisbane and I would suggest until Shannon asked there would have been absolutely NO call to them about 29er use.
    In fact, from my involvement in the local MTB scene and websites I would saythat there is only a handful of 29er riders in the entire state.
    Shannon is a big guy and rides his bike hard but fairly and he told me recently that he has not even had to true these wheels since he got them. They seem a reasonably light rim and have the added bling factor of being able to select from various rim spacer colours so that you can match them to your ano parts if you wish.

lord of my world
    I just built up a set of Dyads with non-machined side walls, 32 front 36 rear on Novatec SS disc hubs. Porky rear hub but the rims weigh in at 490 grams and the are 24mm wide. I have built up VXC 26" and they hold up nice. Too narrow for me.

Recovering couch patato
    490 Dyads, verified? Then they cleaned up their machines :-) Last ones I saw were 540g.

brienf
    I just ordered some velocity vxc's on wtb hubs from Mike Garcia and have a question for you guys. I'm 6ft 3in and 185lbs, any problems using them for my xc racing wheelset?

I'm really easy on my equipment and used mavic crossmax sl's the last 2 years on my 26er with no problems but have made the switch to 29 and am loving it so far. Oh and I'll be running them tubeless also.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Cloxxki
    I have absolutely no doubt that the Zvino was originally designed as a road rim...
    The Zvino wheelsets are under the mtb heading, not under road. I did not see any specs.

They were presented at interbike '04 as a mtb rim.
    mtbtires.com

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Zvino wheelsets are under the mtb heading, not under road. I did not see any specs.

They were presented at interbike '04 as a mtb rim.

Well then perhaps I do have a doubt.
    Yes the 26" version is obviously a MTB rim but I am then confused about the 29"/700cc version.
    Perhaps Shannon will come along and clear things up for us.
    Perhaps he got the ones for him and SSScott specially made?!?!?!?

Sweep the leg!
    I I did a search and didn't find squat... oh well. It's all good. Velocity did reply this afternoon though. VCX ~450g and Synergy ~480g. I had to do something while 11" of snow fell, and more coming tonight.

mtbr member
    i bought a 26" vxc rim laced to xt hubs, 2nd hand, after 2 years of riding, didnt had to true.

and those white vxc 29er rims over and oddsandendos.com looks good on an inbred. hahahha

did mike powercoat himself or was it factory direct?

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Synergy : 23mm wide, as front or rear rim. 430g claimed for 26"models, which should translate to ~480g in 29", plus any wear in their extruder dye thingy.
    And : brake tracks, welcome for at least some of us. Nice to have another possibly sub-500g option with those.
    What about the Velocity Dyad at 480 grams for 700C, 24 mm outside width, and 19 mm inside width?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brienf
    I just ordered some velocity vxc's on wtb hubs from Mike Garcia and have a question for you guys. I'm 6ft 3in and 185lbs, any problems using them for my xc racing wheelset?

Thanks!
    I am also 6'3" and weigh about 5 pounds less than you. Yesterday I spoke to Mike G. and ordered Velocity VXC rims laced to DT Swiss 240s hubs. These are for a Salsa Dos Niner I just bought for xc riding. He gave me 2 suggestions for spokes, one was a little lighter, the other a little heavier for a stronger build. I chose the slightly heavier spoke option. Don't quote me but I think the spoke I decided on is the DT competition. I spoke with a couple of wheel builders before ordering these from Mike and all 3 reccomended the VXC's. You should be fine.

mtbr member

Zvino

Zvino

Lets clear it up the deign was intended for Mountain bike use as an XC rim with the ability to be laced to almost any pattern or hole requirement just by changing the spacer size. It was intended for the 26" size initially but some 700C s were rolled up and trialled on road bikes. For a road Rim they are too heavy for the light guys but they are bloddy strong. They have no drillings so again less likely to deform at spoke nipple interface.

I have had multiple sets of these in both 26" and 29" versions and have been very impressed with their strength and reliability. When laced to a top quality Hub they will build a very light yet strong wheel set. I have weighed a few and for the most part close to 480-500g with Rim, Nipples, Spacers and nipple seats.

There are some downsides to the design with the primary being a broken or rounded niplle may require partial wheel dissassembly to change as there is ony 2 access slots for the sliding nipple seat inserts.

I would love to see this Rim Exported but demand has got to be there I guess.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the whole Velocity 29er line was sort of a well kept secret when I bought my hoops. I only heard about them from Walt....nobody else had mentioned them yet. After I had gone through an email goosechase, I picked up a set from odds 'n endos. Just recently somebody was talking about a 36h VXC, but even the factory says they only make 32h, so I'm inclined to believe them. Either way, it's a strong lightweight rim that's a hell of a lot cheaper than stans.

Just as a heads up, I've been reading a bunch of posts lately that don't recommend running tubeless with this rim, regardless of tire. I had initially planned on trying tubeless out, but after looking around, I think I'll just go with tubes. The weight should be about the same, but I guess I'll have to be more careful about pinch flats. So it goes.

brienf

not running tubeless with this rim?

Hey Lucky 7,
    Could you tell me whats up with not running tubeless on these rims? That is totally my plan with them. If it won't work right I need to cancel my order for them.
    Thanks for the help.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Hey Lucky 7,
    Could you tell me whats up with not running tubeless on these rims? That is totally my plan with them. If it won't work right I need to cancel my order for them.
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm using the VXC tubeless with Stans, Maxxis Ignitors. I've been running them since Sept. without any problems. You will need to use the 26" rim strip with the VXC.

Steve

brienf
    Thanks Steve,
    Did you drill the inner valve hole out to 3/8th and just use the yellow spoke tape from stans like he suggests also? I've got some IRC Notos 29er's on the way in the wire bead just to be safe for now. I've been told that the tire companies are working on beefing up the kevlar beads for their tires to eliminate any issues of the past.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Thanks Steve,
    Did you drill the inner valve hole out to 3/8th and just use the yellow spoke tape from stans like he suggests also? I've got some IRC Notos 29er's on the way in the wire bead just to be safe for now. I've been told that the tire companies are working on beefing up the kevlar beads for their tires to eliminate any issues of the past.
    I did drill out the hole to 3/8, but I didn't use the yellow tape. I either used the thin clear like tape from the Stans kit, or just regular Ritchey rim tape, I don't remember on this set, but I haven't used any yellow tape on any wheelset I've done tubeless.

Steve

Members who have read this thread: 0