New to mtbr, question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New to mtbr, question

Hey newbie here, so far love the site! I am new to mountain biking and trying to learn all that I can. There is a ton of useful (some not so useful!) info here. Anyways, I ride dirtbikes and sportbikes and thought this would be a fun way to get into shape. I have went to my LBS and test rode a few bikes, and have decided on a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er. I also rode a GF Cobia, which was nice but a little out of my price range. I've also rode a friends Trek 4500 26in too, and I think the Specialized just felt better, can't really explain why. I was originally thinking about a GF Marlin, but after how the Specialized seemed to fit better, changed my mind.

So do you think the Hardrock would be a good first mt bike in that price range? Will it hold up or will I be replacing stuff soon? Any info/advice is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The Hardrock will be a great first bike, and the parts are generally durable and reliable. You shouldn't be forced to replace them any time soon due to wear of malfunction.

Good luck, and be safe.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph07
    Hey newbie here, so far love the site!...
    Hey Brutha, I've got a '96 XR400 (best trail bike EVER) plus an '06 1050 Sprint ST. Look me up whenever you get to Western Oregon. Just bring a set of wheels... it don't matter what kind.

Welcome to MTBR.

--sParty

P.S. Hey hoolie... would you mind giving us your opinion on replacing stuff? Thanks.
    Last edited by Sparticus; 12-21-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Replacing stuff.....

is part of the fun!

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I suspect that a lot of us have 2 wheels of other varieties as well.

I started mountain biking in '90 to keep in shape/cross train (before that was a fad) while roadracing motorcycles. I grew up on dirt bikes and my first mountain bike rides were on motorcycle trails. There weren't a lot of dedicated mountain bike trails then.

Anyway, that bike will suit you well and will help tremendously with your conditioning.

Enjoy and.... rubber side down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was a die-hard motorcyclist for 20+ years, but when I re-entered bicycling five years ago I completely lost interest in motos. I had a 2000 Triumph TT600 and it went from ~10k miles per year (all recreational, no commuting) down to about 200 miles per year. I finally sold it in 2008.

So beware...

mtbr member
    For the price range, the HardRock would be good. If you could move up into the next price range, I'd go for the RockHopper, as the frame is better.

Hey newbie here, so far love the site! I am new to mountain biking and trying to learn all that I can. There is a ton of useful (some not so useful!) info here. Anyways, I ride dirtbikes and sportbikes and thought this would be a fun way to get into shape. I have went to my LBS and test rode a few bikes, and have decided on a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er. I also rode a GF Cobia, which was nice but a little out of my price range. I've also rode a friends Trek 4500 26in too, and I think the Specialized just felt better, can't really explain why. I was originally thinking about a GF Marlin, but after how the Specialized seemed to fit better, changed my mind.

So do you think the Hardrock would be a good first mt bike in that price range? Will it hold up or will I be replacing stuff soon? Any info/advice is much appreciated.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    That bike will hold up well and take abuse from XC riding well. If you liked the Trek, you may want to ride the Marlin just for the hell of it, it can never hurt to try out more bikes before you buy.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the replies! I just wanted some different opinions, I hate not knowing anything about the stuff I am buying, but I guess that learning if half the fun of it. I think I will go ahead and get the Hardrock to start out.

Sparticus, I had an '05 Sprint ST and it was a great bike! I currently have an '07 Speed Triple and a Daytona 675 for the track. The Sprint really made me a Triumph guy, now if they just made mountain bikes!

Thanks again, I will post a report in a few weeks after I get the bike and let you know how it's going.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Yep, come back with pics when you can
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the replies! I just wanted some different opinions, I hate not knowing anything about the stuff I am buying, but I guess that learning if half the fun of it. I think I will go ahead and get the Hardrock to start out.

Sparticus, I had an '05 Sprint ST and it was a great bike! I currently have an '07 Speed Triple and a Daytona 675 for the track. The Sprint really made me a Triumph guy, now if they just made mountain bikes!

Thanks again, I will post a report in a few weeks after I get the bike and let you know how it's going.
    welcome aboard from a fellow Triumph guy:

My stable mimics yours aparently..

different years. my S3 is an 05 and the 675 is an 06 but instead of a Sprint ST I took a plunge and got this..

next spring I'm planning on getting this..ITS TIME TO OWN ONE:

again..welcome aboard, its all two wheels so it's all good. I know what you mean by "started riding a bicycle as a fun way to get in shape"...thats exactly how I re-entered bicycling.. turned out to be crazy fun, the stamina went up, the knees stopped aching..my motorcycle jackets even went from a XXL to a XL.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey Moozh, good looking bikes you have there! I have always wanted to ride the Rocket 3, you will have to give me a ride report if you end up getting it. To date, the Speed Triple is still the most fun bike I have rode. It does it all from track days, wknd touring, and wheelies of course! Pretty good do it all bike.

Still waiting on the mtn bike, hopefully it will be in first of next week. Really looking forward to getting some seat time on it, have a lot of holiday food to burn off!

Peace & Love
    Hey Moozh, good looking bikes you have there! I have always wanted to ride the Rocket 3, you will have to give me a ride report if you end up getting it. To date, the Speed Triple is still the most fun bike I have rode. It does it all from track days, wknd touring, and wheelies of course! Pretty good do it all bike.

Still waiting on the mtn bike, hopefully it will be in first of next week. Really looking forward to getting some seat time on it, have a lot of holiday food to burn off!
    nice...between biking (moto) and biking (MTB) i think you will have THE best combo of killer hobbies for sure! Well, masturbation is up there too but that goes without saying.

speaking of moto, today is gonna be nice so i am heading out to test ride a daytona and hopefully an aprilia RSV4. Will be dried out enuf tomorrow and will then hit the dirt....good times!

Members who have read this thread: 0