New Moots Mountaineer ybb vs MootoXybb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

New Moots Mountaineer ybb vs MootoXybb

How do these two bikes compare? I have an option to buy either used with Sram Eagle 1x and other top parts. $3500 for the MootoXybb and $5700 for the 2017 Mountaineer ybb.

slow
    Do you prefer 29 or 27.5+? If both bikes are 2017 model year, the stock geometry is similar (slightly higher BB on the 27.5+), but the MootoX is 29 and the Mountaineer is 27.5+. For 2019, the Mountaineer now has 29' wheels and has replaced the MootoX.

Here is the stock geometry chart for 2017 Moots from their catalog. Keep in mind that they do custom, so check with the seller to see if the geometry is stock.

New Moots Mountaineer ybb vs MootoXybb-2017moots_geometry.jpg

slow
    The MootoX ybb was made for several years. If the MootoX you have the opportunity to buy is an older model, Google the catalog from that year to find the geometry because they have changed a few times in the several years the bike has been made. The geomotry of my 2011 MootoX ybb is OK, but not quite the way I'd build it if I bought custom. Also, my frame doesn't have the rear tire clearance I'd like. I can only run select 2.4 tires on the rear. Finally, my older frame still has a non-tapered head tube, so fork selection is more limited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Now I'm confused. The Mountaineer yyb is a 2017 with 29ers. As far as geometry goes, I am 6'0" and have a 35" inseam.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by csacwp View Post
    Now I'm confused. The Mountaineer yyb is a 2017 with 29ers. As far as geometry goes, I am 6'0" and have a 35" inseam.
    Most 27.5 bikes can be run with 29'er wheels. The geometry shouldn't change much. The Mountaineer will probably give you more tire clearance than the Mooto-X.

As for size, take a look at the reach numbers and make sure your preferred reach numbers match the bike you are buying. I tend to prefer a smaller frame than what is suggested, so I bought a small Mooto-X. However, at 5'10" I'm thinking of replacing my small with a medium if I happen upon a good deal on a used one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'm looking at larges. Want a bike for xc and long days in the saddle.

slow
    Sounds like you are on the right track for sizing and for use. I raced numerous endurance events on my 26" YBB over the years and have spent many long days in the saddle on bth my 26" ybb and my Mooto-X ybb.