A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape

Chris at Generic Cycles just started work on my pivotless ti FS frame. Doesn't look like much yet but neither to babies when that first ultrasound pic is taken. Will update as it develops. The plan is for a full SRAM XX build. Fox F29 G2 fork. Wheels will be King hubs laced to Stan's Flow rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-frame1.jpg  

Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

get down!
    tubezzz!!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    The ti flex plate should be the next pic I get. It's at the shop getting the water-cut treatment.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Subscribed

Only thing/problem I see there is you'll only be able to run a custom seatpost with that lovely bent ST. Looks nice and curvy though
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

poser Administrator

hmm

very
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-1240240207interesting.png  

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I hate this kind of teasing!

Subscribed

frog

mtbr member
    Ignore the top of that seat tube piece. you are only seeing part of it. That piece will be cut down and merged with another tube that will have a more traditional angle. The tube has the extreme curve to provide tire clearance without super long chainstays. See below for a sketch of the design - although the finished product will be more "integrated" than the drawing shows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-frame.png  

Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

get down!
    love it already

what are your measurements?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    NICE! I'm watching this too. I'll live vicariously, still awaiting blue prints for sign off on my ti fatty soft tail...

What's the seat stay pivot section? Some super durable plastic insert, or what?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aha, makes a lot more sense now and man does that top tube look WAY better in reality than the drawing How much travel are you going for outback and matching it up to what upfront? Curious as now we get the angles and to me it says definitely XC, but might I suggest you consider going for a 69* HA instead of the 70* I would never have even thought about that sort of angle for an XC HT before the Paradox, but now, with the newer offset Minute I absolutely don't ever want anything steeper than 69* HA again - Unless of course you're a racer boy and like that super twitchy feel

Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Ignore the top of that seat tube piece. you are only seeing part of it. That piece will be cut down and merged with another tube that will have a more traditional angle. The tube has the extreme curve to provide tire clearance without super long chainstays. See below for a sketch of the design - although the finished product will be more "integrated" than the drawing shows.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Chris is a super nice dude...I spoke to him at Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop not long ago. It seems he is more of an innovator rather than continuing with the same cut and dry bikes...I kinda like that.

Keep an eye out for some new set geometry bikes made by Chris with a yet to be determined branding. I just saw one yesterday, actually.

Not to steal from Vecsus' thunder....but these are some "generic" photos from his webpage showing some of the soft tail details.

-Nick

Rohloff
    That's on my list of bikes to hook up to an IGH. I'm currently playing with a Milk Money and I like it a lot, but that bike of yours is going to be a custom masterpiece. I can't wait to see how your bike comes out.

mtbr member
    I'm building up the new bike primarily for endurance riding and "racing." I put racing in quotes because there is never a chance of me placing higher than middle pack but I like to show up and soak up the vibe. I do some 100-milers, 12 hours, and long training rides.

Frame will have about 100mm of travel. Fork will be a 100mm G2 fox. I have a 73 degree HT on my waltworks hard tail and it handles great. I went. Little slacker on this build based on feedback from Chris at Generic.

The "dents" in the seat stays are ti flex points to make the rear more active. Feedback on the design has been very positive. He started doing those recently along with the extra support at the rear of the shock. Adds a tiny bit of weight but reduces flex.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Will post more picks as I get them.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Never seen "flex points" like that before. Solid Ti?

Those chainstays remind me of the Ragley.

They make one of the prettiest Ti frames:

and one of the ugliest Ti frames I have ever seen:

mtbr member
    Yes, the flex points are solid ti. The ends extend into the tubing. Chris is going to make a smoother transition at the seat tube junction so it will probably look different than that HT pic above.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Front Range Cyclist
    Chris is a good dude I can second that. Smart guy. Good guy. And that bike with the Maverick fork is owned by a guy I know....and a great suspension tuner, Luby at dirt labs. Sweet ride.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    ive always wondered why the flex from the plate behind the bb shell doesnt occur at the weld...and then fatigues the joint....i would have guessed the surface area of the weld would need to be errr, 'squarer' or would need to be braced at the bb shell in order to move the flex point rear wards along the plate..it must work as various builders (notably potts) have used this successfully it seems, but id be interested to get an informed persons explanation?
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Yeah the 3* difference should be a bit different handling and def more relaxed, if you're using a newer offset fork on your Waltworks. Figured it was an endurance "racer" Seriously how many of us "race" and actually do more than compete with ourselves? It's the challenge and comraderie we do it for.

I'm building up the new bike primarily for endurance riding and "racing." I put racing in quotes because there is never a chance of me placing higher than middle pack but I like to show up and soak up the vibe. I do some 100-milers, 12 hours, and long training rides.

Frame will have about 100mm of travel. Fork will be a 100mm G2 fox. I have a 73 degree HT on my waltworks hard tail and it handles great. I went. Little slacker on this build based on feedback from Chris at Generic.

The "dents" in the seat stays are ti flex points to make the rear more active. Feedback on the design has been very positive. He started doing those recently along with the extra support at the rear of the shock. Adds a tiny bit of weight but reduces flex.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Will post more picks as I get them.

mtbr member
    In this case I think "camaraderie" is just a fancy way of saying " shared suffering".

Offset on the waltworks is a standard F29... So 46 right? Chris said he was looking forward building up one of his softail designs around a G2 fork.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Just got a new pic. Tubes starting to come together. And before anyone comments on the welds - they will be cleaned up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-_dsc6510.jpg  

Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Hum, did he do a Boo, boo there on the DT and mitre it the wrong way? Sure looks like the mitre is the wrong way. DT also looks a "bit" short in that pic.

Just got a new pic. Tubes starting to come together. And before anyone comments on the welds - they will be cleaned up.

mtbr member
    Noticed that as well. Since it's not welded yet I'm assuming that piece might be a place-holder. I know he won't or can't leave it that way.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    cool frames 4 sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Hum, did he do a Boo, boo there on the DT and mitre it the wrong way? Sure looks like the mitre is the wrong way. DT also looks a "bit" short in that pic.
    not sure about the length, but the strange mitre looks to me like its actually a large patch of black sharpie on the bottom, like the red sharpie on the HT end for color coding end and orientation

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i think i am going to have a ti frame done

mtbr member
    The "oddness" along the bottom of the downtube is because he has not yet notched it out to mate up with the seat tube/BB junction. And Kudos to Chris at Generic for rapid responses to emails.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Very nice bike. I've been thinking about one these for awhile, how much time from start to finish do you think it will take if you don't mind my asking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtknee
    Very nice bike. I've been thinking about one these for awhile, how much time from start to finish do you think it will take if you don't mind my asking.
    Not exactly sure when he started or if he works more than one project at a time. It's also the holidays so I assume he took some time off. I placed the order in mid November and will have the frame mid/late January.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not exactly sure when he started or if he works more than one project at a time. It's also the holidays so I assume he took some time off. I placed the order in mid November and will have the frame mid/late January.
    Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see this finished with a ride report.

Happy New Year

mtbr member
    Interesting... Subscribed

mtbr member
    Just got a couple pics of some new bits of the frame. Images are the ti flex plate and the ti front and rear supports for the rear shock. Chris at Generic had to wait for the water cutter to make these - took longer than usual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-shock-mounts.jpg  

A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-flex-plate.jpg  

Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you get your frame yet? I'm talking to Chris right now for a hardtail. Love to see the welds and any updates you have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    how big of a rear tire can you run with that flex plate design?

mtbr member
    Still waiting on a frame. This is my second custom frame and nothing ever seems to play out on schedule. That is why on both I ordered in the late fall so they arrive by spring.

I will be able to run 2.25, and 2.4s without a problem.

Here's a picture of the flex plate welded to the BB shell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-flex-plate2.jpg  

Last edited by Vecsus; 01-29-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I will be able to run 2.25, and 2.4s without a problem.

Here's a picture of the flex plate welded to the BB shell.
    Looks flexy.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    Looks flexy.

I certainly hope so or it's gonna be one ugly, expensive, and overly-complicated hard-tail.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    new pic. starting to look more and more like a bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-frame7.jpg  

Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Frame is scheduled to arrive on monday. Some fresh pics from the builder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-frame1.jpg  

A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-frame2.jpg  

A New Generic Cycles Begins to Take Shape-frame3.jpg  

Last edited by Vecsus; 03-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtb
    Im diggin it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Very attractive.....
    Is that a bottle opener on the down tube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    Very attractive.....
    Is that a bottle opener on the down tube?
    Good catch. yes, that is indeed a bottle opener. A standard feature on his frames.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

trail rat
    Well, I can see again that our sense of humor is very different. I'll just leave.
    Last edited by slocaus; 03-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    hmm...will have to watch out for cables stretched across the trail. could be a nasty ejection
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweet frame. Looks like a winner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Good catch. yes, that is indeed a bottle opener. A standard feature on his frames.
    Nice feature...depending where you live and ride.
    It would be covered with mud and horse crap in my area.....e-coli and beer do not go well together (trust me)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sweet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Really sweet looking frame Vecsus. Love the curves. Can't wait to see it built up. I'm awaiting frame pics myself. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Tapered headtube? Hard to tell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    Tapered headtube? Hard to tell.
    No. But I agree that it looks a little like it might be.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Looking good Dude, is it in your possesion or did he snap those pics for you? Bottle opener thing is cool, no worries about it catching not on wires and suchs, but i digging in on log overs and such?

mtbr member
    Builder took those shots. Frame should arrive on Monday. Gonna be a long weekend.

I doubt I'll need to worry much about the opener catching anything. Chainring would smack most things first.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Congrats on the new bike Vecsus! Just a question on the dual seat tube set up - could you have done the extended seat mast thing that they do on carbon bike frames now, instead of the dual tube? Just curious

mtbr member
    Builder and I discussed some options for that part of the frame. In the end it was best to stick with what he was used to. I wasn't a big fan of that setup at first but I'm fine with it now. Just not something I'm used to seeing.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Looking good Dude, is it in your possesion or did he snap those pics for you? Bottle opener thing is cool, no worries about it catching not on wires and suchs, but i digging in on log overs and such?
    Think about what your asking.
    There will be chainrings that hit first...
    And if you're hitting a log that high on your downtube....you aren't going over anything except the bars.

mtbr member
    Maybe, but it all depends on how he runs it. He might go for a 1 x9 or 10 and use a 30 tooth ring or maybe a smaller 28t ring, do SS with similarly small ring etc., plus not all log are even, would only take a protrution you didn't see to maybe catch it. Sorry call me Mr. Pessimist when it comes to these things, as that old saying, "If it could go wrong, it probably will" seems to happen alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    Think about what your asking.
    There will be chainrings that hit first...
    And if you're hitting a log that high on your downtube....you aren't going over anything except the bars.

mtbr member
    I'll be running XX components. None of my previous frame ever took any hard hits in that area other than rocks kicking up.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    For those that are interested - the frame arrived yesterday. It is slightly heavier than I had hoped (2350 grams...was hoping for closer to 2100). I got it built up last night. Didn't get off work until after dark and a bike like this deserves better than a basement workshop pic. The whole build is 25.2 pounds. Not too bad considering the wheels are fork are not exactly lightweight.
    Last edited by Vecsus; 03-08-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    basement pictures are the best teasers

mtbr member
    Closing this thread. For pics of the complete build, follow this link:
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Members who have read this thread: 0