mtbr member
    Sep 2018

New to the forum, new (again) to biking

Hi all,
    I've been wanting for some time to do something to get some exercise, something that I really enjoy. The "enjoy" part has been the real hurdle. Last time I had a bike was when I bought a new Trek Y22, the carbon framed Y-bike (before V-brakes).

Fast forward, I picked up a used 2013 Stumpy, 29er, nicely upgraded, about a month ago and immediately started researching questions, little upgrading myself, and now, really enjoying it. My endurance and stamina are nowhere near what I'd like it to be, but I'm really enjoying getting there.

As a street bike rider (motorcycle), I'm having a bit of a time building up the trust in the equipment when on the dirt, more so when cornering, but I intend to get there or fall trying.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here and eventually providing input from my own experiences.
    New to the forum, new (again) to biking-stumpy-medium-.jpg
    New to the forum, new (again) to biking-yt-thumb-medium-.jpg

jcd's best friend
    Welcome! You should build trust in yourself. The bike has already been tested on the trails. It just needs you to set it up for how you want to ride it. I see you have a Fox 34 Factory fork. I have one installed on my bike too! They are awesome!

Do you have any mountain bike clinics in the area? They tend to pop up in different areas. The coaches can teach you skills that will help you become a more confident rider. If you are a "Do it Yourself" style of rider or you don't have any clinics in your area, I would recommend that you check out Ryan Leech's online mountain biking school. I signed up last month so I can learn some new stuff on my own. It's pretty awesome!

Other than that, just get out there and ride within your limits and have fun. Your strength and endurance will build over time.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks, the fork (a 2015 36 series Fit unit with an ACS-3 spring kit, 160mm) was an upgrade I made right after getting the bike. Even though I only tried the OEM fork a couple of times, I soon learned it was in dire need of service. The 36 series is HUGE improvement.

Don't know about any clinics in the area, never knew about them to even consider looking. Yeah, a bit of a do it myself-er, mostly because I don't want to lose motivation by seeing what everyone else is doing. That, and not having friends in the area that ride, scheduling, blah blah blah. I'm working on it though.

However, my neighbor who I just recently met, is a professional mountain bike racer, so I'm always asking him for advice on riding or maintenance questions. I think he's pretty extreme based on how he explains riding techniques. He keeps offering to go together on a ride. I may have to counter with a "threat" of a track day with the motorcycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Welcome! You should build trust in yourself. The bike has already been tested on the trails. It just needs you to set it up for how you want to ride it. I see you have a Fox 34 Factory fork. I have one installed on my bike too! They are awesome!

Do you have any mountain bike clinics in the area? They tend to pop up in different areas. The coaches can teach you skills that will help you become a more confident rider. If you are a "Do it Yourself" style of rider or you don't have any clinics in your area, I would recommend that you check out Ryan Leech's online mountain biking school. I signed up last month so I can learn some new stuff on my own. It's pretty awesome!

Other than that, just get out there and ride within your limits and have fun. Your strength and endurance will build over time.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk