New Build - Help me cheapen it up- Mtbr.com

Mar 2008

New Build - Help me cheapen it up

New Bike

Haven't been on a bike for 10 years and even then it was pretty stock builds. Last couple weeks Iíve been reading and researching and think I got a build I like......

However its f#[email protected]^ing expensive. I'm thinking 3k would be a sweet spot but I'm also a clyde (6'5 / 260) so need the beefier parts. Help me cheapen this build but still keep it clyde friendly, not too sure what I can get away with dropping to a lesser component.

Also I would love to hear some similar clyde friendly builds as I haven't forked out the cash yet, but the ventana seems like a pretty tight ride, cross between light weight and stiff. Also like the superfly but sounds like 250+ and carbon don't mix.

Well here it is, critique away

Frame Ventana El Padrino 29 White

Fork Fox 32 F29 RLC 80 White

Front Brake Magura Marta SL | Red | 180.00

Rear Brake Magura Marta SL | Red | 160.00

Shifter SRAM X.9 Twist

Crank Race Face Diabolus X-Type Triple with BB 165.00 22-32-44

Bottom Bracket Race Face Integrated to Crank

Front Derailleur SRAM X.9

Cassette SRAM PG-970 | Steel | 11-34

Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9 | L

Chain SRAM PC-971

Pedal Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL

Headset Chris King NoThread Set | Red

Stem Thomson X4 | Black | 100.00 | 0

Handlebar Easton EC90 XC SL Carbon Carbon Flat

Grip Livewrong Gusset Bastard | Highlighter Orange

Seatpost Thomson Elite Silver 410mm

Saddle WTB Pure V Race | Chrome

Front Tire Continental Mountain King 29 | Black | K | 2.40

Rear Tire Continental Mountain King 29 | Black | K | 2.40

Front Tube Butyl Presta 1.90-2.70

Rear Tube Butyl Presta 1.90-2.70

Wheelset Mavic C29ssmax Disc Black UST

Skewer Set Salsa Suspension flip-off | Red

Bike Weight: 23.42lbs Bike Sub-Total: $4,218.20

Expert Crasher
    Ways to save some $$:
    - you could drop the Magura Marta's and find some closeout 07 Juicy 7s.
    - drop the carbon bar in favor of a Salsa Pro Moto flatbar in aluminum
    - drop the Cmax wheelset for some Stan's Flows/Hope Pro2 hubs
    - drop the King headset in favor of a Cane Creek SOLOS or S8
    - drop the Salsa skewers and use XTs or the ones that come with the Mavic wheelset (if you get them)
    - drop the Fox F29 in favor of a RST M-29

At your weight, you'll trash the Eggbeaters, look for something more substantial like Time ATAC Aliums, they should be cheaper as well.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

anyone else smell that?
    for $200 you could get some hand laced wtb dual duty / xt hubs. with xt skewers. (bike29.com) these are very good for a clyde.
    $30 cane creek s3 headset.
    agree on the fork. rst is nice. many reba sl forks out there for <$300 (take-offs, etc.) i'm at 230 and don't notice any undue flex....but that's me.
    i don't recommend carbon anything for 260lb. rider. plenty of good bars out there for around $30-40.
    i really like thomson seat posts. stick with that even though they're $$.
    stems....eh...thomson are nice. lots of other 4 bolt stems for less.
    i've had really good luck with the chromo eggbeaters. easy in/out and very sturdy.
    the race face evolve cranks are available at pricepoint for $109 (in silver).
    i like the sram x9 stuff. x7 works just as well. but not much of a price difference, usually.

should be a friggin' sweet bike no matter how you build it up.

maybe it's just me, but i always like to throw something from the parts bin onto a bike....something used so it doesn't look like you just rolled out of the showroom. heh.

mtbr member
    Good advice so far. I totally agree on the wheels, you will trash those and spend a lot in the process. Crossmax on hardtails for big dudes is a no go, especially at a 29" size. Plus they are french, try to avoid french product if possible.

Save some money and buy some of your parts used off ebay. Lots of lightly used goodness still to be had there...

BWG
    mtbr member
    I agree with the above recommendations- at 260 you don't need any superlight/expensive parts (I'm 260 too).

-Pick up some of last years Juicy 7's - or even cheaper Juicy 5's. Get the larger 185 mm rotors for your weight.

-You can get a custom built wheelset for your weight with 36 spokes for less than the Mavics - and they will be stronger. Heavier too - it goes with the territory.

- You can get the RST or Reba forks for about 1/2 the cost of the Fox - you can set the Reba at 100 mm too if you want more cush - I like mine much better than at 80 mm. They all probably flex about the same. If you "have" to spend more money on a fork - get a White Brothers Fluid 110 with thru-axle - that's what us big boys really need.

- I got a Truvativ Stylo crank for 1/2 the cost of the Raceface (I have Raceface Deus and Evolve cranks too) - and I like the construction of the Stylo better - at about the same weight.

- You can't go wrong with X-9, Thomson,and King - but I like my Hope headset a little better than my King because of the Headlock it comes with instead of the star nut.

- I've got three pairs of the Eggbeater SL's - not a single problem with them - nothing to adjust - work great.
    -
    Last edited by BWG; 04-08-2008 at 07:42 AM.

anyone else smell that?
    or....$150 will get you 185mm bb7s with cables (i like jagwires).

Jun 2006
    I didn't think the marta sl's were srong enough in the steep terrain, and I weigh 190. Get Hopes if you want power and bling. Don't get a carbon flat bar at 250 lbs. Crossmax are flexy for the money. The hope pro II / Flow setup is sweet. I have 32 holes, but you should get the 36's. You should be able to find the through axle manitou 80/100 forks soon, and that would be stiffer and cheaper. I have a friend who is 275 and he is fine on the fox though.

Captain Underpants

I have an El Padrino

And I weigh appx as much as you. Some thoughts:

Buy the prebuilt wheels off Bike29. 36 hole.

Skip the RF crank and get XTs. I would not recommend going cheap on cranks at your weight.

I'd also suggest you spend a little extra and go with an XTR front bottom swing. It will shift much better than the SRAM, esp on the Padrino. I own a Padrino, and have run both. Save yourself the grief. I repeat: Save yourself the grief.

I'd also do the FSA Orbit extreme over the King.

Keep the Fox. Excellent Clyde fork. Waaaaay stiffer than the Reba.

You don't need the Thomson stuff, FSA and other make nice inexpensive stems/seatposts. Though personally, for a clyde, I'd find a used Ti seatpost at some point. Really helps with the ride.

Find some Juicys or BB7s on eBay. Better yet, some Louises. 180/180 minimum. 160 in the rear is just not enough stopping power for a clyde on a 29er.

What size frame? There were a few Padrinos in the classifieds a while back.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 04-08-2008 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Agree on the Stylo vs. Race Face.%2

mtbr member
    Ok so here's my 2 cents.
    For breaks try Hayes Stroker trails (comes in white to match your other stuff) or Hope Mono Minis. I never got along with my Juciys but thats me, your results may vary.
    The Flows/ Hope combo is top stuff but try to ride a set of Hopes before you decide because they're kinda loud, some people dig it, some don't. The sound drove me nuts, my buddie loved it.
    As far as the Crossmaxs go I've had no issues at all but I'm only 215.
    The Salsa Bar is also great stuff (flat or riser) but if you're looking to save weight stick with the carbon bar, 150 grams and plenty strong.
    Skip the Ti QRs and go with the Salsa stainless.
    The Hope headset is every bit as good as the King so if it can save $ go for it
    Nothing wrong withe the Egg beaters, but you might want to try the Candies for a larger contact area that's easier on you shoes.
    The Conti's are sweet but expensive, look at alternatives from WTB or Kenda, I've been liking the stuff from the big red S but I don't think they make that 2.4 size, 2.3 maybe? and go tubeless!
    The Fox is a great fork and I've had nothing but great prorfomace from every Fox I've owned, however give the Manitow Minute a look. I've been on mine for about 5 months and I like it better every time I ride it. Takes a while to break in but it's every bit as stiff as a Fox and it also comes in white..
    Keep the Thomson stuff, Competitive Cyclist has good prices and Thompson components are tried and true tuff and reliable.
    I agree with whoever about the XT crank (good deals an flebay).
    That should get you under 4k so goog luck. That's all I can think of for now and I sure I missed plenty but I gotta get back to work.

mtbr member
    Thinks that I'd do different:

- Get the Martas, and not the Marta SL (the extra $$ is not woth the minimal weight savings)

- Do not get the superlight handle bar (at your size a heavier bar is a good thing, and the SL is too narrow anyway)

- Get Shimano skewers into of the Salsas (The Salsas look great, but I find that they loosen over time with disc brakes, The Shimanos do not.)
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

HTFU and Ride
    The SL pedals might have a weight limit on them you can save some cash there and just go with the regular eggbeaters

i agree wth laffeaux on the bar, you would really feel the flex there and I think that would be unsettling.

the RF evolve crank set is nice, not as expensive and still nice and stiff.

the fork is a place you can save $ but I have heard the Reba is pretty flexy for us big fellas. it is a whole lot cheaper than the F29 though. the white bros forks are more than the reba but less than the fox and still nice and stiff (thru axle available)
    Winter is coming.

Captain Underpants
    Oh, and with a 4" Headtube, you will want a riser bar, unless you are racing.

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    Not sure if you want to build up your own wheels, but speedgoat has some 36 hole Hope Bulbs in their clearance section. Red too to match the other red goodies on your build. Match them up with some Flows or rims of your choice and you can come away easily under $500 for a super solid set of wheels. Or have them build it up for probably around $600 and still be way less than the Mavics and have custom wheels for your ride.

Mar 2008
    Nice...you guys kick ass! Thanks for all the replies.

Switching up to the XT cranks, and hope headset. The brakes I'm having a tough time with, save $$$ going with the BB7 but at my size and that i'm in the Northwest (lots o' hills) wondering if I should stick it out with Hydraulic? Maybe the Margura Louise or the Stroker? Then again just getting the BB7 and saving the cash to upgrade later might be the best way to go.

Also looking strongly at the Biker29 wheels, at 200$ that is saving me 550$ right there.
    Last edited by lithium; 04-08-2008 at 03:13 PM.

anyone else smell that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    And I weigh appx as much as you. Some thoughts:

Buy the prebuilt wheels off Bike29. 36 hole.

i'd much rather have a handbuilt set with 32 spokes than a machine built 36 spoke set of wheels.

and i'm fatter than you so i win.

anyone else smell that?
    going with the hope headset for the color? if not, do not discount the s-3/s-6/s-8. tons of folks run them and love them.

for your weight...i'd highly recommend the thomson seatpost. check out the last photo....

http://www.lhthomson.com/gallery.htm

as for the crankset....the xts are nice. the lxs are just as nice imo....and probably most of the difference is steel rings instead of some lighter aluminum.

the martas would probably work great for you....in an increased rotor size. bb7s are fantastic for the price....and it's super easy to get them with bigger rotors. same can be said for the juicy's etc. to me, it's just a bit easier to replace cables than it is bleed hydraulics. but i bought a used set that came on a bike. so i'm basically rebuilding them (marta sl).

i started biking at about 300 lbs. with much lower level stuff than you're getting....so i think you'll be fine. you really don't want to save too much weight at 260!

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl

i'd much rather have a handbuilt set with 32 spokes than a machine built 36 spoke set of wheels.

and i'm fatter than you so i win.
    Not in a marathon, you don't.

He's trying to bring the cost down. Good handbuilts: at least $400. Prebuilts: half that. Heck, you can find cheapies on fleabay for $100 that will last a year. I did that before building up my Hopes/Rhynos.

But I agree with you: Hand built wheels will be waaay stronger than machine laced rims. And I also would prefer hand laced 32's to machine lace 36's.

OP: White frame? Is this a new frame that you are ordering? You can save $150 by going with stock color!
    Attached Images Attached Images

anyone else smell that?
    i was talkin' bout the handlaced $200 dual duties on xt hubs at bike29.com. hell of a deal.

anyone else smell that?
    hey rd, how have the rhynos been treating you? i absolutely love 'em in 26" form....haven't tried the 29ers yet. still doing ok with a set of mustang osbs and mavic a719s of all things.

BWG
    mtbr member
    You can get complete front and rear hydro Juicys for the same or less than BB7s once you buy the brakes, cables and levers. I've had both and the hydros are WAY more powerful than the cables at no cost penalty - a no brainer in my opinion.

Mar 2008

Good job!

Got it nailed down and was able to even upgrade a few items. Too much time online looking for parts today, head is killing me. But worth it. Pricepoint was a win, also stumbled onto mashers which had some great prices too.

I'm thinking another 300 for wheels/tires (Bike29), and the same for magura louise should put me at about 3500 (unless I can ebay some brakes, might be able to drop it another 100). I might go through it one more time and seperate out the want from the need and see if I can get this down to 3k.

Q: Where are the 36 Dual duty? Do you have to contact bike29 directly? All I am seeing is the 32 spoke.

2930.00 got me

Frame Ventana El Padrino 29 White 22.00 24.50 Disc 3.88lbs
    Fork Fox 32 F29 RLC 80 White 9mm 80-80mm 1755g
    ----Included Race Face Deuce XC Headset------
    Shifter Shimano XT Pods SL-M770 260g
    Crank Shimano XT Aluminum 165.00 22-32-44 850g
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Hollowtech II | CrMo
    Shimano 2008 XTR FD-M971 Front Derailleur 120 grams
    Cassette Shimano XT M770 | Steel | 11-34 297g
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT M771 Traditional Rise | L 239g
    Chain Shimano XT HG93 304g
    Pedal Crank Brothers Acid 2 | White 354g
    Stem Thomson Elite X4 31.8mm MTB Stem - Silver 166 grams
    Spank Lounge Riser Bar White 390g
    Grip Livewrong Gusset Bastard | Highlighter Orange 95g
    Seatpost Thomson Elite Silver 410mm 293
    WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle | White/Red 210g

Mar 2008
    Decided to keep the Fox, don't want to cheap out there, Reba is iffy at my weight.

- 150. Thinking of dropping the white for the superdust.
    - 150. Cheaper pedals and seat.
    -200. (300 for the louise if I could find any with a 180 rotor) Really considering going with the Juicy and upgrading later.

At this point a lot hangs on the Bike29 wheels, otherwise I'll end up w/custom and that will be at least 400. Which might not be too bad if I go with the cheaper brakes, pedals and seat.
    Last edited by lithium; 04-09-2008 at 01:49 AM.

mtbr member
    You got soem advice here and made some good switches, but I'll just add my $0.02.

Cranks I would have gone to LX even as they're a bit heavier and a lot cheaper, pretty much the Hone AFAIK. Wheels was a good call on dropping $$$. Fork Would have gone for the RST there to save some more $$$.

Tyre selection I have to ask - what's the terrain like where you ride? If it isn't seriously loose stuff - dirt, rocks etc - then ditch the Mtn Kings and get some Ignitors, as the Mtn Kings are not fun on anything else - light loose over hardpack is just downright scary on these -, unless it's pure on slush mud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 0