New Bikes W / 12x36- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New Bikes W / 12x36

I noticed that a few of the new bikes are being released with the 12x36 cassette. Are these the lower end heavy Shimano cassettes or something better?

Harmonius Wrench
    For 2010 there is only the Deore level 12-36 or SRAM XX 10 speed with a 36T low gear.

For 2011 it looks as though there will be even more options with this extended range.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    For 2010 there is only the Deore level 12-36 or SRAM XX 10 speed with a 36T low gear.

For 2011 it looks as though there will be even more options with this extended range.
    Good to hear, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Personally, I am hoping Shimano comes up with a 4 bolt crankset that will allow a 20/30/40. Why introduce a product that addes weight (cassette), when you could offer one that achieves the same end result while losing weight (crankset)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The non-XX option is a Shimano #CS-HG61-9, which is all steel, (no alloy spider like an XT cassette). It's heavy, but is has the range some people are looking for. My 2010 Epic Comp 29 came with one... I put a Sram PG-990 (11-34T) on in its place, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    Personally, I am hoping Shimano comes up with a 4 bolt crankset that will allow a 20/30/40. Why introduce a product that addes weight (cassette), when you could offer one that achieves the same end result while losing weight (crankset)?
    With Sram's XX 2x10 drivetrain out and getting generally good reviews, and Shimano's rumored new 2x10 XTR group, I'm betting the trend is going to move toward 2x10, and away from 3x9 or (3x10). In other words, don't hold your breath for a 20-30-40 crankset... Once XTR goes to 2x10, XT & SLX will probably soon after follow suit... You know Shimano...

At the same time, though, I bet there's other boutique companies (salsa, race face, surly, niner, etc.) looking at the drivetrain / gear ratio revolution for 29ers... and deciding what parts to introduce into the market. So you may have some hope for what you're looking for... Send salsa, surly, etc., an email telling them what you want... if they know there's enough demand for a product, I'm sure they'd be happy to make and sell it, to turn a profit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i used an action tec 20 tooth for along time,i didn't have any problems with it, but i think if you let your chain go dry or go out in really muddy condition( i don't) there's more issues with chain suck with a 20 tooth. If a 36 tooth xt cassette comes out, i'd probabely go with it ,even if it just gives me a lower ,still usable middle ring low gear.If you can avoid a front shift with a back shift it a worthwhile swap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPJIMMY71
    The non-XX option is a Shimano #CS-HG61-9, which is all steel, (no alloy spider like an XT cassette). It's heavy, but is has the range some people are looking for. My 2010 Epic Comp 29 came with one... I put a Sram PG-990 (11-34T) on in its place, though.

it wasnt worth the wieght with the 36t? no difference, a difference...

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPJIMMY71
    With Sram's XX 2x10 drivetrain out and getting generally good reviews, and Shimano's rumored new 2x10 XTR group, I'm betting the trend is going to move toward 2x10, and away from 3x9 or (3x10). In other words, don't hold your breath for a 20-30-40 crankset... Once XTR goes to 2x10, XT & SLX will probably soon after follow suit... You know Shimano...
    Not "soon after", "is". 2011 XTR, XT and SLX will all be 10s, and they will all continue to offer a triple, with several double crankset options in each level.

Members who have read this thread: 0