new bike with noisy bottom bracket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

new bike with noisy bottom bracket

Hello, I recently purchased a 2019 specialized Epic hard tail comp, brand new. (closeout sale of last year's model).
    It is my first experience with 29 inch wheels and single chain ring up front. Anyway, I love the bike, carbon frame makes it very light, but, the techs at my local bike shop have not been able to eliminate the noise from bottom bracket.
    At first I was told it is usually the pedals, and have tried multiple platform pedals as well as my old egg beaters, same issue. When applying a lot of torque, I get a squeeky noise, and can feel the source as coming from bottom bracket.
    they tried overhauling bottom bracket, and said Specialized does not pack enough grease in there at factory, and sometimes that causes the issue. That also did not change anything.

With all that is going on in the world, it feels a bit silly to worry about such a small thing. This would still be a suitable guest bike, so I hesitate to return it, but I was not shopping for a guest bike, you know?

anyone know if this is a known issue with this make/model, and carbon hard tails in general?

Meatbomb
    Does it sound like a duck fart? My pedals do that on occasion and a little chain lube on the cleats cures it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Does it sound like a duck fart? My pedals do that on occasion and a little chain lube on the cleats cures it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HTforme View Post
    At first I was told it is usually the pedals, and have tried multiple platform pedals as well as my old egg beaters, same issue.
    please read before you respond.

I don't know much about that bike's bottom bracket, but it appears to be a press-fit model. is that correct? because they are pressed in and not threaded in, they require a tight fit from the frame and the BB cup. it sucks to have this from a brand new bike, but one solution might be to replace the BB with one that threads together and fits in a PF frame. Wheels MFG. makes one such product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HTforme View Post
    With all that is going on in the world, it feels a bit silly to worry about such a small thing.
    It would be silly NOT to worry about it.

It appears to be a press fit BB. I have had several bikes with PF and do now as well. I've never had issues with PF BB's and every time I thought it was the BB, it turned out to be something else. One time it was a brake line rubbing against the frame.

But, it still could be the BB. The idea that Specialized doesn't "pack enough grease" sounds wrong. You don't press in a BB with grease. I'd be skeptical of that excuse.

Pedals, chainring, even cassette should be checked for proper installation, lubing and torque....I've also had noise from the cassette sound like a BB. Everything sounds like a creaky BB!

My wife says I sound like a bad BB.

Your Best Friend
    I've had two bikes with creaky PF BBs. Nothing fixed it. The manufacturing tolerance can be off by less than 1mm and it will creak. I went with Wheels Mfg threaded models and while not cheap, it fixed the issue completely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    thank you, will let you know what my lbs says about this advice. It certainly does look like PF, though I'm not a mechanic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    please read before you respond.

I don't know much about that bike's bottom bracket, but it appears to be a press-fit model. is that correct? because they are pressed in and not threaded in, they require a tight fit from the frame and the BB cup. it sucks to have this from a brand new bike, but one solution might be to replace the BB with one that threads together and fits in a PF frame. Wheels MFG. makes one such product.
    Epic hardtail went to a threaded BB in 2018

Itís a standard threaded BSA with a metal slug in the carbon frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The 2019 model is listed as a PF30 bottom bracket. Maybe that's an error.

PF=press fit, right?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...-comp/p/154334

mtbr member

PF=press fit, right?

Yes.
    Certainly something like a Wheels MFG BB would solve the problem, but if it is a tolerance issue on the frame, I'd have the LBS notify Specialized for a warranty replacement. It's also possible the bearings were damaged on installation.

I know people have had problems with PF, but the manufacturer should cover it. I've had a Pivot, 2 Yetis and a Giant that all have PFs and have popped them out and replaced them myself on all 4 with no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Same here, never a problem with any press fit bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

PF=press fit, right?

Bizarre, it jumps all around when you look at their hardtail models on the site. The S works frame is PF, and you can see it is in the picture.

We have a 19 epic sworksand it is threaded BSA.

Specialized does have the worst site, and archiving system in the industry. *

mtbr member

new bike with noisy bottom bracket

I went through a similar situation with my 2019 Specialized Fuse Comp. Creaky noises from the bottom bracket area. Tried pedals, nope. Bb? Nope.

Mine was a loose crank arm bolt. I tightened it down and the noise went away. I would still have to tighten the bolt a couple of times a month just to keep it quiet.

Then somethings else started making noises in the same general area. It drove me crazy until I realized
    that the left crank arm was coming loose from the BB spindle and had developed some play. I was able to temporarily stabilize it by letting some loctite seep into the cracks between the crank arm and the spindle. Iím not sure what crank yours has; mine was a Stout.

Hereís a pic of what I had. Iíve since replaced the cranks with SRAM SX Eagle set and replaced the BB with a SRAM PF30 Dub unit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I recently fought a similar issue on my bike. I was convinced it was the bottom bracket or crankset. Long story short, it was the rear axle. Whenever I pushed hard on the cranks, it would creak. I removed it, cleaned it, greased the threads, and reinstalled it. Since itís so easy to do, it might be worth checking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Update: took bike in to LBS where bought, and they took care of it. Very quiet now, let's hope it doesn't return. The techs seemed to think it was more an issue with cassette bearings, derailleur hanger, etc. They spent at least 30 minutes on it. Unfortunately the info was relayed to me secondhand verbally, so I probably am not being totally accurate; due to local policy we aren't allowed in the shop to watch and learn from the techs like in the good ole days, but suffice to say they did concentrate on rear drive train, which surprised me.

I asked if maybe it had nothing to do with BB all along, and they were not ready to say yes to that. Seems that may have been part of the issue, too. I asked about the Wheels MFG that a few on this thread have referred to, and they were not aware of that or any threaded BB solution compatible with this frame. But personally I'm still glad to know I could look into such a solution as last resort if noise does return.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    For what itís worth, I have never had what sounded like BB noise actually be the BB. I always track them down myself. An Carbon Frames are insane at transmitting sound so everything sounds like itís in the downtube.