New Bike! Need help with tire selection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

New Bike! Need help with tire selection

Hello,

I just picked up a barely used 2010 Fisher Cobia for what i think is a good deal ($750). The person that had it before me used it mainly on street so he put slicks on it. I am new to the sport and dont really know anything about tires and sizes.

I am from northern VA if that helps. I read about nevegals but dont know if they will be too aggressive for my riding (mostly single track, lots of climbing, mostly hard packed, some rock gardens, etc). Also, maybe the small blocks? Should i get the same tires for front and rear or different? How thin or wide should i go?

Looking to not spend too much on the tires and those both look cheap on jenson.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Also, if you have any other suggestions that i should do to make the bike a little better for cheap money, let me know.

No longer 26
    Really like the small block 8 on the back. I like a bit more aggressive tread on the front. Currently running SB8 rear, Bonty 29-3 2.25 front. Great hardpack to loose over hard combo so far.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    The old tire choice dilemma. My choice Maxxis Ignitors or Crossmarks. Why? Both fairly light at the 600 gram range for the non-tubeless versions (you don't need the tubeless versions), they're relatively cheap, they convert to tubeless easily and hold air quite well, and they hold up to hard riding. I always run the same tires front and rear. Ignitors have a little more bite the Crossmarks roll a little faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Panaracer Rampage 29ers are one of my fav.

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ignitors are a good all-around choice, used them for a good number of years.

Now shod with Geax Saguaros, which I think are excellent in dry conditions.

Master of Disaster
    +1 for Geax Saguaro
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Members who have read this thread: 0