New bike issues and questions (fork)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

New bike issues and questions (fork)

Hello I have bought a new bike , a felt dispatch 29 and as I haven't owned a bike with disk brakes I don't know if some things are normal.

1. the fork when I tightened the wheel (quick release) seemed like it bended the fork inward a bit as if the the two sides of the fork are now not parallel, should I add washers on the axle to make it wider? there is not much room for washers....

2 . when I use the front brake I can see the front wheel tilt to the left about half a cm otherwise when not braking the wheel seems perfectly in line. the brake puds are not touching the brake when not in use .

Co Springs
    Welcome to the mtbr forums-

I think the fork is just conforming to the with of the wheel/hub/axel as you cinch it down. Not too many variables at play in that part of the bike but if the bike is indeed 'new', a visit and check up on anything questionable is usually a simple thing if you got it at a shop.
    Did you buy it and put it together on your own ? Chain Reaction has a vid on assembly.

On Q #2, It sounds like you don't have the axel lined up on the fork at a perfect 100%. Just loosen the QR and redo it making sure it sets in place on both side properly. From you description, it doesn't sound like the wheel is bent or not 'true'. On thru axel I don't think there any washer used.

If the bike came from a shop, it's possible is was a hurried or sloppy build. These things can happen but they should be good about checking anything out like that and correcting it. If you put it together yourself, a bike shop can still do an overview and check or correct things as their pricing or service menu would apply.
    I'm not much of wrencher so you'll very possibly get some detailed q and a by others. Just clarifying if you bought it built from a shop new or assembled yourself will help others with suggestions.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is also a low-end QR fork, no? So the connection isn't going to be very solid and the brake torque is going to probably cause a significant amount of flex. It's also possible that the QC on the fork isn't that great and that it is pinched a little. This can cause excessive binding and contribute to endos when you get in rough terrain at slower speeds.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by podilato View Post
    Hello I have bought a new bike , a felt dispatch 29 and as I haven't owned a bike with disk brakes I don't know if some things are normal.

1. the fork when I tightened the wheel (quick release) seemed like it bended the fork inward a bit as if the the two sides of the fork are now not parallel, should I add washers on the axle to make it wider? there is not much room for washers....

2 . when I use the front brake I can see the front wheel tilt to the left about half a cm otherwise when not braking the wheel seems perfectly in line. the brake puds are not touching the brake when not in use .

I asked at a bike shop and they said it is natural the fork to bend inwards.The problem was that I had not tightened the front quick release enuf , the wheel is fine now.....