New Bike - Geometry Input Needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

New Bike - Geometry Input Needed

I'm looking at getting bike and have tried a number of different models.

A bit about me: 6ft1 with a 32.5" inseam and fingertip to finger tip of 6'4". So I definitely have a longer torso, proportionally, and some ape arms.

I have tried a L and XL Rocky Instinct BC Edition Alloy. The reach of the two bikes are 454 mm and 481 mm.

I'm not an aggressive rider and usually keep the wheels on the ground.

Attached are two pics of me on the XL model.

New Bike - Geometry Input Needed-20191015_072715.jpgNew Bike - Geometry Input Needed-20191015_072533.jpg

So, my questions are.. Does the XL look too long? Would the reach on the L be too short?

WillWorkForTrail
    That doesn't look too long, and only because you say you're not an aggressive rider, I'd say that's fine. If you were an aggressive rider, I might ask if you were sure you had enough room to do something like, maybe add a longer dropper. One size smaller frame with a littler longer than stock stem on it might give you room for a longer dropper if your legs are "short" because the seat tube on the frame would be shorter.

mtbr member
    6'2" individual here, 33" inseam. I only ride XLs. IMO, you should be on an XL as well.

mtbr member
    That XL actually looks pretty small under you relative to some of the newer geometry bikes. A 481 mm reach is actually closer to a large in most models these days. No way you should be on the size L Rocky.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    IMO the XL looks good, my only question is do you "need" a FS? (considering you're not aggressive) or are you planning on getting aggressive?
    The next paragraph is intended as help not to be rude......
    If you are planning to get aggressive, l would say it is worth investing in a good wheelset, you dont appear to be "starving" and will be havoc on shit wheels (l was 98kgs naked, so l know), just something to consider
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks folks!

I agree that I don't look starved but full planning on being trimmer by next season.

Going to give the XL a try on a trail to make sure it doesn't have a boat feel. If not, XL it is.

Anything is going to be better than my '14 Trance x 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Might want to check out the Kona Process 153 CR(DL) as well, similar geometry with a bit longer reach, but a more modern 76 degree seat angle. No changes between '19 & '20 so you could probably fond either RM or Kona on sale.

But size wise the reach #'s should be great I'm 5'10 & on a 450 reach bike, not too long, not too short. Although who knows what the bike industry is going to tell me next year.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How much will my arm length impact how tight the cockpit feels while standing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd guess a fair amount but if you're not massively out of proportion a 480 reach isn't crazy.

Short reach is pretty obvious, you feel cramped and unstable in the air

Overly long reach you'll feel like you're too stretched out & possibly washing out on fast corners as you're not weighting the front enough with the bikes geometry.

Proper reach, you'll be stable up, down & while flying through the air. Sharp cornering grip you shouldn't have to go out of your way to weight the front, but you'll have front forward bias from the geometry.

If you can I would try & test ride as many bikes as you're able to. Not that it's right but more modern reach numbers for an XL is 500-510 with 470-480 being a modern Large.

76 degree seat angles are the new normal that compensates for the longer reach while climbing so you're not too far back.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    How much will my arm length impact how tight the cockpit feels while standing?
    I am 5'10" on a 475 reach bike and moving to a 490ish reach bike soon. I can't imagine going back to something shorter. At your height 480 would be the bare minimum and something in the 510 range isn't abnormal now. Once you ride the newer geometry on a trail it all makes sense. Way more traction climbing and you don't have to fight the front wheel lifting. Can still get it around any tight switchback or technical situation. You stay balanced in between the axles rather than having to exaggerate weight shifts forwards and back to get through sections. There is a reason that new trail bikes like Norco's recent release or the Stumpjumper Evo are becoming the norm with slack HA's, steep SA's and long reaches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So, I rode the XL today for about an hour.

The seat post was dropped as far down as it could. When the dropper was at its highest position, it was comfortable. So I couldn't go any lower as the highest dropper position.

I did feel like the seat distance to the handlebars was a bit far. From my seat post to the handlebars of my current bike it is approximately the same as the rocky. However, my current bike has 730 mm bars while the rocky has 780 mm. So I wonder if the wider arms is contributing to stretched feeling.

While standing, the bike felt great. No issues at all.